Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lasersonics Luxus 100

Default Lasersonics Luxus 100

Hello everyone, I just joined this awesome forum and was hoping someone can tell me something about a Lasersonics Luxus 100 Nd:Yag surgical laser I am trying to purchase. Here's what I know:

• Max power 100W, 1064nm.
    • uses a flash tube/arc lamp.
    • requires high OD (7-9) safety glasses.
    • about 17 years old, and in working condition

What I'm hoping to find out:

• should I do any maintenance before using it since it, if it has been sitting a couple of years?
    • is it air cooled or does it have an internal water cooling loop?
    • can I get parts and what would I be likely to need?
    • does it have an hour meter?
    • does it have its own built in power meter for calibration?

I saw a post somewhere on here by a member who owns several of these, I believe, but I can't find the post or remember who it was. Any comments from anyone with knowledge of this laser would be most appreciated.

it will be water cooled...i mean major water cooling with like a 1hp pump and radiator. It is like 8kW going into the arc lamp to produce 100 watts of 1064nm.

I think the arc lamp electrodes are immersed in the cooling water (not real sure about this) so it needs to be distilled de-ionized water if such is the case. If it has been sitting for years, at least the water will need to be changed to this probably?

Lastly, don't pay too much for it...these are not worth a lot nowadays. I think the last one I parted out I got like $400 for the parts

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

why you would want 100 watts of CW fat beam yag, I do not know,

yes, almost all medical devices have a PM

change the DI water for sure.

open up the pump cavity and check for corrosion and good gold coatings on the ellipse before you buy.

If the lamp has been submerged for years, there is usually crud and sometimes corrosion.

Steve

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Question

What's the point?
    1064nm is invisible to the naked eye so there's no value as an "entertainment" laser.

Thanks Skyko. Is this cooling system all "enclosed" and sealed. Like a automobile cooling system, or do you have to have a large external supply of de-ionized water.

Oh, and it actually hasn't set for 2 years yet, but I am going to have to let it set for that long before I can do anything with it. Should I go ahead and change the water before I put it in storage?

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    What's the point?
    1064nm is invisible to the naked eye so there's no value as an "entertainment" laser.
    Well, its only a KTP crystal and some simple optics away from a nice 20-50 watt 532nm green, depending on how well everthing is aligned.

Quote Originally Posted by hodad View Post
    Well, its only a KTP crystal and some simple optics away from a nice 20-50 watt 532nm green, depending on how well everthing is aligned.
    What do you think guys? Understatement of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by hodad View Post
    Thanks Skyko. Is this cooling system all "enclosed" and sealed. Like a automobile cooling system, or do you have to have a large external supply of de-ionized water.

Oh, and it actually hasn't set for 2 years yet, but I am going to have to let it set for that long before I can do anything with it. Should I go ahead and change the water before I put it in storage?
    Usually they are all enclosed and sealed water system with a special filter and a reservoir. If you are putting it into cold storage you might want to think about draining it first or doing something so it doesn't freeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyko View Post
    What do you think guys? Understatement of the year?

dont forget the pixie dust and it is almost there
    Pat B

laserman532 on ebay

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt & selling it in a garage sale.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Before you start that, be aware that there is a KTP 532 on the bay with a 100$ starting price? (just need to drive to Omaha to get it.)

Gas might be cheaper then the R&D. If you have machine shop access you have a fair chance. Keep in mind you'll need constant temp cooling of the rod, giant pulse kill on the Q switch, intracavity polarization control, and ovenizing for the crystal. And a V fold if you want more then just 3-4 watts of green. You also need 2 simultanious power meters for walking the cavity and a alignment laser.

This laserman532 guy used to build them, and knows more then anyone on the planet about big green, save for the nova/shiva guys and the laserscope factory.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 02-17-2009 at 16:16.