Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking employment opportunity...

Hey guys -

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Yep, too many years of breathing who-knows-what (actually, I know a lot of it - some nasty-ass crap out there!) from who-knows where (Desert Storm, Kosovo, OIF, basic third-world hell-holes) caught up with me and planted me firmly on terra-firma in the process Unfortunately, it also means my late nights smoking cigars in smoke-filled bars doesn't work too well, either, and that really SUCKS!! (which means, next SELEM, if necessary I'm taking an oxygen mask to the Artists Cafe and staying put!! ) The GOOD thing I found out from SELEM - I seem to tolerate theatrical smoke & haze just fine!

Jobwise, actually, all is not TOO bleak yet (at least, I don't think! ). There are a lot of defense contracts working around Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, AL, and I've already got some pretty good contacts there. Keeping my fingers crossed on that, but it's promising! If I go that route, I'll probably live the "permanent TDY" livestyle for a while, working in Huntsville (or wherever) during the week, and home to Knoxville on the weekends. In the mean time, I think I'll hold off on the high-priced laser upgrades until I know for sure what lies ahead

As far as flying goes - yeah, it's going to be a bit strange walking away from 20 years and 5,000 hours flying for Uncle Sam, but I'll be leaving with mostly fond memories and some pretty cool "there I was" beer drinking stories!! I'll probably pursue the civilian (private) flying again once I settle into the new "life" ahead, but I figure being bounced by Uncle is probably a sign that I need to rethink my career path after the military as well! ALTHOUGH - I do like Jonathan's Pangocopter idea!!!

Yep, time to put the "charming personality" and "sweet laser skills" to work, and get a "normal" job - whatever the hell THAT is! The really COOL thing about this - for the first time in over 15 years, I will be able to plan on actually having most of my weekends off! Provided I'm gainfully emplyed, that could make for some serious weekend laser entertainment possibilities!

Hey Jon -

I'll be eager to take take you up on the offer for some freelance tech work if you're ever in this part of the world. I'm easy - pyro, firearms, lasers - it's all good!

Concerning the photo - being from a mostly agricultural state, I'm thinking the "livestock laser branding" might just have some business potential! I wonder how many watts it would take to pull that off without cooking the cow in the process?
    Last edited by Stuka; 11-15-2008 at 12:51.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Good luck Randy.. only another pilot knows what its like to be on the ground,,
    whether your full time or Sunday flier its a bummer.
    Still you could always come down here and take the Pitts for spin upside down. (no rotors though just some very short wings !!)

Good luck hope it all works out for you..

Cheers

Ray
    NZ

Quote Originally Posted by Pitts View Post
    Good luck Randy.. only another pilot knows what its like to be on the ground,,
    whether your full time or Sunday flier its a bummer.
    Still you could always come down here and take the Pitts for spin upside down. (no rotors though just some very short wings !!)

Good luck hope it all works out for you..

Cheers

Ray
    NZ
    Thanks, Ray!!

If I can manage a trip to that part of the world (which would be awesome, by the way!), I'll take you up on the offer!!

So, how well does a Pitts hover, anyway?
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by dream beamz View Post
    I am switching jobs, I am going to be flown all over the US fixing the computers that control Lasik devices (oh the side benefits of this one could be good)
    Dream Beamz Laser Surplus, perhaps?
    RR

Sweet.....

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    So, how well does a Pitts hover, anyway?
    My guess is, about as well as a manhole cover does!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    My guess is, about as well as a manhole cover does!

Adam
    Cool - sounds challenging..........
    RR

Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Dream Beamz Laser Surplus, perhaps?
    hope it will present itself to me from time to time

That sucks Randy,

I'm sure you'll find something as fun or better! Laser lights shows projected form helicopters sounds like fun.

Good Luck Man!
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    I'm sure you'll find something as fun or better! Laser lights shows projected form helicopters sounds like fun.
    ...!
    Could that be the elusive Pangocopter Platinum referred to earlier?
    Count me in!!

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    ...Good Luck Man!
    Adam
    Thanks, Adam!!
    RR

Sweet.....

Well it hovers quite well at the top of a Hammerhead... for about 2 seconds !!

There is no easy way to land it of course..

Best description I have ever heard goes something like this ..

Landing a Pitts is like driving down the freeway at 100 mph with the hood up and the lights out... its about true in one way or another.

Like a lot of small hot ships she doesn't like 'slow'..
    lots of rumours about Pitts Specials and landing etc... they are in fact a very nice but very responsive little (bottom wings are only 6ft long) aeroplane..
    Always give myself a good talking to before coming in and all the way down ... it ain't over till she's stopped dead on the ground.. 'been many a good driver caught by getting cocky in a Pitts on landing thinking its all over before it is.

Still I have fond memories of the odd helicopter flight with me as the student and thats sensitive too so, Randy, you would probably be very good in the Pitts other than you can't see where you are going unlike a chopper.

Once again .. good luck mate

Cheers
    Ray
    NZ