Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone Like this idea??

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    ..I'm really touched.
    Thanks for the confession but we kinda guessed this when you started foaming at the mouth.

Is this image the original art or did you shrink it down?

If so, would you send me the full size original, please!

James.

ooooh a non-coherent section.... You guys might have some bit of a challenge there

Quote Originally Posted by mliptack View Post
    ooooh a non-coherent section.... You guys might have some bit of a challenge there
    Sounds like a PL-themed drinking contest to me!
    "TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
    "TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
    "DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra

I like the idea of a group contest , but it could be made a LOT simpler if the winners were randomly generated in a verfifyable fashion. IE/ pulled out a hat at some of the laser meets.

The problem about picking winners in catagories etc is i see a lot of noses out of joint as like the Eurovision song contest is it could become more about politics or allegiences or particular gangs than about the actual content ..and in the long term break apart the group spirit

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
    Sounds like a PL-themed drinking contest to me!
    Haha... not what I was going for... but okay - sure... it works that way too.. I'm weight just under 2 bucks but I could probably take a considerable amount of you under with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasermad View Post
    I like the idea of a group contest , but it could be made a LOT simpler if the winners were randomly generated in a verfifyable fashion. IE/ pulled out a hat at some of the laser meets.

The problem about picking winners in catagories etc is i see a lot of noses out of joint as like the Eurovision song contest is it could become more about politics or allegiences or particular gangs than about the actual content ..and in the long term break apart the group spirit

PAUL
    Paul... in many ways I agree. I like the overall idea, but I've seen forums fall apart with this type of system. Something I dont want to see PL do.

"Paul... in many ways I agree. I like the overall idea, but I've seen forums fall apart with this type of system. Something I dont want to see PL do. "

Could you offer further details on that one to me please , as i have difficulty understanding why a randomly generated , verifyable winner raffle would cause issue .

Surely the possibility of voting on peoples abilities , is a lot more personal , and has a lot more chances of causing he group to break.
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

You misunderstood me - sorry that post was confusing. I didn't mean through random generation (although it would be dumb if someone who just joined had the ability to win something IMO). But I was a part of a forum that had points attributed to posts the more 'quality' in your post (or rather how long your post was - if it had any quality at all) the more points you would receive. At the end of the month or quarter you could redeem these points to buy stuff that was donated by sponsors. You could also give your points to someone else. But it was just that vbulletin cant see when a post is quality or when its garbage. So we then started to get a flood of garbage posts just from people trying to get free stuff.

Smile

This is an interesting idea, Marc. Steve's idea has merit as well. We actually tried to do something like that at SELEM this year, but equipment problems foiled the plan.

However, there is the problem of hurt feelings to consider. And as a few people have already posted, these sort of things can degenerate into a popularity contest rather quickly.

Personally, I'd like to exempt myself from any sort of competition like that right now. It's one thing if we're talking about being named to a top 10 list just for fun, but as soon as there is hardware (or money) involved it gets thorny, and I would feel very uncomfortable participating.

James said it best: "A lot of us do things that make us each outstanding in our own ways. Recognition and reward come in many forms." I would consider that an axiom.

For me, the reward is the participation in the forums, the new ideas and projects I see people coming up with, and the *awesome* fun we all have at the Laser Enthusiast's Meetings. That's enough for me...

Adam