Thread: High Definition Graphics Video

Default High Definition Graphics Video

Hi,

Last time I posted a graphics video on here of my laser, it wasn't the best quality so I've re-shot it using my High Definition Camcorder.

The video is unaltered in post so no cheating with saturation, contrast etc.

The colours are perhaps slightly more saturated than in life due to the camera (high def captures better colour) but overall tone is a good representation.

The video is here:

For High Definition, click the expand icon (4 way cross) next to the progress bar at the bottom - should go full screen, then make sure the "Scaling button" on the right side of the screen reads "off". If it doesn't, click it to make it show "Scaling is off". Then press play and enjoy! (make take a 20 or 30 secs to buffer as large file).

Overall I think it comes out pretty well. Scanners show some fine tuning is needed as one or two hooks and non straight lines. Also, a little Jellybeaning I think as sometimes the yellow is really pure and other times a little off. But overall looked pretty good to me.

http://vimeo.com/2131499

Hope you like it.
    Last edited by White-Light; 11-02-2008 at 03:59.

Do you have permission to watch this video? If you do please first log in to Vimeo to watch this video.

Sorry Anthony, was a problem it reverted to private, its now public again.

Anyone can watch without an account.

Cool - looks good!

Hmm - audio sounds vaguely familiar, too!
    (From one of Buffo's earlier Pangolin graphics shows I saw when I was first getting started in this craziness)
    Last edited by Stuka; 11-02-2008 at 05:50.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Cool

Hey Randy;

Actually, he's using a slightly different mix of that song. But yeah, it's still "Why" by FKN feat. Jahalla. The GFX show I did for that song is on the FTP server...

RGBLaserFan;

I'd love to see that whole video again, but with some fog in the air and the camera aimed back towards the projector (just so the beams don't hit the lens). I think it would look really good.

Still, very nice high-def video. None of my vids come out looking that crisp.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Hey Randy;

Still, very nice high-def video. None of my vids come out looking that crisp.

Adam
    Shot on a Canon HV30 in Fireworks Mode Adam.

I used that mode because it works well in low light but doesn't allow the gain to get out of hand.

Smile

Fireworks mode, eh? Cool.....

I need to invest in a decent video camera. I've got this ancient Sharp Hi-8 piece of crap that I've been using since forever, and it's just not up to the job anymore.

I just bought a 12 megapixel digital camera that would also shoot HD video, but it's got issues when filming lasers. It keeps trying to auto-center the video, and the result is that it jumps all over the place! I think it's caused by the bright laser spot wreaking havoc with the image stabilization circuit. (But I can't figure out how to turn off the auto-image-stabilization in video mode.)

Adam

Well unless its changed in the last few months, the HV30 is supposed to be the best consumer HD Camcorder out there.

That said High Definition (generally) isn't without problems. It doesn't handle movement particularly well and isn't as good in low light as an SD camcorder. Its also more prone to handheld shake.

That said its horses for courses.

Tape is still better than solid state for movement issues and artefacts.

The other good camcorder I know of is the Canon XH A1. But this is semi professional and quite a bit more expensive. There's not a huge difference between the two in picture quality (the XH is slightly clearer) but the Xh A1 has far more manual control over eg gain.

If you can wait on a month or so, the new Red Scarlet is due out at around $3,000. Totally different budget but its supposed to be above High Def spec (3K) and produce full studio quality video. Its also solid state whereas the HV is tape. I believe there's an announcement scheduled for the 14th November during which everything will be revealed.

Solid state in consumer cams has yet to rival tape for quality of HD video - it suffers even more from movement artefacts.

Some review links:

Canon HV30: http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...view-34401.htm

XH-A1: http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...der-Review.htm

Red Scarlet (No review as not yet released but a source of some info): http://www.scarletuser.com/showthread.php?t=5

There may be other cams now as I haven't looked in almost a year.
    Last edited by White-Light; 11-02-2008 at 11:35.