Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My gift to PL users. Free Laser Dreams Controller w/ comodore 64

Default My gift to PL users. Free Laser Dreams Controller w/ comodore 64

First off, its not free to the first person who says "pick me"

It is free to the person who replies within the next week proving they really want this and its not going to sit in their possession for the next 5 years without being touched like it has mine. I am making more room in my house and do not want to get rid of it but sacrifices must be made so I figured out the best way to make it.

Here are the rules
    1. I want at least a paragraph reply to this thread explaining why you think you should get this controller, its a piece of history so remember that. A minimum of 3 different contestants are required. A decision could be made as early as 11/09/2008

2. I am not going to pay a penny for shipping, this includes any and all handling, packaging, and shipping fees. I do not have a box big enough for this nor any bubble wrap or shipping peanuts laying around. However free local pickup from Charlotte, NC is available

3. You must reply to this thread with a reason why you think you are good enough to own this. It can be anything from, "I only have a DMX controller" to "wow, I used to have this software when I was doing shows in the 1980s".

4. You must make a valiant attempt to get it running to include pictures and details of what you are doing so everyone in PL can read and see what controllers used to be like. I have never tried to power it up and I have never traced any of the leads to figure out which are which, see pictures for an idea of what I am talking about. Updates will be expected within the first month of possession.

5. You must be a signed up PL member before 11/01/2008 (Nov 1st for you people over seas). Post count does not necessarily matter but could affect the outcome of my decision as I will be reading previous post to validate your story.

Now for the pictures, this was someones homemade dream. It came as a package when I bought items from someone getting out of the business 6 years ago. I had documentation for it but have no clue where it is at. If I ever find it, its yours.

What is included is the unit with built in commodore 64, 4 cartridges (1 with some kind of interface cable) and thats it. No power cord.

Older pics than I originally posted, i do not feel like retaking the pictures

Look at my living room 2 years ago in between shows

Adam 2 years ago
    Last edited by dream beamz; 08-06-2009 at 14:37.

WOW! that thing belongs in a museum! I'd seriously refurb that thing and bring it back to life. Unfortunately I don't have the time or the funds for shipping. I'm sure someone here will find a good home for it though. Maybe MixedGas would be interested. It seems he's into nostalgia like I am.

Either way, I'd love to see this thing come back to life. The new owner must get it working and supply pics.

If I had more time, I'd be interested also, but I don't spend enough time as it is on... anything.

If a group of members here are willing to chip in pay for shipping to me,, I promise to rebuild the system to like new condition and get it working. I will also supply many pics and a detailed description of the whole process. I've been rebuilding electronic equipment back to new as a living for many years.

What does the console approximately weigh Dream Beamz?

WOW! that is older than me

lol

i would love to see this get put back into working condition!
    -Josh

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

. Maybe MixedGas would be interested. It seems he's into nostalgia like I am.

Mixedgas has the the source code by its inventor and the portable c64 with the built in 4" color crt. Its a nice basic system.

mixedgas doesnt have the floor space to store what he has and bows out. Thanks.

Steve

Pick me! Phew, that's over with, now I don't have to worry about shipping and also finding a place to put it!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    If a group of members here are willing to chip in pay for shipping to me,, I promise to rebuild the system to like new condition and get it working. I will also supply many pics and a detailed description of the whole process. I've been rebuilding electronic equipment back to new as a living for many years.

What does the console approximately weigh Dream Beamz?
    Will weigh it in a little bit, but anything is applicable on shipping it. If a group wants to donate to the cause then thats fine by me

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Mixedgas has the the source code by its inventor and the portable c64 with the built in 4" color crt. Its a nice basic system.

mixedgas doesnt have the floor space to store what he has and bows out. Thanks.

Steve
    I figured you have actually seen this exact unit before since the guy we got it from was in Ohio. But yeh, he gave me two of the portable C64 units as well with built in screens

I LOVED my CBM64 !!!

That thing had the coolest sound chip in it!

It had a three voice NCO (numerical controlled oscillator) with selectable wave forms AND an NCF (numerical controlled filter). That was SOOO COOL! I used to write music with it and I also use the NCF to do effects for my electric guitar and stuff. I wrote a whole control interface to be able to make all sorts of weird sound with it and some of it even made it onto my CD!

James.

All of this is of course before any packaging

77lbs
    40 inches tall
    31 inches long
    17 inches wide