Thread: Whoops I just brought a LASERWORLD DISCO-500G laser

Default Whoops I just brought a LASERWORLD DISCO-500G laser

Well I thought no time like the presence and I have just brought a LASERWORLD DISCO-500G system.

I fancy a nice sensible powered small laser to play with so i choose this one.

here is the spec.

When I receive it would you like me to give you a review of the product?
    Photos of inside etc?

I paid £500 for it so its quite sensibly priced for pounds per mw's. Thats if it gives anything near the 500mw power output.

A single 500mw laser head alone will cost more if imported from china without any scanning so its worth a try.

Hi AP and welcome ... please do give a review .... yep not a bad price for that laser ... there have been some mixed reviews of laserworl stuff ( most of the negatives have been because of the outputs are lower than described )

all the best .. Karl

I HAD the same laser.

Neg.:

TTL laser
    Single ended K12n scanners

pos.:
    small housing
    tec cooled laser

If its only TTL mod, then it wouldnt be hard to get a new driver for it, if it actually did 500mw ...

Default Email from laserworld.

I have emailed laserworld about running the system from my ishow software and there reply was:

I don't know if it works with your software, but, unlike the standard ILDA, it has single ended inputs (both for x/y and green), so it depends if your hardware supports single ended inputs

What does this all mean? whats single ended inputs?

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

differential inputs are used on pro gear to prevent noise pickup from the environment and bad grounding in line power. They use two wires plus a grounded cable shield.
    Single ended is poor man's way to easy compatability with control gear.
    Single ended uses 1 signal wire and 1 ground wire and can pick up noise and doesnt work well at long distances. Dont worry, all software/dac supports single ended by default. You may just end up with a smaller max image size at worse. There is a adjustment on most galvo amps for image size so that is a possibly moot point.

Steve

It's also not possible to use single ended and diferential together on 1 ILDA port, if you do connect the laser with differential input together with a single ended you will end up with half image size.

This is the reason I sold this laser.

Also modding to analog is not that easy as it got tec driver.

The Disco is his budget range and consists of cheaper built lasers.

That doesn't necessarily mean they're bad, just that you're getting the cheaper end so slower scanners and by the looks of it a cheaper control set up.

His Show and Pro projectors tend to be better specified.

I own an RS (Show) projector and after an initial scare about power output, I have to say I'm very satsified with mine. An inspection with an experienced member on here, left him quite impressed with the laser in terms of build quality and part quality. In fact the only thing that wasn't great in mine were the dichros (passable) and the red laser which was to power spec but had a wide beam resulting in probably 1/2 of the beam never exiting the projector, a common problem with reds. On the other hand, the beam on my green was tight and yours is green so provided its making its claimed power, it should be ok.