Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Decisions, Decisions

Cool

One thing to consider is the service industries. They don't seem to be going anywhere, even in this lousy economy.

With your background Steve, I would think a large hospital would love to scoop you up for their Medical Equipment Maintenance... I knew a guy that worked as a medical equipment tech at the university downtown. Made nearly 50K (this was 15 years ago, mind you) with nothing more impressive than an associates degree. His job consisted of fixing the TV's in the rooms, the call buttons on the beds, and the computers at the nurse's desk. Every once in a while he'd get to play with one of the 2 surgical lasers they had. (Both CO2.) Pragmatic ability still means something in that world, or at least it did in the 90's when I knew that dude. Either way, I'd check into the medical field; those jobs aren't going away.

Environmental technology is expanding too. Ok, it's not sexy, but it's been paying my mortgage for the last 15 years... My Comp Sci degree is useless in this job market, but my "A" wastewater licence is golden. Go figure.

Another idea would be technical writing. But that's cyclical. Maybe you can land a gig - maybe not. But it's worth looking into if you haven't already tried.

As for leaving home - that's a tough one. Good points were raised by others about the increased cost of living on your own vs where you are now. Might end up wiping out the 15-20K difference in salary.

Other thing to consider is if your mom will be OK on her own. If so, and if you're ready to start thinking about settling down with someone, then maybe a move would do you good. But there are a lot of negatives associated with pulling up your roots. (Not to mention the fact that you might not get the job in that other town anyway.)

Would it really be that bad if you took the university job now and then left in 2 months? I mean, tell them up front that you need a living wage, and that $24K isn't going to cut it. Tell them you'll take it because you're hurting, but if something better comes along they've got to understand that you need to go with the one that will pay the bills...

Adam

Lightbulb

Hey Steve-

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Would it really be that bad if you took the university job now and then left in 2 months?
    Yeah, that's what I'd do in these shoes - like the 'essence' of what Pat said, too, 'a bird in hand is worth two in the bush'...

So what you do is, get 'this bird', now - though it's a little less, at least you 'eat one' - as you 'make your way over' to 'check the bush out' - and if there is, indeed '2 more in the bush' - well, go get 'em! - I would not worry about what leaving this one job might do to future prospects for working in the same, less-desireable circumstances (low-paying EDU gig...)

Like Adam said, you should be golden in the med-service field - ever check with Laserscope? (or other large med-laser co with a lot of 'placements'; ie Sharplan, etc...) - But I know, like you said, you are faced with an immediate-desicion, and all these other great ideas are longer-term (...probably 2-3 mo's out, unless you stumbled upon something unexpected...)

If it gets really 'dire' with the house / Mom conundrum - you could always take her with you - http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/houses/lusby/ (sorry, not meaning to be a smart @$$...but they are nice inside, aren't they??

Anyhoo, wish you the best... I could offer some free 'indefinite-period' storage in Roc at the shop in our old overflow space...
    Even if you needed more space that we have, it's CHEAP there, and heated... if that can help...

peace..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Thanks jon, btw, I need to get up there and do your WL.

Right now I'm gonna play .edu against the defense contractor, ie if you give me one more pay grade, I'll think about it, plus credit for my existing 7.5 years in state service, ie I get the vacation and sick days I already have, that might make it attractive.

Otherwise if its gonna be 40 hour weeks 8 to 4:30 with a 30 minute lunch and perfect attendance, no chance to get off campus to get things done, I'd rather move.

The D.C. is offering 4 x 10 hour days, vs the .edus 8 to 4:30, the problem being at 25K, Id need to do some ahem, supplemental work with laser etc. So How do I get to St Louis or Orlando and be back for monday at 8AM? See a prob here? Even southwest is up to 300$ each way, and NOBODY is gonna add 700$ to their service costs.

I might just take it for two months, but I'll bet the health care doesnt kick in for 90 days of probation.

Problem is, when a state agency budgets x dollars for a position, they have to have x dollars in the bank to fund it. So odds are there is nothing they could offer to raise it up.

How do I get a day off to go over to FT wayne to even interview if I take the .edu?

decisions, decisons.

I have a come and see us, from the DC, based on work for a third party. DC wants a research/manufacturing guy and will have no problem coming up with funding for 3 years or so. But its still, just a come see us.

ARGHHHHH!!!!

Hey Steve -

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Thanks jon, btw, I need to get up there and do your WL.
    Don't worry about that right now - it's just the studio WL - we can program with an I-90 - your life / living are far more important...
    but if / when we work it out for you to do that, my offer of 'free storage' still stands, if ya need it...

KIT..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

the state university job just might supply a fresh grad student.

oui oui?

Default From across the pond...

Steve
    Things are bad both sides of the pond mate. I got neighbours and friends alike unemployed...

I cant offer any advice....but I can offer good wishes....I'm sure you will make the right decision , for YOU!
    All the best
    Kev
    Move toward the light!

One benefit of working at a university, is that usually you can take classes for a discounted rate or free. But that also would imply that you were interested in more classes! A masters degree in something interesting might be fun!

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

[QUOTE=wes;71157]the state university job just might supply a fresh grad student.

Its a lib arts school, famous for its partying, much more liberal then the stiff, stuffy, place I used to work at, so the possibilty strongly exists for a replacement.

Steve

Default Jobs

Hey Steve,

The hospital I work for always has openings for Biomedical Electronics Tech's. Perhaps you could look at the hospitals in your area and see if any are hiring. I once talked to the hiring manager here and they basically look for anyone with a solid electronics background, certification not required. Here the starting pay was somewhere around $40K. Just a thought...

-George

Steve,

Do You think Your mom's trying to tell You that once You're gone, there's nothing to come back to ? ... I mean an encapsulated blackmail that she needs You ?

If assuming that You moved out, then with time Your mom's health got worse, would You be obliged to come back to care her ? Or is it working otherwise - that if she decides to sell the house, she would move to some social-fed 'golden fall' institution ?

Selling home in US ain't easy these days, but if it happened You would be paid some extra cash, right ?

If/since You feel that You're ready to start Your own family, do You think mom's presence/neighborhood/common living would completely prevent You from succeeding doing so ?

If Your mom would be well taken care of in following years so You wouldn't have change back Your plans, You're ready for a family but will have to move out to proceed, and there's a chance for partial reimbursment for loosing house in some future, then I'd say it's time to move.

I'd add that dominating factor in my analysis would be Your WILL to start Your new life, but NOT in single.

Piotr.K