Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LASER Light Could Take Place of Berlin Wall

Default LASER Light Could Take Place of Berlin Wall

How amazing is this
    Wall of Light Could Take Place of Berlin Wall
    http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,...235087,00.html
    WOW

QUOTE:
    Christian Dirks, a 35-year-old historian, along with architect Dirk Buecke, curator Catherina Mertens and light designer Sascha Hinz -- want the laser project realized by the time of the 20th anniversary of the barrier's destruction on Nov. 9, 2009.

Ever since Berlin's famous landmark was dismantled in 1989, the Berlin authorities have been in a quandary over the most suitable way of remembering the oppressive, grey 155-kilometer-long (around 96 miles) barrier, which not only sliced the city in half but also surrounded its western border for nearly 30 years, between 1961 and 1989.

"People would be able to pass through the wall of light without hesitation, symbolically, reliving the moment of the barrier's demise," explained architect Dirk Buecke, who said the idea would involve erecting 3.6-meter-high (12 feet) steel elements equipped with laser projectors, every 100 meters or so.

"The lights will illuminate the spot where the wall once stood, as well as the immediate border area. On roads that now link east-west Berlin, narrow strips of light at a height of 3.6 meters and at ground level will show the route of the wall," Buecke said.

that would be really cool! i have a piece of that wall
    -Josh

Great idea but how long before someone claims eye damage?

My momentum is too precisely determined :S

Quote Originally Posted by RGBLaserFan View Post
    Great idea but how long before someone claims eye damage?
    I guess two or three seconds.

Default Your right !!

Shame people are such wingers

Smile

I also have a piece of the Berlin wall. Broken off by my own effort back when I was a foreign exchange student in 1983.

This is a neat idea, but I would worry about the potential for eye exposure... If the laser is bright enough that the wall is visible, then it probably wouldn't be eye-safe.

Adam

While we're talking about pieces of stuff, I have a few pieces of the Votivkirche in Vienna. I went over there with my high school orchestra in '97 and grabbed a few pieces that were a result of refurbishing going on at the time. (We played a few numbers there, it was pretty awesome with the whole cathedral-reverb going on.)

And, sort of back on topic: What happened to the plans to make a laser New Jerusalem? I remember reading somewhere that some guy planned on using a number of high-powered lasers to make a holographic "New Jerusalem" in the sky and descent it down over the current one. I read he had permission from both the Israelis and Palestinians to do this too..

-Jonathan

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by platinum View Post
    While we're talking about pieces of stuff, I have a few pieces of the Votivkirche in Vienna. I went over there with my high school orchestra in '97 and grabbed a few pieces that were a result of refurbishing going on at the time. (We played a few numbers there, it was pretty awesome with the whole cathedral-reverb going on.)
    Johnathan... I didn't know you played in a high school orchestra! What instrument? (And do you still play?)

You guys must have been pretty good to merit a trip to Vienna! Got any pics of the church?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Johnathan... I didn't know you played in a high school orchestra! What instrument? (And do you still play?)

You guys must have been pretty good to merit a trip to Vienna! Got any pics of the church?

Adam
    I played String Bass. I still have it, but it needs a little work. (bridge, fingerboard) I haven't played that, or the piano, for some time now but I keep playing with the idea of picking them back up again.

I bet there are pictures somewhere. We had a CD made with some songs (Adagio for Strings, for instance) that were recorded at the church.

The Sprague High School Orchestra placed first that year and a number of years before that at the Vienna Youth and Music Festival and, a little while after I left, became a Grammy Signature School something or other.

-Jonathan

Cool

Very cool, dude! It's interesting to see how many laser hobbyists are also musicians. (more than you might think!) String bass and piano, eh? Awesome.

Sounds like you went to a hell of a good school. And don't worry, you can always pick up your instrument later, when you find the time.

Maybe we should add a day to SELEM so we can have a laserist jam session?

Adam