Thread: "Noob" guide to online video posting...

Default "Noob" guide to online video posting...

So, I'm HOPING to do a "Stuka's Garage Holiday Laser Show", and would be interested in filming the show & posting online for my family & friends that can't be around to "sniff the fog juice" at the real event.

So, for any of you "youngsters" that are well-versed with the online video posting scene (I personally have never been there, never done that! ) -

Any recommendations on sites to use, video formats, filming do's and don'ts, etc.? I plan on using my JVC Everio hard disk camcorder (the one I has at SELEM '08) as the camera.

Thanks!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

i think ustream.com is a good place..
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

Cool

It's not ustream.com... It's ustream.tv

Google video works pretty well, and there's always youtube...

Adam

Hey Randy,
    Since you already have a harddisk camcorder I'm sure your well versed in importing video from your camera to the computer. From there you can take the raw video file and import it into a video editing software. Windows Movie Maker is free if you have Vista. Most video hosting sites like YouTube have limitations on video length and file size. (example: 10 minutes / 100MB)

In the video editing software you can corp your video to the correct length and add titles and transitions and whatnot to enhance your video. From there you publish your video which will compress it to the right size.

Now that you have the file you want to upload to your favorite video host; just signup for an account and upload. Pretty simple stuff to get the hang of after you've done it once or twice.

If you need any help getting started in the video editing portion of it, feel free to PM me your phone number and I'll walk you through it over the phone.

Good Luck!
    Adam

Thanks, Adam (and Adam, and keeperx!!)

I'm not too concerned about the video editing, per se (I have references ), but more concerned with formatting and shrinking to fit the online site limitations. Guarantee you will hear from me if I run into a "snag"!

I'll keep you posted!!

BTW -
    Been jammin' out with the Mannheim Steamroller Christmas shows I just bought from First Light Laser. VERY cool and for a NICE price!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Most sites will tell you what formats, length and size they allow you to upload. Youtube is by far the most popular but they also have the most limitations. They all generally accept a large assortment of formats to make it user friendly. Also, all video editing software will have compression that you can usually set to a specific number.

Hey Stuka
    I just posted a video to YouTube yesterday using the same brand camera (JVC Everio GZ-MG330)

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=SgFBV3zDta0

It of one of the Trance and Acid show that comes with Mamba Black.

I did it the Stanwax way of capturing the laser show from multiple angles, I then used Magix Movie Editor Pro (You can download a 14 trial and extend it to a 30 day trial) to cut up the three capture movies and remove the parts I didn’t want, I then added the audio track from the show.

Once the show has been compiled I then exported it to a WMV file and upload to YouTube.

The file itself exceeded 500MB and YouTube didn’t have a problem with it, Youtube will allow up to 1Gig files to be uploaded.

The video export is rather large as I kept it at high resolution at 240x320 using WMV, using AVI brought it down to 100MB but introduce Codec issues.

BTW, this is the first movie I have ever edited (apart from cutting the start and end of a video)

Troy
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Cool!
    Thanks for posting!!
    RR

Sweet.....

Youtube actually even has support for 720p HD content now. Remember the &fmt=18 "hack"? Well, that's old now... Say hello to &fmt=22.

Sure, 480x360 H.264 (fmt=18) was a lot better than the old 320x240 sorenson that youtube used, but compared to 720p it's still rather bad.

Here's the full how to:
    http://www.webmonkey.com/blog/How_To..._720p_HD_Glory