Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Like this idea??

Default Anyone Like this idea??

Hello all...

I have been pondering something...

how about if we did some sort of a "Member of the month" type of incentive?

We could all come up with a prize to give away each month. something reasonable. obviously not a 1 watt blue laser or anything. mirror mounts, PBS cubes, Dichros, dinner gift cards...anything. just some sort of an incentive to keep this community and its users active and keep the focus of the posts and substance here more educational and more "Professional."

just an example...

-Nov 30 we all here decide as to what the prize will be. (for this example...lets say (2) 25mm dichros)

-i, or adam, or DZ or ANYONE here we all trust set up a paypal account for each member to donate or "pay" for the cost of the prize. it would be what, maybe $1 each?? or $1.50?? JUST enough to pay for the prize and shipping.

-we purchase the item(s) either from me, dave, bridge, LSP, ANYONE. (This ISNT for me to sell LaserWave items!!) it can be a prize from any company. i dont care.

-at the end of the months we *ALL* decide who the most helpful, suppportive or helping, member is. and they win the prize!?!?

we ALL decide before hand as to the specifics. obviously this is just in my head right now. but i have seen MANY members (DZ, Adam, Mecheng, mixedgas...etc...etc...) who have gone WELLLLLLLLL above and beyond what this forum is all about.

I have seen many new members come along and be a VERY positive additojn here. i just think something like this will relly spark some good things.

any thoughts??

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Default I think a great idea would be to have members put in so much each on a raffle

And the excess over the raffle items cost go to support this forum!
    clicking on my avatar will show the tricolor photocoagulator resonator cavity from a Lumenis Varia eye surgery medical laser, which i am attempting to refit. It originally was designed to produce 50-1500mw of 532 / 50-600mw of 659nm / 50-600mw of 561nm (Yellow)
    Clicking on my Avatar will show a picture of the inside of this cavity with a 1cm bar diode in the first of 3 OEM postions & KTP holder.
    Caviar Dreams on pennies, well lots of pennies.

You're a good guy. I'm sure your heart is in the right place, but I don't really like the idea of turning the PL into a popularity contest. It kinda' goes against the totally non-commercial atmosphere of the PL. No one should be put on a pedestal for any reason. We're all in this together. It seems like people who do good things get favors done for them in return anyway.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 11-18-2008 at 20:48.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Trust F'ugly Betty to throw a spanner in the works !!

However, whilst it might be a nice idea with the most noble of intentions (spreading the luurve etc,) I don't think it would last long with some peeps paying up and others refusing to do so or forgetting.
    It may also elicit comments such as "Why should someone who hasn't contributed be offered a crack at the monthly prize", etc.

We should all settle for an occasional group hug instead (obviously not including the self-obsessed fat kid with glasses).

ok-

was just an idea.
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

I like the idea ....

But rather than a monthly thing with prizes.... why not make it an annual event without prizes

say we could nominate members for certain different categories ... and then we could all vote for them

for instance.... THE PHOTONLEXICON AWARDS 2008

best achievement of the year
    best Free Laser software
    best home built projector of the year
    best tie dyed shirt of the year
    best thread starter
    best laser related forum ( no brainer that one )

and so on

just a bit of fun ..... and with the end of the year looming a great time to do it, and respect the contributions of the members

all the best .... Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Banthai View Post
    I like the idea ....

But rather than a monthly thing with prizes.... why not make it an annual event without prizes

say we could nominate members for certain different categories ... and then we could all vote for them

for instance.... THE PHOTONLEXICON AWARDS 2008

best achievement of the year
    best Free Laser software
    best home built projector of the year
    best tie dyed shirt of the year
    best thread starter
    best laser related forum ( no brainer that one )

and so on

just a bit of fun ..... and with the end of the year looming a great time to do it, and respect the contributions of the members

all the best .... Karl
    i think this would be a good idea!! could be a lot of fun!
    -Josh

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I got a Better one. Do what L. Michael did at his laser-fx conferences.

Awards for best beam show, best graphics show, best frame, best new hardware.

