Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulding projector, need advice

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post

re: your choice of a controller: I'm going to go out on a limb here and volunteer Randy (Stuka) without his permission... (Sorry pal!) Get in touch with him and see if he will show you his FB3 system. That way you can see ahead of time what you're getting into.

However, I'll warn you about going to visit Randy... He *also* has the Pangolin LD-2000 system, and it's connected to a full-blown RGB projector. While the LD-2000 is considerably more expensive than the FB3, it's also considerably more capable! I take *no* responsibility if you decide to blow through your budget cap after seeing Randy's gear!

Adam
    Works for me - provided I'm in no way held responsible for encouraging him or anyone else down the path of laser-induced financial ruin !
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Unfortunately there is no way possible for me to make FLEM this time.

Stuka and i have been emailing---It is a small world, he has spent alot of time where i live. He offered to let me come up and see his stuff and Adam's offer of some beer *really* sweetens the deal.

I am pretty good with a soldering iron; even SMT devices are not a problem.

Where is the best place to get a heatsink like that? It would fit my upcoming needs perfectly.

Cool

Sorry you can't make it Doug...

Still, I'm sure you'll have a good time with Randy anyway. He's got some cool gear, and last time I checked, he enjoyed a good brewski as much as any guy!

Re: Soldering skills - no need for SMT work! But basic wiring (and esp. static precaution) skills are a plus. Also, a little confidence re: basic metal working is good. But from the sound of things so far, I think you'll be OK.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    ..... He's got some cool gear, and last time I checked, he enjoyed a good brewski as much as any guy!
    Adam
    Thank you, and yep - you got that right!

Josh (thesk8nmidget) might be able to direct you to some "home brew laser" parts suppliers - might want to drop him a PM...
    Last edited by Stuka; 11-06-2008 at 16:04.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by thesk8nmidget View Post
    i have gotten away with no tec cooling and just a good heat sink like this one

but the rckstr driver does not work with any sort of modulation. the flexdrive supports analog and ttl.

stuka actually has that unit that i just posted a picture of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    uhhh nice heatsink...
    where did you get it?
    I second that statement, where did you get that heatsink? I'm planing on building some 405's and 635's/650's for my projector, so i could really use some chunky heatsinks.
    "TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
    "DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra

Couple of questions while i'm drooling over the shopping cart:

1. Is a LW 100mw, 532mn, analog--better than a fleabay 200mw,532,analog from snoc electronics? The 200 is cheaper but i pretty much know the LW is better. Get the LW anyway? (I think i already know the answer)

2. Which dichro for 100mw 532 and ~300mw from 2 pbs combined red diodes? Do i need a pass green/reflect red or the other way around or does it matter?

Thanks

d

Quote Originally Posted by mophead View Post
    Couple of questions while i'm drooling over the shopping cart:

1. Is a LW 100mw, 532mn, analog--better than a fleabay 200mw,532,analog from snoc electronics? The 200 is cheaper but i pretty much know the LW is better. Get the LW anyway? (I think i already know the answer)

2. Which dichro for 100mw 532 and ~300mw from 2 pbs combined red diodes? Do i need a pass green/reflect red or the other way around or does it matter?

Thanks

d
    Well, I don't know anything about Snoc Electronics, but I personally like the idea of buying warrantied items from a known dealer that stands behind them! And, from what I've heard (and seen with my "Jolly Green" beast!), LaserWave makes some nice gear! Have you talked to Marc (CT Lasers, "Gottaluvlasers" here on the forum)? He's the US LaserWave dealer, and can make some pretty good prices for PL members!

Concerning dichros:

Since 532nm (green) tends to be a little cheaper as you get into higher power lasers, many folks would recommend you start with a "Pass Green / Reflect Red" dichro. The dichro will be set up so it as at roughly a 45 degree angle in your beam path. The green beam passes directly through the dichro, and the red is reflected by the dichro.
    If you add a blue laser later, you would add a "Pass Green & Red / Reflect Blue" dichro, positioned between the Red laser and scanners.

Here's a link with a good depiction of a typical RGB layout:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...11&postcount=2

My projector is currently still "open face", so I'd be glad to show that layout to you if you make up this way sometime!

Oh, BTW -

You're talking about some significant laser power there - don't forget laser goggles!!

Last edited by Stuka; 11-07-2008 at 10:41.
    RR

Sweet.....

you can buy a no name 200mw 532 that may kick out 200 mw when new, but who knows what issues you may have with it. buying a cheapie dpss off ebay is playing the lottery with coherent light.

if you go the Laser-wave route you will NOT be disappointed. not to mention that you can talk to bridge directly about concerns and issues.

also, if you go the laser wave route, and want to upgrade later, you'll have much better luck reselling a used laser with an excellent reputation.
    "TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
    "DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra

Smile

Laser-Wave, without any doubt.

Marc (CT Lasers, "Gottaluvlasers" ) or Bridge (directly from the Laser-Wave factory) can give you all components you need.
    Best prices, high quality, high reliability.
    More... they both are wonderful person and they can help you everytime you need.
    You have to be sure Mate!

Greets!
    Steve
    my webpage
    http://stevemilani.jimdo.com
    Skype ID: stevemilani957

my RGB analogue projectors:
    3.9 W (640/532/445) 30kpps
    2.6 W (655/532/450) 30kpps
    2.5 W (638/532/450) 30kpps
    0.7 W (test unit)(635/532/473) 18kpps

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Default Question

Is there an European seller of LaserWave? Maybe buy a laser heat is better than mess with DVD-burner stuff.
    And where did you get this heatsink from?????
    Last edited by colouredmirrorball; 11-09-2008 at 01:45. Reason: couldn't stop hitting the "edit"-button