Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seeking employment opportunity...

Quote Originally Posted by Pitts View Post
    Still I have fond memories of the odd helicopter flight with me as the student and thats sensitive too so, Randy, you would probably be very good in the Pitts other than you can't see where you are going unlike a chopper.

Once again .. good luck mate

Cheers
    Ray
    NZ
    That's OK - I learned a long time ago that actually being able to see while you fly is over-rated -
    but then again, I also learned that NOT being able to see while you're landing could lead to inadvertent destruction of government property!

Thanks again!

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

UPDATE -

My intent in posting this is to hopefully provide encouragement for those folks who might still be contemplating career moves, for whatever reason. This is in NO way meant to "gloat" around those who are still looking.

SO, with that said -
    For those out there who have also been looking for that next career opportunity - network! network! network!

My next gig (hopefully; agreement signed, fingers crossed!!) came from simply asking a contractor about prospects, completely outside of "normal" job hunting channels. In fact, there is NO WAY I would have known about the position by going through routine job-search sites!

Even though I have an "in" with government-related contracts (21 years with Uncle Sam may have paid off after all...), I have been VERY surprised to see how diversified some big-name corporations really are, and how many overlapping specialties some of them really are involved in. And, the REALLY cool thing I'm finding out, is that experience, in many cases, really does offer more to these companies than just a stack of diplomas would!

For many of these gigs, flexibility is going to be very important! I'm probably going to be "permanent TDY" for the foreseeable future, basically working in one location (or several!) during the week, and coming home on the weekends. Not ideal - but definitely "doable".

So, for those still looking - hang in there! As my "Grandma" used to say (and many others have said since), things happen for a reason.

And, if anyone is interested in pursuing possible job contract connections with Uncle Sam, PM me, and I'll be glad to point you toward some interesting "inside connection" search sites.

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Thumbs up

Awesome man; glad you could find something so quick. Any flying involved?
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Thanks, Aaron!!

No flying -
    "Officially", for now at least, the job-related flying days are over. I may pursue options concerning that later, but after what happened after 20+ years with Uncle Sam, I'm a little "gun shy" concerning a 2nd flying career. It's amazing how many "aging-related ailments" could potentially put you out of work when you fly for a living!!

Once I settle in to the new gig, I'm pretty sure I'll eventually pursue civilian flying again. It would actually be kind of nice to do it just for fun again, and not necessarily as a job!
    RR

Sweet.....

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Dont let your PPL drop, getting a new medical is hell.

If you do let it drop, the only thing you may be able to get back into is LSA, and trying to find a LSA to rent to fly is hell.

Steve, who dumbly flunked his medical before getting his PPL, and now cant even fly LSA without passing the medical!

For those who dont know, LSA is light sport aircraft, for which you supposedly only need a valid drivers license as the learners permit. Now that I'm in the database as flunking the med, I need to pass the PPL med to go get the LSA. &^%^$# FAA rules!!!!!!!!!! If they didnt know, I could die from hypertension in a LSA at altitude and they wouldnt care less. Now that they know, they care. Nice double standard.

I had a chance to get my PPL instruction for free and I lost it!

Steve

Yep, playing the FAA medical game can be a pain the the rear, that's for sure!

Unfortunately, the FAA quit accepting our annual military flight physicals as renewals for our FAA medicals many years ago. Until now, I haven't had the need - or opportunity - to fly anything civilian since '98.
    SO - although I have my commercial instrument rotary wing ticket punched, I'll have to go through type-rating checkout AND FAA medical renewal all over again, whether I go fixed wing, rotary wing, strictly private, or commercial.

Hmm...sounds expensive. As in, what I'm now qualified to fly, civilan, could cost as much to rent in one afternoon as the purchase cost of a pretty good 473nm DPSS upgrade!

Maybe I should just take up skydiving again! It's SO much cheaper and easier - you just show up, climb to altitude - and jump!
    Plus, no landing fees...
    Last edited by Stuka; 11-28-2008 at 12:27.
    RR

Sweet.....