Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crazy folks...

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    Well, it's not really explosive... Just highly corrosive. H2O2 is just an oxidizer. Now, if you mix H2O2 with the right fuel and proper catalyst to chain the molecules, you'll then have an explosive.
    I was just going off of what Steve mentioned about the portable rig for charging the jet pack. ..didn't quite think it through.

-J

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    . . .So the truck they have to haul around to make the high test peroxide, aka 31% or greater compared to the .3% you get at the drugstore, is about the same as a few tons of fertilizer based explosive if something goes wrong. So pray for his audience that they built it well.

Steve

Cool

I believe Steve was referring to concentrated hydrogen peroxide's tendency to spontaneously (and rather violently) decompose to water, oxygen, and heat. Basically the same thing that happens under controlled circumstances in the jet pack. But uncontrolled, yeah - it could go boom from overpressure.

If you added a little hydrazine to the mix, then you'd have basically the same rocket fuel that the Germans used to fuel the ME 163 Comet. Seriously dangerous stuff, but powerful as hell.

I've seen hydrazine and 30% peroxide mixed just once... It destroyed an open 200 ml ceramic crucible in a single, very *loud* detonation.

Still pretty amazed that the dude made it across. I wouldn't have thought he could get going at top speed so quickly. Clearly he's been practicing with the thing...

Adam