Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What kind of show can be built for under $10k

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Ted View Post
    It seems as if most of the videos I have found so far appear to be really high end shows and club set ups, I would love to see what folks are creating on a < $10k budget.

Thanks again
    With ~1W RGB (high amateur...2W is a low pro)you can do a lot of good stuff. You can do ok animation is low light environments. and good beam shows with no/minimum lights. (Hazed well) The problem starts when you turn the lights on. Thats the biggest killer. Most of my shows are weddings bar/batmizvah birthdays and corporate. Those are one the most demanding power things. You need at minimum 2W RGB. Ideally 5W. But the price rises exponentially.
    1W is around 7K$ 2W=~14K$ 3W=25K 5W 40K and so on. But 10K$ will get you a good setup.
    Here is some of videos. (Mine is 2.2W) I need to upload some more. I have sooo many more.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DoctLaser
    Last edited by Dr Laser; 11-23-2008 at 18:38.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

one of my favorites is from a member here using a 500mw rgb projector

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji7jn4z2wTQ
    -Josh

Hey FT -

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Ted View Post
    I'm here in the southwest (NM) and my net searching has turned up little in my immediate area.
    First, I add my voice in saying, 'Welcome to PL'...

Second, I knew of at least one Co in NM some years ago - have no idea whether they are still in biz / still in NM, etc, etc, but they are / were: http://www.specialtymile.com/laserprod/ ... might be worth a ring-up, at least, especially if they still do shows - and if so, might give you some exposure to the world of 'ion laser' shows, since it looks like their work was likely of that 'era' (Netscape 2.0???.. lol..)

But in going DPSS / diode (which is prolly your best bet to start-up with, unless you REALLY need HIGH-power or a scientific-grade beam, etc...) as a hobbiest, stay tight to PL, and you'll learn a lot and have more fun than you would going down the 'ion path', at least right off the bat - ions can be a pretty 'harsh master'...(but one that still kicks @$$!

Lastly, next time we're in that neck of the woods on any gig, (we very-well may be again in '09...) I'll let ya know, and you will be welcome to come out and 'hang' and 'talk shop' / peek under the hood of a big, bad ion or 40W etc, etc...

Anyhoo, for what it's worth...

peace..
    J
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

For 10K, I'd be inclined to get a 5w CuBr. But thats definitely not for beginners.

Great info thus far again thanks to all

Same goes for the PM's, I'm responding to them as I can as well as punching off a few of my own. Otherwise I have been doing lots of reading up here and even on the Pangolin site as well (I actually found it before I found PL), I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I start asking silly questions.

Although I do have one that I cannot seem to find an answer to, with reference to shows what exactly is a "sniper". I have found numerous videos where folks list their equipment including their main projector(s) but also various "snipers". Is this just a generic term for a single color projector used in conjunction with a main RGB or am I missing something here?

Also yesterday while talking about my ideas with a friend I had another person tell me that they would like to see what I come up with on this project, this because they might be interested in paying me to do a "show" at a pub-crawl (I'm really surprised by the interest). So I would love to hear from anyone who is hiring themselves out who might be willing to share some of their experience in this area, feel free to send me a PM.

Thanks, Mark
    Last edited by Farmer Ted; 11-25-2008 at 17:28.