Thread: Projector case external finishing questions...

Default Projector case external finishing questions...

The RGB rig is finally starting to look like a real projector, with just a little more final finish work to do before it's ready for some laser lables!

Before I go much further, I had a couple of questions for those of you who have built one or two of these along the way:

* For those who have opted for a "brushed metal" finish on parts of your projector case, do you use any kind of clear spray sealant to help protect the bare metal? I'll have some sheet metal and aluminum angle that I plan on leaving bare.

* Any recommendations for a relatively inexpensive way to get "professional" looking labels for the projector control panel?

Thanks!

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Hey Randy,

One way to protect unfinished metal is to have it clear EPC'd.. That is Clear Epoxy Powder coat..

I spent a lot of time labeling interfaces. I bunched all the input/outputs etc close together on a removable panel. I got some waterproof, sticky back A4, High Gloss paper off Ebay. Then designed a label in PowerPoint, the reason I used PPT is that it allows you to draw actual size. Finally print and carefully cut out the label.. After application, I sprayed the finished thing with circuit board protector spray to finally ensure it was water proof..

Finished object in attached picture...

Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1224.JPG  

http://www.eastwoodco.com/

They have some clear spray on there somewhere that you could use. I used it to protect some polished aluminum trim on a car I restored.

Hey Stuka

I used the Avery brand – “White Heavy Duty Labels - Laser - L7067” for the labels on my projector and they work really well

“Durable polyester labels for outdoor, industrial and warehouse use. Waterproof, weatherproof and resistant to oil, detergent and grease. Stick to metal, glass, plastic and wood.”

Designed everything in Visio, slapped a sheet through the laser printer, cut them out then stuck them to the projector. Too easy!

However when you say cheap, a pack cost me AU$40 for 24 sheets so it’s not the absolute cheapest option but probably cheaper than most options. If I lived locally to you I’d send you a few sheets as I don’t have much use for the other 20 sheets.

Another hint if you do use this stuff is not to get your fingerprints on the printable surface as the toner doesn’t stick properly.

BTW, I’ve uploaded the Visio files for the Avoid Exposure and Danger labels to the FTP site.

Troy
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Good ideas - thanks everyone!

(And thanks for uploading the signs, Troy!!)

Nice looking rig, Mark!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....