Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 30K/60K ILDA Standard....

Default The 30K/60K ILDA Standard....

Hi Everyone,
    I've read in a few places (If I understand correctly...) Shows should be run at 30K or 60K and not in between. ( I may be stating this incorrectly as beam shows can obviously be run slower to increase scan angle.) I have run shows "designed" for 30K playback at 40K and they obviously look better because the scan rate is faster and their is less flicker. Why would it be a bad decision for me to run at this speed if the galvos can handle it and the output looks good even though my galvos are tuned for 30K?

Why would I not want to tune my galvos at 40K with the ILDA test pattern if they can handle that speed without overheating or erratic behavior?

I'm sure theirs a good reason but I don't understand how this works. Must be some kind of points optimization for the speed??
    Your comments are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Adam
    Last edited by 300EVIL; 11-08-2008 at 23:05.

now, I'm not completely sure about this, but I'll take a stab.

when you tune your galvos to 30k, that means that they'll display 30k shows optimally. you can turn the scan speed up in your software, which may reduce flicker, but what you're doing is displaying a 30k image at a faster rate.
    "TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
    "DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra

I think its just the fact that the ILDA test pattern was moade for 30/60K or whatever, so if you run it below or above that, maybe stuff will look bad?

I really dont know, I dont see a problem with running them @ 45K or whatever you wanna run them at.

Looks like a good thread for Buffo to respond to once he recovers from the FLEM road trip!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

yeah, 'cause i'm pretty sure i'm wrong, and don't want to misinform anyone.
    Last edited by Mr.Coffee; 11-09-2008 at 09:50. Reason: spelling... duh.
    "TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
    "DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

The reason is simple, ILDA is a information interchange format. If I do my art at 8 degrees and with 30 K, galvos tuned to the ilda test pattern, then I send you my art and you play it back on a system tuned for 30K/8degrees, the art should look the same on the screen. If you have a system that will do 45K and 10', there is no reason not to play it back at 45K/10. But if you want to send your frames to a friend or sell them, make the art on scanners tuned for 30K/8.

It is simply a means to a end when exchanging image data. Ie you could take older 12K art and play it back at 30 and it looks good, then there is no reason not to do it.

So the ONLY reason is the seamless transfer of the art with respect to galvo performance, nothing more, nothing less.

I lived in the days when there was just the start of the standard and buying art was not so easy, ie you could get a frame from a vendor and need to set there and tweak each point to clean it up, if you had the file format patch for that companies file format on your system. Also each company had their own hardware dependent test pattern, and some tuned for speed and some tuned for angle, That was NOT fun. Look at ILDA as the JPEG of the laser art world.

The danger comes when people think that" OH, my way is better then the ILDA standard", and people buy their systems or art and are disapointed when they cant use more then the canned art that comes with the system they bought. That happens a lot with club systems, ie the club owner buys a system and is stuck with 50 animations or beam effects and they cant upgrade,and it leaves a bad taste in their mouth with respect to future laser purchases. When I worked at Sea World in the late 80s, it was 400$ per frame to get the chip blown with the art work a artist did in house. So 16 frames of polly the penguin was
    6400$ to get our artwork into the systems encrypted format. There were only two places to get the conversion done, Los Angeles and London, then they had to ship you the chip and you had to crack open the case and install it. The friction at the start of the ilda format was resistance on the part of the show controller guys to give up the lucrative artwork encryption business. SO you'd better get the art right on the graph paper , before you sent it for digitizing Ie a 15,000$ laser controller and you didn't know how to get your art into the system, but it would let you store your own beam effects. Also bear in mind that it was running on a 8080 processor and the preview screen was a oscilloscope.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 11-10-2008 at 05:38.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post

Now Lets NOT take this thread into the ILDA sucks, wave forever debate.

THAT would just generate TOO much confusion.

Steve
    Already had enough of those

Nice explanation, makes sense

Hey Steve,
    Thanks for the great explanation. That all makes sense to me. Also, I like hearing your stories of your past experiences. WOW! $6400 for an animation! Danm! Glad that's not the case anymore.
    Thanks Again!
    Adam

You do realize that the ILDA file format is nothing but points and colors arranged in frames. Right?

There is nothing in there about pps or for that matter any other kind of time quantum.

That doesn't make it better or wrose than anything else. It just is what it is!

James.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

You do realize we're talking about the tuning standard, not the file format right :-)

Steve