Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: quick size and cooling question (layout design)

how much height do you have? you could always mount the connectors on the top of the case by the fan, if that'll fit. You could also run the cables out to a breakout box.
    "TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
    "DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra

Just a thing I came across with my scanner, you may wanna give some clearance between the galvo's PSU and the amp, it will get VERY squishy with wires in there, so you dont want bare 240V anywhere near other metal. Nice job otherwise!

Default Been having good luck using electrical motor controllers boxes W/external heat sinks

I have been finding the nifty little motor controller boxes they have a couple 6 inch heat sinks on the sides for galvo amps and one simple flat lid, makes a tight RGY projector
    Quote Originally Posted by thesk8nmidget View Post
    hey im trying to fit my green into the smallest possible enclosure i can and i found a nice little enclosure i can use at a local store here and want to know if you think this layout would do?

its 10"x6"x3.5"

here is some pictures.

im thinking i may have some problems with cooling if i use it this way.

but let me know what you think

i would have the fans blowing out as you can see in this picture and on the other side i would have them blowing in.
    clicking on my avatar will show the tricolor photocoagulator resonator cavity from a Lumenis Varia eye surgery medical laser, which i am attempting to refit. It originally was designed to produce 50-1500mw of 532 / 50-600mw of 659nm / 50-600mw of 561nm (Yellow)
    Clicking on my Avatar will show a picture of the inside of this cavity with a 1cm bar diode in the first of 3 OEM postions & KTP holder.
    Caviar Dreams on pennies, well lots of pennies.

Smile

Hi Josh
    Take a look here...
    Maybe you could find nice suggestions & ideas
    http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/...ghlight=VIASHO

Cheers.
    my webpage
    http://stevemilani.jimdo.com
    Skype ID: stevemilani957

my RGB analogue projectors:
    3.9 W (640/532/445) 30kpps
    2.6 W (655/532/450) 30kpps
    2.5 W (638/532/450) 30kpps
    0.7 W (test unit)(635/532/473) 18kpps

Quote Originally Posted by thesk8nmidget View Post
    yeah it will be a nice little toy i just need to think of a name.

something evolving small
    You should call it "The Mircon" and here's a micro symbol for a logo
    µ

Josh
    The components you are using are all very familiar to me. So I will put in my oar.
    The laserwave head does not need to be mounted to a heatsink as its cooling is self contained. I would drill some holes in the front panel in front of where the laser is mounted and make a cowl from plastic or ally sheet that seals the holes so the air into them goes nowhere except into the vent hols at the front of the laser. Then make a duct up for the back of the head to exhaust that air out of the box. Laser sorted.
    What I would do with the LW driver & PSU is to mount the driver so its fans pass air through the mains PSU - I have done this with great success and the PSU will never get hot. That said I would supplement this by getting as much of the PSUs surface area flat to an ally plate either the base plate or an upright off the baseplate. You need to plan where that PSU/driver air comes from and goes to but as pointed out you could have air circulating in the box while keeping the scanners and laser output sealed.
    The scanner PSU wont get terribly hot and if mounted base down to a suitable base plate (5-6 mm will do), you will be ok. The Scanner drivers will get hot but again if you have them mounted down to the base plate you should be good. The scanner block to being bolted down well will be useful and as long as cool external air can be flowed in and out the base should stay cool.
    Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

that sounds like a great idea! i just need to buy some more aluminum and then go buy this enclosure!
    -Josh

quick psu question...

rob maybe you would know, or marc?

my current psu for the laser is 5 volts 7 amps. now would a 5 volt 5 amp psu work?

the reason i ask is i have a slightly smaller psu but its only 5 amps.

its a 500mw laser wave green.

i'll also email bridge.
    -Josh

Generally there is some headroom with the power supplies... however, I am unsure if the 5 amps would be adequate.

-Max

no worries now... i started the build and i found "just" enough room for the original 7 amp psu

now another question. i have scan pro 20s in this build and they run off a 15+ and 15- volt output. i bought a nice super quiet fan that runs off 12 volts. should i some how regulate a lead off of the 15+ volt supply or run some sort of boost driver off the 5 volt? or should 5 volt be adequate?

what would you guys do?

i was thinking the 15 volt then regulate it but is there a good easy regulating circuit for this?
    -Josh