Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Since this is how you all feel, adios. I'm outta here.

I said....
    Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    I have sitting on my bench an full built 3 channel device that I just need to hook up and setup.
    Gary said
    Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    It would be nice if DrLava or someone could create a board for that circuit with 3 or more channels on it.
    So I said
    Quote Originally Posted by stanwax View Post
    Thanks Gary for NOT reading my post
    Gary said
    Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    Oh yea, I am sure you read each and every sentence of each and every post.
    To be honest I would have let it go but this has happened before and it drives me insane.
    Should a post be worth commenting on it must be worth reading, if one has no interest in something then if you have half a brain you simply wouldnt bother with it!
    I have no interest in football so instead of buying a season ticket and subscribing to Setanta I neither watch it or comment on it.
    As Anthony points out its not just about these few posts but I have in the past ingnored it this time I chose to reply in the manner which we have become acustomed from Gary.
    Thats what kicked it all off (shit maybe I do like football after all!)

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Cool

Hi Simon;

No, actually it wasn't that bad. It was predictable, however.

Gary has been sniping at people (like he did with Rob) for quite a while. The PM's I received from others (the ones I quoted to him in my PM) were not in response to what happened in Rob's thread, but to the bulk of Gary's posts in many threads over the past few weeks. (Some of which may have been in threads that you weren't actively following, such as the Format 3 debate, the 3D shading discussion, and the new shows on the FTP server discussion.)

So Rob's thread really wasn't the "Start" of this at all. (Though some may argue that it was the "end" of it...)

Marc;

You said that you could understand if his wording or actions or responses were accidentally taken as offense or personal attacks, but that you honestly don't think they were meant in that manner. I can tell you that they were indeed intended as attacks, and certainly were *intentionally* offensive. If you wish, I'll provide examples to you via PM.

Then again, you seem to have reached a similar conclusion about his posting style, since you admitted that "he is a sarcastic son of a bitch and usually was a 'debbie downer'... ". When this fact was mentioned to him (in far more diplomatic terms), his reply - essentially - was "fuck off." (In fact, it was considerably more vulgar and insulting that that.)

No one is expecting "little fluffy clouds", but decorum is a must if you're going to have a civil discussion. Gary felt that those ideals didn't apply to him. (He openly admitted that he rarely if ever reads all the posts in a thread before replying.) That's not "Fluffy Clouds", that's basic respect.

Finally, I need to point out that *I'm* not calling for him to leave, and never have been. I just wanted him to pay attention to the fact that he was pissing people off by not reading their posts before posting some snotty remarks of his own.

And for that, he decides to leave the forum all on his own. And now it's somehow *my* fault?

Sorry, but I'm not taking responsibility for his childish actions. While I admit that he had some intriguing points, and his software had the potential to help a lot of struggling hobbyists, I'm not going to turn a blind eye to some rude lout while he berates others - no matter how good his software is (or isn't!)

Edit: I want to re-iterate one more time: I'm not advocating "Banning" Gary in any sense. In fact, I sent my reply to him via PM to *prevent* this sort of public drubbing. I honestly thought that if he saw the effect he was having on people, he would be open to the possibility that he *was* acting inappropriately. I certainly did not expect him to explode with the vulgarity and vitriol that he showed me in his PM's this morning. Having said that, I'm always open to a group hug...

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 11-02-2008 at 10:30.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    since you admitted that "he is a sarcastic son of a bitch and usually was a 'debbie downer'... ".
    WOW i had to look that one up..

For the NON USA members.

Debbie Downer is a character played by Rachel Dratch on the television show Saturday Night Live.
    The character's name is connected to a slang phrase which refers to someone who persistently adds bad news or negative feelings to a gathering, thus bringing down the mood of everyone around them.
    Dratch's cynical character would interrupt social gatherings to voice negative opinions and pronouncements, making her very unpopular to be around.

None of this was one sided. All of it was driven by interaction.

I have a lot of experience being the odd man out.

I've also met my share of people who point me out as different and make it their job to ridicule me for what they do not understand.

That pisses me off.

But I avoid going into what I might think about that person, because I'm quite sure none of you care.

James.

This definitely qualifies as random to me. I, like Marc, feel like I missed something here.

I haven't really noticed Gary going "out of bounds" on any threads, but I suppose I'll take your words for it. I'm sure it's because I haven't read certain threads/posts.

I think however, that Gary is and should continue to be a part of this forum, granted he probably needs some brushing up on proper netiquette from what I've seen here and elsewhere.

A few months ago, I recall he was very helpful in my effort to figure out which songs went with some laser shows I had. I was just some guy on the internet and he was happy to help me out. That was my first impression anyway.

-Jonathan

omg guys, i am not going to read all of that, but this is an online message board. if some people can not handle the heat, stay away. even without moderation this forum is very light in bashing compared to many many other message boards. I am signed up on probably 200 and active on at least 50

I for one have had no problem with anything carmangary has said or anyone else for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by dream beamz View Post
    omg guys, i am not going to read all of that, but this is an online message board. if some people can not handle the heat, stay away. even without moderation this forum is very light in bashing compared to many many other message boards. I am signed up on probably 200 and active on at least 50

I for one have had no problem with anything carmangary has said or anyone else for that matter.
    I second that I am wishing I had used my real ID (nickname) when I joined this forum I have had so many BAD experiences with trying other computer, electronic , chemistry, etc. user groups, I was afraid to do so. So many forums and this one to a sleight degree are plagued by oneupmanship , chest beating, demeaning put downs of the ideas and opinions of other members. This has been one of the few forums I have experienced where people can openly speak their mind with out fear of this bashing king of the hill CRAP! Let's try to keep it that way!
    clicking on my avatar will show the tricolor photocoagulator resonator cavity from a Lumenis Varia eye surgery medical laser, which i am attempting to refit. It originally was designed to produce 50-1500mw of 532 / 50-600mw of 659nm / 50-600mw of 561nm (Yellow)
    Clicking on my Avatar will show a picture of the inside of this cavity with a 1cm bar diode in the first of 3 OEM postions & KTP holder.
    Caviar Dreams on pennies, well lots of pennies.

