Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Midwest LEM Feeler...

Smile

Hey Adam;

While I'd love to make it to a midwest LEM, I don't think I'll have the vacation time available to do it. That would need to be a 2-day trip for me to get there, and another 2 days to return. (I'd have to drive, because with all my gear it would cost a small fortune to fly with it.) So I'd be looking at taking a whole week off from work to do it, and that's not going to happen anytime soon.

In fact, I don't even have any time available to take off for the FLEM event in Orlando tomorrow. For this one, I'm actually leaving today right after work and then driving down to my Mom's place. (I packed everything into the Jeep last night.) Should take me about 6 hours or so.

Then Saturday I'll drive into Orlando for the meet, and come back to my Mom's place late at night. Sunday morning I'll drive back to Charleston. Ugh - 850 miles of driving round trip. Still, it's going to be a lot of fun!

Adam

With some advanced notice, my basement in Akron, Ohio has been known to become a LEM!

James.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    With some advanced notice, my basement in Akron, Ohio has been known to become a LEM!

James.
    Hey James!

Thanks for your generous contribution. I will add that to the list of possibilities. What kind of square footage are we talkin about? I'd personally be interested in a venue that would allow the kind of projection distance that we saw at SELEM. We'll see though...
    Thanks!
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Hey James!

Thanks for your generous contribution. I will add that to the list of possibilities. What kind of square footage are we talkin about? I'd personally be interested in a venue that would allow the kind of projection distance that we saw at SELEM. We'll see though...
    Thanks!
    Adam
    Ha!

You and me and a couple of other people would fill the place up!

It's a lot of fun though!

Free LaserBoy for everyone who shows up!

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 11-08-2008 at 20:14.

The type of venues I would have access to would include a community theater's black box space (150ish x 100 feet). A theater that seats 2500. An amphitheater that seats 40,000 however, the amp would be a LONG shot...

I know for sure the last two places have at least 400amp three phase services. However, the amp would be outside 30,000 seats are covered (but it has 800amps). Last place I could think of is my place of work... again we have three phase available... all the feeder, lights and sound equipment we could ever dream of... its just that would be hard to work out too... cant drink there or smoke indoors... idk, this is all stuff we can talk about when we get closer... the other thing is that with the use of the theater I mentioned... we might need to be there during the week, since it is a VERY active theater.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I think it would be 100$ or less to rent the local school here in suffield, outside of akron.

Steve

You have to be careful about using places that are paid for by tax dollars.

I don't think you have the right to make it closed to the general public.

James.

The places I am talking about we could probably get away with for as cheap if not free... might take pulling a few strings on my part, but it would be worth a try. The theater I would really want to have it work out at has its own PA system installed we just need to get the space after a touring act that comes through uses the house PA, that way it is up in the air ready for us...

Oh and the place has some moving lights installed that I am authorized to use, so that could be lots of fun... syncing some lasers with some nice VL2500s

Quote Originally Posted by mliptack View Post
    The type of venues I would have access to would include a community theater's black box space (150ish x 100 feet). A theater that seats 2500. An amphitheater that seats 40,000 however, the amp would be a LONG shot...

I know for sure the last two places have at least 400amp three phase services. However, the amp would be outside 30,000 seats are covered (but it has 800amps). Last place I could think of is my place of work... again we have three phase available... all the feeder, lights and sound equipment we could ever dream of... its just that would be hard to work out too... cant drink there or smoke indoors... idk, this is all stuff we can talk about when we get closer... the other thing is that with the use of the theater I mentioned... we might need to be there during the week, since it is a VERY active theater.
    The places I am talking about we could probably get away with for as cheap if not free... might take pulling a few strings on my part, but it would be worth a try. The theater I would really want to have it work out at has its own PA system installed we just need to get the space after a touring act that comes through uses the house PA, that way it is up in the air ready for us...
    Oh and the place has some moving lights installed that I am authorized to use, so that could be lots of fun... syncing some lasers with some nice VL2500s

That's what I'm talkin about!

Hey Mliptack!
    I think the amphitheater would probably be way overkill but the 2500 seat theater sounds great! Obviously will need "some" people to attend to make this work out right. My dad happens to have tons of experience at organizing and promoting events like this and he said he'd be glad to help put it together.

I'll send you a PM with my contact info. Let's get together for a beer or dinner sometime and discuss this, my treat. I travel to Milwaukee on a regular basis and would enjoy meeting another local laserist.
    Thanks!
    Adam