Thread: Anyone else see this? Scary stuff...

Default Anyone else see this? Scary stuff...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXfyD...eature=related

Title and video explain it all... scary stuff.

WOW!!
    It was destroying pixels on the camera

Yeah when I first watched that I feared that the laser in use might be q-switched....

This freaks me out. We need to keep a closer eye on *our* industry whether or not we are profiting from it (since of course many of us are hobbyists) before it is too late. Those of you outside the US are lucky since you are able to do things like audience scanning but it must still be done safely before it hurts the entire industry more than it already has.

As far as destroying pixels... that doesnt really take much. Ask me about my DLP projector that I ruined.... but yeah... I wouldnt want to be there. They said the laser that was scanning the audience was meant for aerial beams, but since a canopy was added to to weather it was re-directed towards the audience.

-max

it's scary stuff, but discussed on serveral ocasions on this forum.

I has been in the news some months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    it's scary stuff, but discussed on serveral ocasions on this forum.

I has been in the news some months ago.
    I remember the other threads on this. The guy with the shocking mullett being interviewed (27secs in) quoted saying "when i stepped off the dance floor i saw flashes in my eyes, so i put my sunglasses on & went to the bar. Bud when i got there, i couldn't see the barmans' face"

I think the real reason he couldn't see the barmans face was not because of the laser, rather that he was wearing sunglasses in a dark club.

See I guess thats what happens when you dont spend nearly as much time on the forums as you once did.

-max

There was a lot of talk about this particular incident in July and August -even at SELEM. I don't remember if it was ever confirmed, but the theory from someone at ILDA and others is that is was a Q-Switched YAG running at 15-30 watts with 30ns pulses that could have been up to 8800 WATTS each at something like 20khz.

There is a possibility I've gone and muddled the numbers here, but that is my recollection anyway.

Here's the original thread if you're interested:
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ight=revellers

-Jonathan