Peer voted by THOSE WHO WERE THERE. You did'nt win much, just a cheesy 1.5" diameter brewster stem made of Lexan, but it was worth it cause it was peer voted, not voted on by a tiny group of 3 judges like ilda awards. In some cases there were cash prizes or gift certificates.
    I'm not gonna argue if some corporate sponser puts up a pair of scanners or a blue dpss.

I have one, second place audience scanning beamshow. (theres a story to that, during transcription to tape my show (done with rmud) got put on the adat upside down, by the awards crew, and it was audience scanning, and everything else was sooo boring that night. you can imagine what happened....., hot light everywhere) I stood up and started to yell "terminate", in case it was unsafe, but no less then Tim Walsh grabbed me by the shoulder, pulled me down and said "Let it run, at least yours has some artistic merit" A show from Tarm lasertecnik beat me, and its a honor to be defeated by Tarm.

So lets instead of hardware, do what Laserfreak does, and offer prestige:

So. Best Static Effect. Best Over All Show, Best Animation, Best song graphics, Best song beams. Best beam array. Best non audience scanning beams. Best Logo. Best new technology - software (pro and amateur) best new technology hardware (pro and amateur) Best frame-static
    We already have the survey function for voting.

rules: no more then 20% of the content can come from commercial sources.
    Your pro if you make more then 5% of your income doing show lasers or if you hold a variance.you only get one entry per catagory.
    There is no team voting and you only get to vote ONCE per catagory
    You will make one standardized format post announcing your entry
    No bribery.
    5 seasoned PL members or Spec will decide ties. If it gets really thorny or spec wants to compete, we will ask Laserfreak or the Ilda awards comm to bust the tie as a professional curtesy,.LFX used paper ballots.....

Your limited to a two minute youtube video, or a 4 page doc or pdf to keep the bandwidth down.

THERE WILL BE NO ON LINE DISCUSSION OF THE MERITS OF A PARTICULAR ENTRY BEFORE VOTING. You participate, you agree to the rules as binding. NO WHINING.

All entries must be available for show at a PL sanctioned meeting like SELEM , FLEM, or UKLEM, if possible after the awards, exceptions of course for clients who retain copyright or if its technically impossible, ie you cant hang the bounce mirrors. We'll be rather loose on whats impossible. Just like LFX, a trusted member of PL gets the content for the conference duration, then ships it back (tape/cd) or destroys it after display. If you ask,it will NOT be videotaped at the conf.

Beam shows will be either ISP (ilda standard projector, one head with lumia and beam posiitions) or LFX, two heads scanned flipped on the horizontal axis with the same signals about 20 feet apart. Aud scanned shows will have all aud scanning effects set up for below the zero line (x axis halfway up is zero) and designed for a 300 mW projector with 30k galvos with a 15' scan angle with the aud at the back of the selem auditorium. If you only have a 5 mW hene and design a show in rgb, we'll be glad to send you a DVD of your effects at SELEM if you win and if somebody has the hardware to play back your show.

I'm sure DSLI Jon has seen the dual heads arrangement and can vouch for it, as can B.B.

anything for who helped out the most is simply a popularity contest. This makes it artistic,

Winners get a cheesy piece of laser engraved lexan or glass, and they pay the shipping on the award. We have one or two members with access to engravers.You get a dated "award winner" avatar. Thats it.

Preview functions of software dont count. It has to be in laser. There is no rule that says it must be your system that projects the entry, but it has to be in laser. Ie if you got a friend at Disney and they put your frame on the illuminations system, oh well....

All participants agree if it goes to court, it will be in the Jurisdiction of McMurdo Sound, Antartica, In Vivo, meaning you have to be there. Looser gets to go swimming with arctic sharks with lasers on their heads.

THAT FAIR ENOUGH?
    Last edited by mixedgas; 11-19-2008 at 07:44.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Woah !!
    Too many rules man.
    I got dizzy halfway down and blacked out briefly.

I thought this place was supposed to be fun !

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    Woah !!
    Too many rules man.
    got dizzy halfway down and blacked out briefly.

I thought this place was supposed to be fun !
    There are one or two miscrients around here who need rules. you know whom I'm thinking about....

You mean you dont want to go to McMurdo in the colder part of the year???????

I'll see if I have a copy of the LFX rules.

Steve