Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: quick size and cooling question (layout design)

I agree with Max on the PSU - you may get away with it as there will be headroom but if the Tecs are working hard you may find it starts to flake. If like you say you can get it to fit in then job sorted.
    For the fan, take the 15 v and use a 7812 3 pin regulator - this will loose youe 3 extra volts. Screw it to the base or other convienent ally. Cant remember if the tab is connected top a pin or not so make sure you insulate the tab and screw.
    to get ultra quiet fans I run 12v ones off 5V supply. Some wont run but most will and you gat a nice quiet gentle breeze.
    Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

thanks for the update rob. i will see how it likes the 5 volts if not i will get that regulator!

it is already a very quiet 12db fan so 5 volts would make it silent!

also im uploading some pictures now!
    -Josh

well you guys love pictures so here it goes!

i will be mounting the scanner amps on a L shaped piece of aluminum for better cooling.

as you can see here i have the driver turned around so the fans will blow air through the psu's (a few pics down you will see the fan that will push air out)

here you see the lasers fan will push its air right out and there will be a filter here

in this picture you can see that the scanners psu is mounted above the lasers psu and there is a gap for air to pass through for better cooling.

here you can see that the psus are mounted using the screws on the side.
    i really couldnt figure out a better way to do this so i will just have to deal with some screw heads out the side but who cares what it looks like!

here you can see the filter layout.

and then here you see where the fan is.
    my goal is to have the driver push air through the psu's and then this fan will push that air out of the projector.

any suggestions or criticism is encouraged!
    -Josh

Yikes... the cable that runs in between the scan head and laser scares me being so close to those mirrors... Regardless its looking good. I can wait to see how it turns out!!

Quote Originally Posted by mliptack View Post
    Yikes... the cable that runs in between the scan head and laser scares me being so close to those mirrors... Regardless its looking good. I can wait to see how it turns out!!

oh no worries that will be adjusted once everything is bolted down. its just sitting there at its free will. that cord is very thick and hard to really hold into place without little mounts or zip ties.

but i assure you it will be far away from the laser and mirrors
    -Josh

Josh I believe you... I actually wasn't worried about the laser burning it... you can usually see the decreased output of the beam

But whenever I am working on my projector I always wrap my scanhead in cardboard and tape it... that way cords that close dont take 5 more years off my life.

as do i

and it currently is covered in cardboard but i had to take this off for pictures and aligning the mirrors
    -Josh

haha, alright... just seeing those pictures it caused some flashback images of seeing scanners with broken mirrors, and my stomach just sank.

Phew... theres a load off my shoulders...

yeah sadly i had my bad experience! and it was pretty bad...

here a picture of my dt40 pros....

mirror gone shaft also broken

but luckily i have those all fixed and jian even did a little upgrade to the amps that bill suggested

i am extremely careful now.
    -Josh

Wow - I bet there were some choice words when that happened.......

Well I am glad all is well now!