Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Passive Heatsinking Only - Comments

You can also use bigger fans at lower speeds if you don't like the wining sounds of fans.

A big fan at low speed produces almost no noise, and the noise is lower pitched so less irritating.

That could work nicely I am looking at using water cold plates a small, co2 laser water pump and a row of 72 watt melcor water heat exchangers on exterior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Hi

I'm currently working on the details of a complete projector rebuild. In my current projector I have a single layer design 10mm aluminuium baseplate and use a couple of fans to create airflow to keep the electronics cool. In the new projector i'm going to move to a dual layer design with a sealed optics compartment.

Also, i've recently accquired a set of CT6215's with the 671 drivers (60k) , I believe these can get quite warm when driven hard. I will also be adding a 635nm Red to my existing dual Maxyz setup using the group buy dichro. I have a 300mW laserwave green (constantly outputting just a tad under 500mW ) and a Lasever 200mW blue (outputting a nice steady 212mW). I also have plans to add some 445nm blue in there but that depends on funds

In my rebuild I want to avoid the use of fans altogether and have been looking at this...

http://www.birminghamaluminium.com/heatsink_detail/83

I reckon there should be enough surface area on this stuff to dissipate any residual heat by convection alone, i'll put case vents in the bottom and top/back of the projector. It should also be nice and stable.

What do you folks think?

Cheers

Jem
    clicking on my avatar will show the tricolor photocoagulator resonator cavity from a Lumenis Varia eye surgery medical laser, which i am attempting to refit. It originally was designed to produce 50-1500mw of 532 / 50-600mw of 659nm / 50-600mw of 561nm (Yellow)
    Clicking on my Avatar will show a picture of the inside of this cavity with a 1cm bar diode in the first of 3 OEM postions & KTP holder.
    Caviar Dreams on pennies, well lots of pennies.

Any temperature controlled relay type thing should work, just make sure it has variable temp. limit control, you dont want your projector reaching 50C before the fans come on

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenVDV View Post
    I'm still looking for a simple IC with temperature sensor input (to connect NTC) and with an input for the temperature-setpoint (to connect variable resistor) and a switch output to switch on/off a fan via transistor/thrysistor.. Would be a nice solution.
    Then I have just the thing for you!
    The Microchip TC620/621
    The 620 has a built in temperature sensor while the 621 connects to an external NTC sensor.

They are simple 8-pin DIP IC's that have outputs for if a MAX temp is exceeded and one if a MIN temp is reached.

You can sample these for free from microchip.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDee View Post
    Then I have just the thing for you!
    The Microchip TC620/621
    The 620 has a built in temperature sensor while the 621 connects to an external NTC sensor.

They are simple 8-pin DIP IC's that have outputs for if a MAX temp is exceeded and one if a MIN temp is reached.

You can sample these for free from microchip.
    Man... I've been searching for ages for an IC like that! Great, thanks!

Now I just have to find out how to design a PCB.. Working on it!

Now I just have to find out how to design a PCB.. Working on it!
    Hmmm... When you've designed the PCB and have a working model you could perhaps consider building a few more units to sell on here, I happen to know one customer who'll probably be interested

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

I'm working at a software company which also designs USB>DMX hardware and other electronics.. So no problem to get some help here

I'm working at a software company which also designs USB>DMX hardware and other electronics.. So no problem to get some help here

Well... It looks very pretty

Just need someone to build it now
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Well... It looks very pretty
    It's a screendump from the TC621 datasheet...

Just need someone to build it now
    I'm currently working on some PCB-designs for the laserprojectors we're building here (connector-PCB's with Ethercon for ILDA in/out and on the inside PCB-headerconnectors for connection to the lasers/scanners/etc). The only problem is that a day only has 24 hours...

The only problem is that a day only has 24 hours...
    You mean you suffer from that problem as well

I don't know about you, but I find that work really interferes with playing time

Thanks for your help.

Jem