Thread: ILDA DB-25 splitter

Default ILDA DB-25 splitter

Hello fellow Laserists, (I posted this on the Laserist list, and thought I would ask here as well)
    I have a question and wanted to see if anyone has ideas and suggestions.

I often find times where I will use a DB25 splitter to send a signal to 2 or more projectors.
    This has worked for quite a few shows, but I know there is some signal (level) loss with the use of the splitter (especially when using Pangolin)
    I notice that levels are lowered with longer lengths of DB-25, at connections and when using poor quality cable, but the largest lose is noted when using a DB-25 splitter.

I wonder if someone has a device that isolates and readjusts the output to proper levels, looking to see if someone is already using or manufacturing anything like this?

An ILDA Distribution Amp... I've never heard of one, but if it were made, I bet it would be similar to a video distribution amp in some ways.

I wonder if the frequencies of the ILDA signals would be a roadblock in producing such a device. ?

I too am now curious.

-Jonathan

Funny, we have never had much of a problem at all with this. Although all our lasers have high input impedance on all the differential inputs to the scanners and color channels via opamp differential amplifiers.. Our lasers all have ILDA thru, and we often daisy chain up to 4 projectors with no issues..
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    our lasers have high input impedance on all the differential inputs to the scanners and color channels via opamp differential amplifiers..
    Dave,

Have you build that pcb yourself?
    Maybe you can help me with a schematic of your opamp differential board.

I have seen some basic diagrams from bill/pango but no complete scematic how to use the opamps and other parts.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laseronics View Post
    I often find times where I will use a DB25 splitter to send a signal to 2 or more projectors.
    This has worked for quite a few shows, but I know there is some signal (level) loss with the use of the splitter (especially when using Pangolin)
    The "especially with Pangolin" seems a bit speculative, honestly. If you really see a difference between "Pangolin" and others, it is because our outputs are protected from overload while others might not be.

Nevertheless...

Quote Originally Posted by Laseronics View Post
    I wonder if someone has a device that isolates and readjusts the output to proper levels, looking to see if someone is already using or manufacturing anything like this?
    You might contact Bill Arkin from Holo Spectra. His web address is www.lasershs.com

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    Funny, we have never had much of a problem at all with this. Although all our lasers have high input impedance on all the differential inputs to the scanners and color channels via opamp differential amplifiers.. Our lasers all have ILDA thru, and we often daisy chain up to 4 projectors with no issues..
    Now this interesting!!

As with Kyle I also lose a small amount of signal (images size decreases) with 4 projectors going I have to increase the image size in software

Quote Originally Posted by Lasernerd View Post
    Now this interesting!!

As with Kyle I also lose a small amount of signal (images size decreases) with 4 projectors going I have to increase the image size in software
    Sounds like a simple solution to me...
    i mean thats kinda the type of shit the software is good for aint it..
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

Quote Originally Posted by keeperx View Post
    Sounds like a simple solution to me...
    i mean thats kinda the type of shit the software is good for aint it..

Yep..works great!

Kyle- I use a rack mount signal distro box. I made many of these for Laser Fantasy back in the day. It is based on the LM348 high current Op-Amp. My design has individual size control for each channel to overcome for most large cable runs. The adjustments will be made by a trim pot so that accidental adjustment isn't possible. How many projectors would you like to run with this devise. I would be more than happy to give you a quote if you would like. All of my circuit designs come with a garantee.

Cheers ~Tyler Le Dent

Only splitting the signal will bring a lot of issues. The cable length gives you different result on each output. Also you have to ensure that each receiver have same input impedence, otherwise the terminal with lower impedence eats more current of course.

you know nowadays even same models from one manufacturer might have different impedence unit by unit....
    you need buffer amplifiers PCB.

I am working on this kind of product, earliest possiblity to be available is within 2 months....