Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Permanant Outdoor Lasers - COld / Heat Protection

Default Permanant Outdoor Lasers - COld / Heat Protection

Occasionally , very occasionally ..well maybe twice in the last few years have been asked about installations outdoors .. living in a country where the tempetures can vary a lot over winter period ( maybe down to minus 7 or minus 2 regulary ) i have shyed away from getting involved

Just wondering for the longer term if anyone knows of any installations outdoors where lasers are subjected to tempreture extremes and how its dealt with , or even if theres a off the shelf solution !

Anybody ever made this wheel before and preapred to share some info ?

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Default Easy...Just follow laserman532 life long policy

Never leave your laser where you wouldn't sleep.

Post I have installed a LOT of high end Security And CCTV & this is how they were protect

For overheating the technique used is an aluminum sun shield that is curved over the actual housing by a couple tenths of a inch by some non heat conductive offsets.

Forced air is used in the cameras with a simple round bimettalic sping loaded overheat switch air filters are used to keep spidey things out!

For condensation and or freezing issues most use a large sandcast resistor with another bimettalic switch to control usually condensation.

If a hard freeze is a issue a second heater is used and usually requires a seperate additional 40W 12vac supply.

Some use little heat paks that can be adhered in 2-4 critical areas.

The offset heat shield prevents direct heating by sun to extremes and all the high end guys do this, Like Bosch Phillips Panasonic look at dome traffic cams for examples.

Regardo's From Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Lasermad View Post
    Occasionally , very occasionally ..well maybe twice in the last few years have been asked about installations outdoors .. living in a country where the tempetures can vary a lot over winter period ( maybe down to minus 7 or minus 2 regulary ) i have shyed away from getting involved

Just wondering for the longer term if anyone knows of any installations outdoors where lasers are subjected to tempreture extremes and how its dealt with , or even if theres a off the shelf solution !

Anybody ever made this wheel before and preapred to share some info ?

PAUL
    clicking on my avatar will show the tricolor photocoagulator resonator cavity from a Lumenis Varia eye surgery medical laser, which i am attempting to refit. It originally was designed to produce 50-1500mw of 532 / 50-600mw of 659nm / 50-600mw of 561nm (Yellow)
    Clicking on my Avatar will show a picture of the inside of this cavity with a 1cm bar diode in the first of 3 OEM postions & KTP holder.
    Caviar Dreams on pennies, well lots of pennies.

I wonder what the smallest split-coil air system is.

I often see these types of units set up to cool/heat one room like IT rooms. I don't see why they wouldn't make really small units for stuff like what you're talking about.

Laserman532's notion makes sense to me. If you heat and cool it, it should be fine. (Or at least heat it, if it's going to be in a cold environment.)

-Jonathan

this is interessting

Hi Paul

there are 2 outdoor installation close to me ( blackpool)

the first is on the seafront and is part of the illuminations show this projects images on to a screen it is in a perpex bubble and im not sure of the ambiant control

the other is in the worst possible place .... at the top of the blackpool tower .... when i spoke to the guy that commisioned it he said it was a hi wattage yag that had ambiant temperture control built in, to maintain the cabinet at ambiant temperature, irelivent of the outside temperature

details here .... maybe worth contacting them and asking

http://lasertechnologyltd.co.uk/en/blackpool.shtml

all the best ... Karl

details here .... maybe worth contacting them and asking

http://lasertechnologyltd.co.uk/en/blackpool.shtml

all the best ... Karl

Holy cow!!!!
    35W!!!
    how much it cost?
    £ 100,000.......200,000 ..... half million Euro's.....or what?
    my webpage
    http://stevemilani.jimdo.com
    Skype ID: stevemilani957

my RGB analogue projectors:
    3.9 W (640/532/445) 30kpps
    2.6 W (655/532/450) 30kpps
    2.5 W (638/532/450) 30kpps
    0.7 W (test unit)(635/532/473) 18kpps

Why not a TEC (or several) on a control circuit that can flip the positive and negative line on the TEC so at a certain temp it will cool and at another temp it will cool. Again if it gets to a certain extreme temp it could kick on another TEC or something larger that would require more power... just a thought

Lightbulb

Hey Paul -

Quote Originally Posted by Lasermad View Post
    Occasionally , very occasionally ..well maybe twice in the last few years have been asked about installations outdoors .. living in a country where the tempetures can vary a lot over winter period ( maybe down to minus 7 or minus 2 regulary )
    Well, since you mostly asked about cold, I'll focus my 'dos centavos' on that - some good suggestions here for cooling, and I can add to that, that this stuff, works better than you might think on an enclosures' exterior, via simple reflection - conversely, works great internally in a projector, for keeping heat IN...a bubble-foil-wrapped box might look a bit wacky, though! (sorry, coudn't resist a jab... PS - photo-credit: 300EVIL.., buddy! )

Anyhoo, my real point was, we've always had very good success with Chromalox 'blankets' and a simple thermostat - this is the same stuff General Scanning used to promote for use on the 'G120s'... you can get them in pretty small to very large sizes, and the stuff is very reasonable (cost-wise)...and we've tested in some pretty large projector cabinets (12" H x 24" W x 60" L, all aluminum-skinned) and they keep them pretty toasty even in pretty-cold environments...HERE is a resource for them closest I could find to ya - perhaps if you Google 'Chromalox' from there, you might find a supplier closer-still...

There are also 'off-the-shelf' weather-proof enclosures, but you do have to be careful with 'air-tight' boxes - getting the right balance of 'warm-yet-sweat-proof' is a bit tricky - would be best to experiment with a 'dummy box' and a heater / foil-bubblewrap to insulate the walls-combo... any 'HVAC'-pros out there care to chime in?? I'm certainly no expert, but we've done well with those two products, in-tandem..

solo mis dos centavos
    peace..
    j
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC00947.jpg  

Last edited by dsli_jon; 11-28-2008 at 17:26. Reason: fixed bad link
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Hugo from laserimage uses heated windows in his latestprojectors.

Sometime when a rave is held in a large expo hall, it can be very cold and the window can condensate.

the heater is a special square heater to fit arround the 6x5cm window.