Thread: about brightness of rays

Question about brightness of rays

Hi Guys!

When I drive my lasers by DMX controller or auto/music control mode I can see that rays are coming out with full optical power. Spots are really very bright.
    Instad when I drive my laser by ILDA (analogue mod.), same rays coming out like...underpowered. Their spots are not so bright as in DMX or auto/music mode. I can't exactly valuate how much difference of power is 'cause I haven't any power meter, but this difference is clearly visible to eye.
    Now... I know that analogue mode means: 0 volts = maximum power; 5V = laser shut down (I hope to said right).
    Well... my question is: Maybe my USB/DAC dont give out the right value of tension? I say better: maybe when laser should be at full power my USB/DAC unit give out some little volt instead to give out *zero* volts?

Thanks in advance for any answer/help.

All the best

Steve
    my webpage
    http://stevemilani.jimdo.com
    Skype ID: stevemilani957

my RGB analogue projectors:
    3.9 W (640/532/445) 30kpps
    2.6 W (655/532/450) 30kpps
    2.5 W (638/532/450) 30kpps
    0.7 W (test unit)(635/532/473) 18kpps

Just an observance -

Most of the analog lasers I have seen so far use "0 volts" for off, and "5 volts" for full power. Could that be a contributing issue with your particular software and/or ILDA controller?
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

sounds like the software might need adjusting..
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

I have heard once of a program - don't remember which one, could be Mamba Black - that gives a problem like this. Due to safety issues, the program would not allow the laser to shine at full brightness. Which program do you use and is there a function to set the intensity?

Quote Originally Posted by colouredmirrorball View Post
    I have heard once of a program - don't remember which one, could be Mamba Black - that gives a problem like this. Due to safety issues, the program would not allow the laser to shine at full brightness. Which program do you use and is there a function to set the intensity?

Hi.
    I use "Showeditor2008". Yes, software allow me to set intensity, which is already setted at *maximum*.

@ stuka and @all...
    Gosh!... Sorry... I'm a jackass.... I meant: analog 0 V = laser off; 5 V = full power. I apologize.

I would try to check the value of voltage between each pair of wires of each laser head (R+/R-; G+/G- ; B+/B-) coming out of 25 pin female ILDA connector of USB/DAC . It should be 5V at full power or 2,5 V between + pole/toward ground or - pole/toward ground.
    Is it correct?
    May I do this in safely way while laser is on, or it could be dangerous ? (for example: because electrostatic currents).

Thanks & Greets!
    my webpage
    http://stevemilani.jimdo.com
    Skype ID: stevemilani957

my RGB analogue projectors:
    3.9 W (640/532/445) 30kpps
    2.6 W (655/532/450) 30kpps
    2.5 W (638/532/450) 30kpps
    0.7 W (test unit)(635/532/473) 18kpps

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Milani View Post
    I would try to check the value of voltage between each pair of wires of each laser head (R+/R-; G+/G- ; B+/B-) coming out of 25 pin female ILDA connector of USB/DAC . It should be 5V at full power or 2,5 V between + pole/toward ground or - pole/toward ground.
    I think you can only messure the modulation voltages correct with a scope.
    A normal voltage meter will not give you an accurate reading.

Maybe some of the "senior" PL members can explain it better to you.