Thread: Skewed view?

Default Skewed view?

Hi folks,

Maybe you can help me (working on the job right now, so it's a bit of a problem).

I'm doing a job with 2x QM2000.NET, 2x ILDA-laser and Pangolin LivePro.

One laser is perfect, no problem. The other laser has the view when I reset all geometric corrections in Pangolin as you can see in the attachment.

So, the view is skewed! Is this a scanner(amp) problem or am I doing something wrong?!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails skewe.jpg  

Oh, BTW: Scanners are DT-40.

Cool

If you have two QM-2000 boards, you can set the geometric correction for each one separately. So in a pinch, that would be how you would get around the problem. Assign scanner 1 to zone 1 (or 1 and 4 if you want separate zones for graphics and beams), and scanner 2 to zone 16 (or whatever the convention is for the second scanner - I forget what Pangolin recommends for multiple scanners, but it's in the help file.) Then set the geometric corrections for those zones separately and you're all set. (From the sound of things, you'll only need to change the settings for the zone that you put projector # 2 on.)

Longer term, the skew on that projector is probably caused by one of two things... Either 1) the projector aperture is not parallel with the projection surface, or 2) the scanners are not mounted perpendicular to the incoming beam inside the projector. (The beam should enter the scanners horizontally, bounce through 90 degrees twice, and exit exactly perpendicular to the incoming beam.)

Edit: I didn't consider wiring faults - see Bill's reply below.

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 11-01-2008 at 04:22.

A slight skew might be caused by what Adam wrote above, but the severe skew you show in your picture must be caused by Y somehow being allowed to be fed into the X. So increases in Y voltage are also causing an increase in X voltage. My suspicion is that something is not wired correctly on the scanner amps or power supply.

Please review my Projector Connections article here:
    http://www.laserist.org/laserist2008...onnections.htm

I hope this helps...

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    If you have two QM-2000 boards, you can set the geometric correction for each one separately. So in a pinch, that would be how you would get around the problem. Assign scanner 1 to zone 1 (or 1 and 4 if you want separate zones for graphics and beams), and scanner 2 to zone 16 (or whatever the convention is for the second scanner - I forget what Pangolin recommends for multiple scanners, but it's in the help file.) Then set the geometric corrections for those zones separately and you're all set. (From the sound of things, you'll only need to change the settings for the zone that you put projector # 2 on.)
    That's what I did for last nights show (to "solve" the problem for the moment).

1) the projector aperture is not parallel with the projection surface
    Not the case!

2) the scanners are not mounted perpendicular to the incoming beam inside the projector. (The beam should enter the scanners horizontally, bounce through 90 degrees twice, and exit exactly perpendicular to the incoming beam.)
    Not the case. Everything was fine while preprogramming the show, then the lasers were transported to the venue and rigged in the trussings, and the problem immediately was there!

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    A slight skew might be caused by what Adam wrote above, but the severe skew you show in your picture must be caused by Y somehow being allowed to be fed into the X. So increases in Y voltage are also causing an increase in X voltage. My suspicion is that something is not wired correctly on the scanner amps or power supply.

Please review my Projector Connections article here:
    http://www.laserist.org/laserist2008...onnections.htm

I hope this helps...

Bill
    Hi Bill,

Thanks for the great answer. I'll check the cabling in and outside the projector this afternoon at the venue. Something might happened during transport with the cabling. Will get back to you when I found something.

Thanks again!

Jeroen

I started replacing ILDA-cables from QM.NET-box to the laser and the problem was solved. Seems like a bended pin in one of the stupid DB-25 connectors was the problem.

I'm on my way replacing all lasercables/housings to use Ethercon for ILDA. DB-25 is NOT road-proof.

Thanks for the help/replies, I'll post some photos/videos of the show I'm doing

Hi Jeroen,

Glad you solved the problem. If you look into it more, you will find that -- somehow -- Y was being fed into the X.

Bill

As promised, some pics of the show I did..

Friday was a timecode show (I produced an edited version of Michael Jackson - Thriller, for this event), saturday was a live operated show (house music).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails brothers1.jpg  

brothers2.jpg  

brothers3.jpg