Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 635nm vs 650nm

Default 635nm vs 650nm

firstly im wondering what people think is the best. then im wondering what the real difference is? how i understand it is the 650nm is a darker red so its not as visible but why do people still want to use it if it isnt going to show up as easily. i know the price is one thing but you could just get a diode with half the power and it would be around the same price.
    just bored at home and its got me thinking

ollie
    2 x 10w full colour laser systems
    2 x 4w full colour laser systems
    2 x 3w full colour laser systems
    1 450mw pinkem rgb 30k scanner
    2 x 1 watt green laser
    4 x 1 watt blue 445nm laser systems
    3 watt rgb .

People use 650nm instead of 635nm because 650 is cheaper.

-Adam

well thats mostly true.. I plan to use both.. im going to add like 35mW of 635 to my 450+mW of 650, just to make it POP
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

The 650nm being a deeper red will shift the palette noticably and some people prefer the deeper shades that 650nm powered palette produces compared to the lighter spectrum of the 635nm.
    Sure you need more 650 compared to 635, but 650 is cheaper...

The 642nm SM diodes are the way forward for tight bright red beams if you can justify the spend of the available modules on the market, or have the facilities to make your own.

Tight
    Bright
    Cheap

Pick any 2 of the three

Quote Originally Posted by p1t8ull View Post
    The 650nm being a deeper red will shift the palette noticably and some people prefer the deeper shades that 650nm powered palette produces compared to the lighter spectrum of the 635nm.
    Sure you need more 650 compared to 635, but 650 is cheaper...

The 642nm SM diodes are the way forward for tight bright red beams if you can justify the spend of the available modules on the market, or have the facilities to make your own.

Tight
    Bright
    Cheap

Pick any 2 of the three
    Wot he said!

However I think its down to personal preference as well...
    ....a red scanner on its own I like a 635, but putting green 532 and a red I go for a 650 the oranges and yellows are so much more sexy! IMO
    Move toward the light!

Im in there with the boys who like the colours of 650 (or beyond). You get nicer oranges yellows and magentas with a deeper red - but some like the orangey red of 635....
    its presonal.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

I wish Bridge or some other manufacturer would take some pics of the different shades of each colour laser lined up next to each other on a bench as it would make colour choices so much easier to be able to see the difference.

eg. 635 vs 650 vs 670, 445 vs 470, 526 vs 532

The problem with that is capturing the red effectively. Often 2 distinct reds look very similar in a picure. I have the same problem capturing images of my 556nm Yellow DPSS - the camera sees it as green and if you take a pic of it next to 532 and you really cant tell the difference in the image

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

DZ has a great picture of 635 and 660 side by side..

IMO, the brighter the better for beams, deeper is better for graphics
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Photo below is 200mW of 660nm and 635nm. At FLEM, we figured that it's about a 4.5-5 to 1 ratio. So 200mW of 635 appears about as bright as 900mW to 1W of 660nm.