Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Passive Heatsinking Only - Comments

Default Passive Heatsinking Only - Comments

Hi

I'm currently working on the details of a complete projector rebuild. In my current projector I have a single layer design 10mm aluminuium baseplate and use a couple of fans to create airflow to keep the electronics cool. In the new projector i'm going to move to a dual layer design with a sealed optics compartment.

Also, i've recently accquired a set of CT6215's with the 671 drivers (60k) , I believe these can get quite warm when driven hard. I will also be adding a 635nm Red to my existing dual Maxyz setup using the group buy dichro. I have a 300mW laserwave green (constantly outputting just a tad under 500mW ) and a Lasever 200mW blue (outputting a nice steady 212mW). I also have plans to add some 445nm blue in there but that depends on funds

In my rebuild I want to avoid the use of fans altogether and have been looking at this...

http://www.birminghamaluminium.com/heatsink_detail/83

I reckon there should be enough surface area on this stuff to dissipate any residual heat by convection alone, i'll put case vents in the bottom and top/back of the projector. It should also be nice and stable.

What do you folks think?

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

jem,

you could have all lasers, optics and galvo head on the top level and seal it. then put all the psu's and everything else on the bottom level with fans.

i have done my projector this way although the top is not sealed. the optics are pretty clean (the galvos mirrors arent though, but they have never been cleaned)

just another option for you to consider
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Thanks Andy, but I want to avoid the use of fans altogether if possible. It's just something about the constant annoying drone that drives me mad.

In a nightclub environment where the music is blasting out at billions of decibels and making your ears bleed, the noise from the fans isn't a problem. However, when i'm using the projector in the house to some nice relaxing chillout music, the constant whine of the fans drives me mad.

So, this is more about when i'm using my projector at home in a quieter environment.

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

I ran mine for awhile without fans but for short periods and I had a hole in the case for hot air to escape through. Everything was mounted on a big aluminum plate and it all got nice and warm after awhile but never hot. But even still, I am redesigning the case now to add a couple of fans because I think it is a good idea. I understand your concern about noise, though. Have you considered adding switches or speed controls for the fans so at home you can run quietly and when using at clubs you can crank up the fans?

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    Have you considered adding switches or speed controls for the fans so at home you can run quietly and when using at clubs you can crank up the fans?
    Hi Gary

Thanks for the reply. I had wondered about the possibility of putting some sort of thermostatic controlled fans in the projector. Sad thing is that I wouldn't know where to start with this.

Perhaps if I could buy something off the shelf that would do this it would probably be worth consideration. A nice little lcd display with a temparature setting control on it would be good. When the temp inside the case hits <whatever> degrees, the fans switch on until it's cooled sufficiently and then they switch off again.

Any suggestions???

Jem

I'm sure what you are asking for is already built but I don't know where to get it. Just slap a big home digital A/C thermostat on your laser case. They run on 24v I think. haha. That would be funny.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

You could bastardize some PC fans to do the job.
    It would even add a nice LED display which would increase the "Boy Toy" factor!!

HeHe, we enter a whole new realm of possibilities here...

Pimp my Projector

Jme

our projectors are already pimped

surely laser lighting is better than led lighting?!
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Cool

Hi Jeremy;

There are a number of off-the-shelf solutions to your variable-speed fan problem in the PC world. Look at CPU coolers for inspiration. Several of them come with RTD's that will control the speed of the fan based on the temperature of the CPU die. Simply mount the sensor on the heat sink for your scanner amps and you should be fine.

Also remember that a few large diameter fans will be quieter (and still move more air) than lots of small ones. Also, all things being equal, lower RPM is better.

These guys (QuietPC.com) have a bunch of parts to choose from if you're looking for full-blown fan controllers.

Adam