Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Dual red build (pics)

I always love to read the comments of people who know more about LaserBoy than I do!

Geeeeeeeeeeeeez!

James.

I bought my 1st laser in 1980, bought a TRS-80 Model 1, built a home-designed DAC for it, and ran GS scanners with lasershow software I wrote in assembler. Does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by trwalters001 View Post
    I bought my 1st laser in 1980, bought a TRS-80 Model 1, built a home-designed DAC for it, and ran GS scanners with lasershow software I wrote in assembler. Does that count?
    Pretty sure that makes you one of the "old timers" - reckon' you know shit, too!!
    Last edited by Stuka; 01-09-2009 at 14:22.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Too damn old...

The safety interlock connection and the +5VDC shutter actuator voltage can go through the ILDA connector just like they do in any other system.

The sound card DAC is just the part that makes the signals that control X, Y and colors.

LaserBoy is all about what YOU make of it.

I am totally blown away by some of the assumptions about what LaserBoy is and is not.

Get it. Use it. Ask questions. Understand it.

I go out of my way to help people with it.

Don't write all about it from a perspective of total ignorance.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 01-09-2009 at 13:02.

The audioDAC and DACs that run even if the computer crashes are incomparable, really, in many functionality aspects and in price. There is no reason to bicker and compare them they are indifferent leagues. However, the audioDAC does work and opens up a lot of possibilities and functions in a way that many budget-minded hobbyists would consider 'adequate.' In the software realm James and Carmangary are working toward killer software, with (currently) Laserboy the frame and sequence creation tool and Spaghetti the show synchronisation and frame/sequence manipulation/morph tool. There is the free version of HE-Laserscan (single scanner only) that is itself a very capable professional program although with a somewhat un-intuitive interface. It even has an English manual which is more than can be said of many free softwares available here. And let's not forget LFI and its abstracts or the Zoof games current and forthcoming also LazyMame. So, there is a lot to experience and experiment with and little reason for a beginner not to test the waters of their creativity and enjoyment with these inexpensive/free solutions before deciding to spring for the 'big one'. That said, I agree with buffo if you do decide to spring for 'the big one' save up and go all the way. At that point you've either got a lot of $ in the hobby already or are basically a laser professional.

Thanks for the suggestion of the shutter control, I'll add that functionality into the EzAudDac driver in the future. But I'd love to see more progress on that FailSafe device in that thread. As previously stated, ANY hardware can fail.

On topic, James, what's the status of your dual red!?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by drlava View Post

On topic, James, what's the status of your dual red!?
    Still unknown.

James.

Quote Originally Posted by loopee View Post
    Flecon

Yes it can, it’s called LD2000.net

If you already have the QM2000 you can get the network adapter board for it, then you can run you’re projector up to 100 metres away from you laptop
    Can you do that with a soundcard
    i am aware, but i think i have given pangolin enough of my $$$ considering this is 99% hobby and i had to save all my expendable income for 6 months to buy my intro system, i dont think im going to drop all that money on what is basically a fancy nic/microcontroller thing to PCI adapter...

that being said, last time i checked, this website was for hobbiests that like lasers, in which case laser boy is excellent becuase, well, its free! leaving us to spend more money on photon makers

is pangolin great when you really want to knock out a show quickly? sure... can laserboy do everything pangolin can with safety blah blah blah etc, no, but who cares, its free

Yeah... I've heard about people like you!

I bet you're so cheap you build your own audio power amps too!

Pity. You miss out on all that consumer market noise and distortion.

James.

Wink

And I am a consumer... If I could affortd a Lightwave; I'd toss this heavy ass, radioactive beast I call a projector into a back section of the everglades...