Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: quick size and cooling question (layout design)

Default quick size and cooling question (layout design)

hey im trying to fit my green into the smallest possible enclosure i can and i found a nice little enclosure i can use at a local store here and want to know if you think this layout would do?

its 10"x6"x3.5"

here is some pictures.

im thinking i may have some problems with cooling if i use it this way.

but let me know what you think

i would have the fans blowing out as you can see in this picture and on the other side i would have them blowing in.
    -Josh

Smile

Hi Josh.
    Sorry... but I can't understand where you would like to put fans...
    Pics no.2 and no.3 you attached are... identical between them (maybe you forgot to paint fans positions over them...)
    Anyway...
    I think galvos (they seems me the same model I have) don't need so great flow of air for cooling.
    Maybe the laser head has the worst position in the whole setup: it is "closed" at the corner of the case. Could be bit difficult to give it a good cooling flow.

On Web I've seen pics about 1 W - 2W single green projectors: their dimensions are about 35x25x10 cm. Maybe this can help you...

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I would install only one medium/big blowing-in fan (or two smaller) without any other blowing-out fan.
    Your case will be small, so flow of air is "forced" to go out through the projection hole in the front. (this could be a nice trick for to keep mirrors clean from smoke)
    This is my opinion.
    Cheers!
    Steve
    my webpage
    http://stevemilani.jimdo.com
    Skype ID: stevemilani957

my RGB analogue projectors:
    3.9 W (640/532/445) 30kpps
    2.6 W (655/532/450) 30kpps
    2.5 W (638/532/450) 30kpps
    0.7 W (test unit)(635/532/473) 18kpps

These are squidged up 190x260mm 1w units and work fine... a 60mm fan keeps the air positive pressure and moving through the back section with the laser/PSU's. The overkill heatsink/enclosure doesn't get warm, even with the laser driver heatsinking directly into it.

Steve, it's a good idea to totally seal up the optical side of things if possible
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0001.JPG  

I would re arrange it so that the scanner pair is as close to the front of case as possible which would allow for a smaller output hole (due to scan angle). I would also use two adjustable routing mirror mounts that will making aligning laser output to scanners much easier, currently you have no adjustment, may be you dont need it but it is nice to have. If you want to keep it like you have it, slide the laser output as close to the scanners as possible and use the room behind the lasers for wireing or whatever. There are a hundred ways to lay it out. It looks good, I wish i could build one!

Just a verry quick drawing..
    Maybe it could work for you?

oh it looks like one picture was a duplicate. so here... this shows the fans from the 500m5 laser head and also the drivers 2 fans..

are there any more pictures of the 1 watt lasers?
    -Josh

i would put the fan over top of the scan amps, you have fans on the back of the laser head and driver, if you can figure out which direction they're pulling you can use them as one set of fans to establish flow, so if they pull in, put the fan over the scan amps blowing out, and vice versa if they blow out.
    if you have mounted your scan amps to a good baseplate, that will help to keep them cool as well.
    "TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
    "DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
    i would put the fan over top of the scan amps, you have fans on the back of the laser head and driver, if you can figure out which direction they're pulling you can use them as one set of fans to establish flow, so if they pull in, put the fan over the scan amps blowing out, and vice versa if they blow out.
    if you have mounted your scan amps to a good baseplate, that will help to keep them cool as well.
    i was thinking about getting a little 1/4-1/2 inch thick plate to mount them on, that would still keep them low enough.

all three of those fans blow outwards so i will be getting another fan or two to blow in and they will be next to the scanner amps
    -Josh

sounds like a plan. that'll be a cute little projector when you're done.

one question: what are you doing with your connections?
    "TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
    "DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
    sounds like a plan. that'll be a cute little projector when you're done.

one question: what are you doing with your connections?
    yeah it will be a nice little toy i just need to think of a name.

something evolving small

for the connectors that should be a fun part

lol lots of tinkering and planing to do.. but i plan on just doing one serial port, no pass through. and then a power connector. and a small switch

any pointers would be great. i'll start the build on tuesday night!
    -Josh