Adam-

Buffo Wrote-
    "You said that you could understand if his wording or actions or responses were accidentally taken as offense or personal attacks, but that you honestly don't think they were meant in that manner. I can tell you that they were indeed intended as attacks, and certainly were *intentionally* offensive. If you wish, I'll provide examples to you via PM"

-Adam, first off....NUTTIN but love for ya man! i must reitterate (sp?) my stance that i dont feel YOU or HE nor ROB nor ANYONE is right or even wrong here. if you feel like he was intentionally being attacking or disrespectful to you or to ANYONE for that matter, i of course value your opionion and take it at face value. i do not need examples. i know damn well you wouldnt make anything up. i am NOT sitting here and *accusing* YOU or ANYONE of over reacting or making anything up. i was just posing the question and perhaps unbiased "outside looking in" opinion that maybe things were taken out of context or comments were being misconstrued as intentionally offensive. when in fact it may have just been gary's sarcastic comments?!?!?

i, myself am a very straight forward type of guy. sometimes when i speak people take what i say as ridicule or me being an asshole. if someone asks me a question, i answer it. if you dont like the answer, you shouldnt have asked the question. (i dont mean you as in adam, i mean YOU as in third party). i think sometimes that makes people defensive (understandably so) and feel like they are being attacked. when in reality, they are just having the blunt truth spoken.

Buffo Wrote-
    "Then again, you seem to have reached a similar conclusion about his posting style, since you admitted that "he is a sarcastic son of a bitch and usually was a 'debbie downer'... ". When this fact was mentioned to him (in far more diplomatic terms), his reply - essentially - was "fuck off." (In fact, it was considerably more vulgar and insulting that that.)"

-ABSOLUTELY!!!! i admit i read some of his posts and replies sometimes and was like, "what the fu*k?" cant this guy just be nice!?!? HOWEVER....i just kinda chalked it up to , hey....thats how gary is. im not saying its right, im just saying i guess i got to a point where i realized when/if gary responded to a post or wrote a post it was going to have a tone of negativity to it. but the underlying fact (to ME anyways) was that the point and EDUCATIONAL VALUE **USUALLY** outweighed his sarcastic/negative overtones.

Buffo Wrote-
    "Finally, I need to point out that *I'm* not calling for him to leave, and never have been. I just wanted him to pay attention to the fact that he was pissing people off by not reading their posts before posting some snotty remarks of his own.

And for that, he decides to leave the forum all on his own. And now it's somehow *my* fault?"

Adam man....i am NOT accusing you or anyone of anything!!!! i was simply trying to (in maybe too many words...) maybe have us all think here for a minute. was all of this really worth losing a valued member of our community?? i NEVER said it was your fault for him wanting to leave. i specifically said that i DONT KNOW what may have transpired and that i offered my apologies if something happend that i may not have known about. which obviously is the case.

i PERSONALLY have NO problems with gary. i of course was just as observant as everyone else that he is indeed a sarcastic commenter and it obviously spilled over into private messages and got to a point where other members felt personally attacked. i cant sit here and say that those feelings are unwarranted.

rob, adam, james, and anyone else...

you feel what you feel. ALL of you in my book are stand up guys and have ALL of our respect!!! i would NEVER tell any of you that your feelings about this situation arent warranted. shit happens. this forum has grown CONSIDERABLY in size. and what i meant about the "little fluffy clouds" was simply that with the amount of active posters we have here, not EVERYONE is going to agree 100% with each other.

when i disagree i express my disagreement in a certain way. you do it in a different way. gary obviously does it in a way that PISSES people off and berates them. i, PERSONALLY would just not take thinggs personally like that. especially on a forum. if he said, "hey marc you fat son of a bitch...you suck monkey balls and i think your mom is a whore..." well, NOW he and i would have a little bit of an issue to discuss like men in a locked room and some boxing gloves on! . obviously things DID get personal like that with a few of you and him. and for THOSE reasons i could understand the resentment.

again, my issues are that gary's knowledge and educational value seems to outweigh him leaving. i KNOW he is leaving by his own accord, and NOONE is FORCING him to leave. but if he disrespected and personally attacked some of you than you are 110% right! there is NO excuse for that and the community decorum here is too important to just turn a blind eye to it.

all in all...

i still think we all need to drink a few beers, and shoot some laser beams around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! any seconds??? thirds??

peace and love brothas......peace and love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

The PL and what goes on here is a big part of my daily social activity.

I must admit I spend a lot of time "feeling" PL.

Seems like some others do too.

English text is a lousy mode of communication.

Phone calls are better and personal meetings are the best.

There are WAY to many things to assume when reading text.

James.

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    i still think we all need to drink a few beers, and shoot some laser beams around!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! any seconds??? thirds??

peace and love brothas......peace and love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Marc
    HEY -

What happened to your original "group hug" offer?
    (Post # 7)

I think you left something out!!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....