Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Projector control - Help Please

Default Wireless Projector control - Help Please

Hi

I thought i'd have a go at trying to control my projector by wireless.

I have a HP TC1100 Tablet PC running Windows XP SP3 and LD2000/Showtime etc., this has an internal 802.11b/g wireless card fitted.

I also have a Linksys 802.11b/g wireless access point sat around doing nothing.

I was sort of hopeful that this may be enough to be able to try link my Tablet PC to my QM2000.Net box by wireless means. I should point out that this is for * home use only * and that I fully understand the unreliability of wireless links for controlling laser projectors in a commercial environment. I just thought it would be nice using the projector in the house without CAT5 cable.

Anyway, I basically haven't a clue as to what I need to do to set this up. Can anyone please talk me through (stage by stage) what I need to do to get this working?

Many thanks

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Should work (I do exactly the same at home).

Connect the access point to the QM2000.NET by a short CAT5 cable. Connect your tablet via wireless to the access point and start LD2000

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenVDV View Post
    Should work (I do exactly the same at home).

Connect the access point to the QM2000.NET by a short CAT5 cable. Connect your tablet via wireless to the access point and start LD2000
    You mean there are no complicated protocol thingummijiggys to set up???

Right, i'm going to get the stuff connected and i'll let you know how I get on. I didn't want to just bludgeon into it blindly in case I messed anything up.

Here goes...
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Make sure the IP address of your tablet is in the same range as the QM2000.NET (192.168.XXX.XXX). Otherwise the LD2000 software will not discover the QM2000.net.

O.K., so I have connected the AP to my QM2000.Net using the ethernet cable supplied with the AP. The link light on both the AP and the QM2000.Net are flashing.

I have 'discovered' the AP on my Tablet PC and there is a link. However, I am receiving the following message...

The wireless adapter failed to get a valid IP address.

I have tried leaving the security as none and I have also tried setting up the AP's default password of 'admin' using WEP-64 bit personal security. It also says it can be due to an authentication failure with the network, incorrect wireless security passwords or because of DHCP server malfunction.

Any suggestions

Cheers

Jem

O.K., so thanks to some brilliant help from another forum member I now have the Tablet PC seeing the access point.

The problem now is that when I start LD2000 it can't find the QM2000.Net

I can Ping the AP so I know the connection is good between the AP and the computer. I have tried both a straight through CAT5 and a crossover CAT5 between the AP and the QM2000.Net, this doesn't seem to make any difference.

Any suggestions ???

Cheers

Jem

What's your IP address (tablet) and the IP address of the QM2000.NET? My QM has 192.168.1.124 for example, so my compater has IP 192.168.1.10 for example.

Check in your access point config if wireless and wired is "seperated"?

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenVDV View Post
    What's your IP address (tablet) and the IP address of the QM2000.NET? My QM has 192.168.1.124 for example, so my compater has IP 192.168.1.10 for example.

Check in your access point config if wireless and wired is "seperated"?
    Ahhh... Thanks Jeroen, I now understand your previous post about the I.P's being in the same range.

The IP of the access point (that another kind PL member talked me through is set up as 10.0.0.2

and the IP of my QM2000.Net is 192.168.1.161

So I guess that could be the problem. I'll have a look to see if I can alter the IP of my AP and try again

Many thanks, i'm sure i'll get there eventually.

Jem

You don't really have to change the IP of the AP or the DHCP-server in the AP I think....

Just set your tablet to manual configuration, and choose:

IP: 192.168.1.1 (for example)
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: (leave blank)

That should do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jem View Post
    Ahhh... Thanks Jeroen, I now understand your previous post about the I.P's being in the same range.

The IP of the access point (that another kind PL member talked me through is set up as 10.0.0.2

and the IP of my QM2000.Net is 192.168.1.161

So I guess that could be the problem. I'll have a look to see if I can alter the IP of my AP and try again

Many thanks, i'm sure i'll get there eventually.

Jem

WhooHoo

Houston we have contact

Once I had re-set the A.P's IP to 192.168.1.170 (an IP close to my .Net) I restarted everything and it works!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm now working wirelessly - yippee

So, I guess it must have been something to do with the IP ranges - Not that I have a clue what i'm talking about mind

Thanks Jeroen AND thanks Mark for talking me through the setup, without you both I wouldn't have had a chance.

Cheers

Jem