Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTB: Melles Griot 2W (or better) used, but working...

Hey George -

Quote Originally Posted by dream beamz View Post
    This is a great opportunity because Jon knows exactly what he is buying and has warned his client what he is getting into so you dont have to fear an e-mail later saying "hey the laser just died"
    True...True... But just please don't accidentally send this post to the buyer before his 'check clears', ok?

Hey J -

Quote Originally Posted by platinum View Post
    This is the first time I've heard MGs die easily. I suppose nobody feeling like breaking it to me or something could be the reason. Also, I was told that they have a MTBF of 10,000 hours by knowledgeable people at SELEM in August.
    Well, that's just the thing with MGs - ya just never know I know guys who have been using them / doing gigs flawlessly for years, and while, they may have 'depreciated' in power-output somewhat (ie, now 1.8-2W, etc), many are still just purring-away...

...BUT I gotta tell ya - there's just nothing quite like having your breath-taken way because 5 min before show-time, you've got 0.5mW out of your '3W' - and worse, when the back-up you put in - DOES THE SAME THING!! (...and was NOT bad wiring / etc - they were notorious for high-rate of failure when direct-blanked vs mechanical/galvo) I sent our Laser Quantum out at least 3-4 times, to a much-larger Sho Co that had, like, 6 MGs, but kept having failures while out on Tour - and it was a tour you'd NOT wanna have failures on (..think RUSH... )

...they have since s-canned all their MGs, and now, have all LQ 2W Excels - a few PSU-bugs here and there, but for the most part, they're really happy with them, and especially w/o all the MG-headaches anymore...

Have another industry-buddy of mine that ended up with some BIG-bux on a job, and bought himself 2- 5 Watt versions of the Elite (Laser Quantums' higher-power Green...) and they are both doing like 6.5-7W of loverly 532!... (and that's CW, NOT Q-switched! )

Anyhoo, yeah MGs units used to be 'king', but they got lazy and greedy and sloppy...But maybe you'll will be one of the 'fortunate ones' who makes it to - or past - that illustrious MTBF!

peace..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Looks like I should consider myself lucky that my unit doesn't do blanking then.

Mechanical or AOM are my only options.

-Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by platinum View Post
    This is the first time I've heard MGs die easily. I suppose nobody feeling like breaking it to me or something could be the reason.
    Also, I was told that they have a MTBF of 10,000 hours by knowledgeable people at SELEM in August.

-Jonathan
    never seen the slew of as-is MGs on ebay. "it used to work, now it puts out a dim beam, could be a bad circuit, my loss your gain"

That type of ad hits ebay often.

Quote Originally Posted by dream beamz View Post
    never seen the slew of as-is MGs on ebay. "it used to work, now it puts out a dim beam, could be a bad circuit, my loss your gain"

That type of ad hits ebay often.
    I saw one a short while ago, but I don't really check eBay often as that would likely cause me to spend money or some such thing. I believe you though, just hadn't heard about the common occurrence of that problem with MGs.

-Jonathan

Default Laser power unit

I have a laser Power unit (Before Melles bought them) that I had a new diode in only a few hundered hours on it. I just sent it to One Stop Laser shop and had them check it out and clean , Currently doing 1.5W if interested I would sell.

Larry

KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Talk to Casey Stack, I was ready to buy a 2.5W model from him a while back. He also had the collimator.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    that seller has not sold on ebay in awhile so buyer beware, he might try to hold shipping your item if paypal holds his funds. also when he was selling he seemed to get a lot of neutrals

Read the neutrals. Nothing he has done wrong. Just the seller is unhappy with having to pay 2.2 euro on a 1 euro item. And another seller saying it has plastic mirrors. Not that he hasn't shipped it or anything.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)