Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Bulding projector, need advice

Default Update

Update:

Well, been thinking alot since FLEM about what direction this should go. There was alot of ideas before and a whole slew now. I tend to get caught up in the small things that really don't matter and lose focus of the ultimate goal. You know, can't see the forest for the tree right in front of you.

I decided to do RGV ,with blue coming next year when i can better afford it, with scanners and a small lumina wheel in the same box. Going to use this:

as the enclosure. It is a bare 19x20x5U rackmount enclosure non-vented. I may add vents to the back part--don't know yet. The optical part will all be 3/8" aluminium 12 x ~18 (the entire inside width of the box). Using the remaining 4x6 piece of scrap left from the sheet to make two small blocks for the homebuilt 2xred and 2x 405's. I plan to add some thick alu channel along the inside bottom for added rigidity and a place to secure a topside mounting bracket. Will most likely add adjustable feet to the bottom for tabletop use.

The front and back plates are going to get laser cnc cut for any necessary wiring connector and aperture holes. The resulting holes will have screen printed labels. Luckily, the cutting and printing are gratis.

Question: Will one-color screen printed (white on black substrate) labels pass for cdhr varience or do i need different ones?

I am also building a RGV projector and I want to add the lumia effect also...do you have any tips, like triggering, and where can I find the parts...I have looked a little but no luck.

Last edited by KGB; 04-17-2009 at 05:11.

Just a small update.

About to fit the optical board into the enclosure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pro1.jpg  

Thumbs up

Looking good there Doug! Keep the pictures coming...

Adam

OK.

Soon is coming sooner now.

Got the optical board welded to the frame. Most of this time, i've been working on various sub-assemblies and not feeling like there is much progress. I suppose it will come together much more quickly from here.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails soon.jpg  

Wow, very nice layout. Depending on the size of the Lumia device, you may have enough room for some grating effects as well. Think Small!!!

Mark

Got the lumina going, just need to screw it to a small L bracket, then screw that down to the base plate.

Cheap is good:

Motor is a timer motor from a washing machine harvested from the local appliance store junk pile. It is about 1/2 RPM. looks ok. May upgrade to something speed controlable at some point in time. Gratis 0.00

1- 1/4-20 threaded coupler from Lowes 1.59
    1- 1" 1/4-20 nylon screw. .69 cents
    50 pieces of glass 30.00 (See this thread) They are cut in 2.5" squares.
    1/4 spade type glass bit. 6.59

Would have been nice to cut the glass round, but hey...I do well to cut glass without shattering it.

Also would like to say thanks -=Jim=-, I'll hook you up in a few days.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lum1.jpg  

lum2.jpg  

Question lumina wheel question

Doug:

The plane of the glass panel on the lumina wheel seems to be parallel to the white beam. Just wondering ,how will that work? Good idea for mounting the glass to the shaft.

John
    Inventor of the hemorroid transplant

Yeah John, it does seem that way. The layout has changed since i posted the pic. I think i'm going for a beamtable type front where things can be added later. I dunno. It's on hold till some L brackets get here. Should have already been here. You know the saying something about a nickel holding up 1000 dollar....... lol.

It would have worked as posted though with a GM20 and a tight squeeze past the lumina on the way to the scanners. (at least it worked in testing without everything bolted down)

Just a small update on the general progress. Mounting holes for the case have been drilled and tapped. Still need to wire and check everything before getting the back panel cut. FYI, i dread the back panel--i can't draw, can't cut straight, can't find 2D .dxf for the connectors that i'm using..........I suppose if i figured my time at what i make (even at min wage), i could have bought a top line whatever. BUT, Where is the fun and learning in that? For me, building is fun. I'm not very artsy.
    Last edited by mophead; 05-25-2009 at 09:27.

Maybe I'll get this thing going before SELEM. Mmmmm pork meat and lasers.

This is the 405nm module. I am using 2-4x diodes, lasorbs, Flexmod driver and some repurposed mounts from Laserman532.

DrLava, If you read this: What value resistors should be used for for 2- 4x Bluray diodes?

Just though I'd update and share.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails br-1.JPG