Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing clarification to something I recently wrote

Default Bringing clarification to something I recently wrote

Hi all,

Sometimes when I write or speak, I run into a problem. I make the assumption that the audience to whom I am presenting will actually understand not only the subject matter at hand, but also my presentation style, which sometimes tends to be proverbial in nature. I noticed that twice recently, my assumption was incorrect, and people came away from my communications with more confusion, than information.

The first recent time was at the ILDA meeting, where I presented a completely hypothetical situation involving an ILDA member who makes fog machines who creates a new fog machine innovation for the world that they call the "Hazer Playtricks". I presented this completely hypothetical situation in a manor very much like that of Penn & Teller. Within my ILDA presentation, I made the assumption that everyone in the room was familiar with the laser marketplace, all of the relevant players, name brands, company reputations, and -- oh by the way -- that everyone had actually seen Penn & Teller at least once in their lives. Well, it turns out that perhaps a lot of people didn't really "get" the point I was trying to make, partially because it turns out that 75% of the people there don't even know who Penn & Teller are...

(For the uninitiated, you should check out this video, among many others: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfPAjUvvnIc)

By the way, this whole "Hazer Playtricks" topic is a point for another discussion, because the second, and more important, and more recent topic is when I recently wrote that:

Recently there have been other companies come out with new versions of their software -- new versions for which they want you to pay more money. We will be watching the marketplace very closely to see if this is deemed to be acceptable, and if it is, then we might use this approach too. Certainly if people actually had to pay money each time we added a program, a show or updated the software, we would be making a lot more money. So, it will be interesting for us, to see if the marketplace finds the practice of charging for updates acceptable.

Once again, I made the assumption that all of the readers are completely familiar with all products in the marketplace, the recent behaviors on the part of companies, and everything else. And once again, it turns out that this must not be a valid assumption, because some people didn’t seem to “get” my overall points. In fact, it seems that my comments were taken a bit out of context and bled over onto other forums. So to help people understand this, I will try to exit from my proverbial writing style, and break this down for people, point by point.

The first point I was trying to make here is that -- recently, within this overall market, we have seen a few companies come out with new versions of their software, and now they want you to pay for the software update. Not only that, but they have vowed not to support the older versions of the software.

The second point is that -- at Pangolin, we have been using the term "free updates" since 1986. This is not only a term we throw around like water -- this is something we actually mean, and we have actually backed them up with real action. In the case of the LD2000 system, we have 10 years where people can see that we have offered free updates. And not only bug fixes, but real meaningful additions, like, for example, Asteroids, the Winamp plugin, LC-Flash, LC-4D and the list goes on and on. As we developed these things, we added them to the package for free.

The third point is that -- it costs Pangolin money to do these things. We had to work directly with Justin Frankel to make the Winamp plugin, and this involved trade deals, flights to meet with him, a lot of time, etc. We had to (and still have to) pay Valery's salary to write LC-Flash and Cathleen's salary to work on LC-4D, etc. etc. and so on. We spend the money, and then we pass the results onto our users for free.

Since we have seen companies offering updated software, but holding their hand out for more money, it appears as though Pangolin is the only company who is offering free updates. Not only talking about it, but actually doing it.

So my overall point is this. We are going to be watching the marketplace (that means, the people who actually buy software). And we are going to be watching their behavior (it means, how they spend their money). The marketplace will speak very loudly, and will make one of a few statements:

1. The markeplace will decide to buy Pangolin software, not only because we offer great products, but also because we offer free updates – and not only talk about it, but actually do it.
    2. The marketplace will exhibit apathy -- that people really don't care much about "free updates", and will just spend their money willy-nilly, on any company that appears to have the latest thing.

Which brings me to my final point. If we see that the marketplace really does not value free updates, then we MAY take the same tact that other companies seem to be getting away with, and we will simply introduce a "new version" of our product about every year, and hold our hands out for more money. WE WON'T DO THIS ON LD2000 OR THE FB3 -- BUT ON FUTURE PRODUCTS.

Basically, if the marketplace demonstrates to us, that it really doesn't value free updates, then why the heck is Pangolin acting so special and offering free updates? What makes us think we are so special, that we have to do something that nobody else in the entire world is doing (oops, there I go again speaking proverbially...). After all, if we did what "the other guys" are doing, we'd make a whole lot more money, and we'd be able to afford those long, stretched pink hummers with no problem.

So I hope this clarifies things for people. I WAS NOT saying that we would change our policy of free updates FOR THE LD2000 SERIES OR FOR THE FB3!! What I was saying is -- if the marketplace exhibits apathy (or, dare I say, stupidity?) then what the heck are we doing paying the top people in this industry salaries, just to give it away for free, if other companies are making money hand over fist?

Please let me know if I can clarify this further.

Best regards,

William Benner
    Last edited by Pangolin; 06-17-2009 at 16:52.

Thanks for clarifying Bill. That's the way I took it. So, when is the QM-2010 coming out?

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    ... we'd be able to afford those long, stretched pink hummers with no problem.....
    AHA !!
    I knew it !

Only kidding.
    Pangolin got to be special by being ..... special.
    Keep on being special, Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    AHA !!
    I knew it !

Only kidding.
    Pangolin got to be special by being ..... special.
    Keep on being special, Bill.

Word on the street is; the Hummer is canceled and the streched pink Learjet is on order. Blue neons, pimp tints, spinners and chrome mudflaps
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

top notch service and products @ pangolin!

Yes, I am about to be Pango'd and can't wait to get my teeth in to LivePro.

I hear its like the Masons, when do I get shown the special handshake?
    http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/3985/laser.gif

Doc's website

The Health and Safety Act 1971

Recklessly interfering with Darwin’s natural selection process, thereby extending the life cycle of dim-witted ignorami; thus perpetuating and magnifying the danger to us all, by enabling them to breed and walk amongst us, our children and loved ones.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Just a quick post from my side - the pink stretched Hummer was a small joke (I had the rendered image on my computer for a project, that's why it's pink). Absolutely not meant to attack someone or some company personally. I hope that was clear..

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I hear its like the Masons, when do I get shown the special handshake?
    Join and find out

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

I think paying for updates is crazy.
    Imagine you need to pay extra money everytime Microsoft release a new service pack. I think marketshare of apple would even grow faster like it allready did after the release of Vista.

This was one of the reasons we switched from Phoenix to Pangolin.

the switch from Phoenix to Pangolin was a expensive switch, but it was the best solultion for the future we thought. (we purchased the QM.net Pro + intro directly)