Thread: midi

Default midi

hiya
    im planning on buying a lighting board (like a behringer eurolight) for thev midi feature to use with live pro. is this a good idea or is a touch screen a better way to go. im planning on building a cabinet to hold a 19" lighting desk and 2 touch screens on upright arms. im going to be using the desk for either live pro or a program called magic q which is my dmx lighting control software. one screen is for live pro (lasers) and one for magic q (dmx lighting)

dont know alot about midi and how it works so any help with this would be great such as what actally midi helps me acheive. i guess it allows me to use the faders to access different colous and so on but not really sure
    ill be using 2 seperate pcs running each program and monitor individually. is there a way of utilising the board for both programs?

please help a noob with midi

thanks alot ollie

2 x 10w full colour laser systems
    2 x 4w full colour laser systems
    2 x 3w full colour laser systems
    1 450mw pinkem rgb 30k scanner
    2 x 1 watt green laser
    4 x 1 watt blue 445nm laser systems
    3 watt rgb .

Hey Ollie!

Using MIDI with LivePRO, you would basically use a MIDI controller to control many of the functions that would otherwise require mouse clicks and computer keyboard presses - the idea is that a MIDI controller would be a bit more intuitive during live performances than a mouse and keyboard!

A lot of folks (myself included - but still in the box, unfortunately! ) have purchased touchscreen monitors specifically to use with LivePRO, since it allows you to rapidly select cues on-the-fly. Some have added both touchscreen monitors AND MIDI controllers for a LivePRO command center setup!

I think most folks who have purchased the touchscreen monitors would recommend that as your first "LivePRO accessory" if you can find one at a price you can live with (search ELO touchscreen monitors on E-bay - there are some good prices out there!). If you need to add dials and sliders later, you can add a MIDI controller at any time, and can find some fairly cheap!

As far as MIDI and DMX -

The controllers may have similar functions, but they speak very different languages - MIDI for musical instruments, DMX for lighting systems. If you want to use a MIDI controller with your DMX software, that will have to be a capability built into the software. Check the users manual for the software you plan on using and see if it supports MIDI input.

Good luck with your project!
    Last edited by Stuka; 02-09-2009 at 17:59.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Hi Ollie

The two MIDI controllers that are generally used with LivePRO are the Novation SL Remote Zero or the Behringer BCF2000. I have used both and slightly prefer the Behringer, but that is really down to personal preference.

As Randy said, I would certainly consider the first essential accessory for LivePRO is a decent touchscreen monitor for quickly selecting and changing cues. The MIDI controller allows you to add all the bells and whistles, and whilst they're really useful I wouldn't consider them an absolutely essential bit of kit, especially if you're on a limited budget.

If you're coming to the UKLEM you'll get an opportunity to see (and have a play with) plenty of touchscreens and MIDI controllers

Cheers

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Default re

thanks guys

well im going to be buying 2 touch screens for £95 each and a bcf 2000 i think (thanks to jems advice) i will use the bcf and one of the touch screens for magic q and a touch screen for livepro.

im still wondering if it is possible to have some kind of switch over device so i can use the midi controller for live pro when using the lasers then switch back to magic q and use the desk and touch screen for magic q.

as i usually black all the lights out whilst using my lasers (for better effect) i would not need to use the board for magic q so then would be great if i could use it with live pro. this saves me having to buy two bcf2000 and using one dedicated to magic q and one dedicated to live pro

just a though and i dont know if its even possible but would be great if it was

cheers ollie
    2 x 10w full colour laser systems
    2 x 4w full colour laser systems
    2 x 3w full colour laser systems
    1 450mw pinkem rgb 30k scanner
    2 x 1 watt green laser
    4 x 1 watt blue 445nm laser systems
    3 watt rgb .

It wouldn't be cheap; however -

With a Pangolin LD2000 system and that version of LivePRO (which supports DMX), you could control everything with the same hardware and software you use to control the lasers!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....