Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 250mw 473nm

Default 250mw 473nm

what does everyone think a nice balance is for an rgb if i have 250mw of 473nm. i was planning on 300mw green and tune it back to get a nice white and then 450mw red 635nm. just wondering what everyone thought cause i know people have different ideas. marc and i discussed powers and think this is a good match for a 1 watt system but just wondering what everyone else thinks

cheers

ollie
    2 x 10w full colour laser systems
    2 x 4w full colour laser systems
    2 x 3w full colour laser systems
    1 450mw pinkem rgb 30k scanner
    2 x 1 watt green laser
    4 x 1 watt blue 445nm laser systems
    3 watt rgb .

Thumbs up

That should do well. You may not have to dial the green back too much depending on where you place it in the "line up". Might want to go a lil higher on the red. 250 of blue should do you nice.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Default re

do u think? i thought that it would look about as bright as a 900mw 650nm and that sounds like plenty

am i wrong in thinking this?

ollie
    2 x 10w full colour laser systems
    2 x 4w full colour laser systems
    2 x 3w full colour laser systems
    1 450mw pinkem rgb 30k scanner
    2 x 1 watt green laser
    4 x 1 watt blue 445nm laser systems
    3 watt rgb .

Cool

I think you'll have excess red. Not that having extra red is bad, mind you. But you'll have more red than you need.

DZ's projector also has 635 nm red, and I've compared his white to mine. It's a very good white. He's running either 200 mw or 250 mw of red (I think it's 200, but not positive), and 150 mw of blue.

You will have 250 mw of blue, which is 2/3 more blue than DZ has. Thus you'd need 2/3 more red to keep the same color balance. That works out to 330 - 415 mw of red (depending on whether he's running 200 or 250).

So 450 is certainly going to leave you with extra. And if I'm right and DZ is only running 200 mw of red in his unit, then you could get by with a 350 mw unit in your rig. (Or a 400 mw unit even.)

The selections you have made will not be perfect, but they won't be bad at all. So long as you have analog modulation, you can dial back the red to get your perfect white. You're certainly in the ball park.

If it were me, I'd probably drop back to a 400 mw red and call it a day.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Thanks! Last measured, its 240mW of 635, 190mW of 532 and 160mW of 473. With all three lasers on full, it give a nice white after the optics,
    its 240mw of 635

I think it sounds like a very good balance in theory. Using 250mW of green you will get a nice white, but it's probably not a bad idea to get 300mW instead, because of the poor modulation of DPSS lasers.

You are fairly correct in stating that 450mW of 635 is equivalent to 900mW of 650, but 650s are usually closer to 660 and at for example 658 you need about 1.3W to match that 635.

hey all...

i am in the process (hopefully i can get some extra time to finish it) to set up a little experiment here...

i think the concept of "White balance" is getting WAAAAAAAAAY over exaggerated and over emphasized in our lil PL community here.

i have made projectors (and by NO MEANS am i some arctos or super pro manufacturer, but i think i do ok...) for nightclubs and not ONE of those projectors had a "theoretical" or "Proper" white balance to it.

my most beautiful, awe-inspiring projector i ever made was actually for a sound and lighting install company that sold the system to a nightclub in Dubai.

this was a GRAPHICS ONLY laser system and the colors, "WHITE BALANCE" and mixing was ABSOLUTELY OFF THE CHARTS!!!

the specs-

1W 635
    500mw 532
    300mw 473

these numbers are "Theoretically" NO WHERES near "Proper white" but let me tell you...the beam was PURE PEARL WHITE!!!

i think of course there is some sort of a guide we should go by. but it just seems like we concentrate WAAAY too much on "Proper" white when in reality, it means VEEERY little!!

NOBODY....and i mean NOBODY will EVER complain about a laser system or show if it looks a little "red heavy" or a little "green heavy." or if a WHITE isnt 110% EXACTLY perfectly, blindingly white.

but i GUARANTEE you...people will ALWAYS complain if their laser system or the show they just saw wasnt bright enough.

the point of my little experiment if i can get it done is different combinations of lasers and to see if it it can be identified as to which the "proper" white balance system is. i bet you ALL would be VEEERY surprised as to the results!

**DISCLAIMER**

I KNOW people are going to have some issues with the above statements. and PLEASE REALIZE i AM NOT saying, IM RIGHT....YOURE WRONG. im just saying, in the "real world" and at "show time" 99.99% of the concerns that are presented here quite often regarding "white balance" are NEVER an issue!!!

the "white balance" paradigm with perfect numbers matching ratios is GREAT on paper. thats it.

thats all. love ya all...power to the people....l'chaim....joy to the world....may the force be with you...happy harry hard on. (remember that movie! GREAT MOVIE!)

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

I still believe Hugo has had one of the best white balances I've ever seen but as Tocket pointed out in the white thread we had on here, this might have been as much about the sheer luminosity from the power levels has was running as the actual balance.

Here's the pic again - both red and white look gorgeous to me:

Hi Ollie

I have a LW 250mW 473nm laser in my RGB projector, the Power/Colour ratios that I’m using are:
    250mW @ 473nm (Blue) Laserwave
    200mW @ 532nm (Green) Laserwave
    400mW @ 635nm (Red) Laserwave

Configuration is blue at the front followed by the green then followed by the red

And it produces this

RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    this was a GRAPHICS ONLY laser system and the colors, "WHITE BALANCE" and mixing was ABSOLUTELY OFF THE CHARTS!!!

the specs-

1W 635
    500mw 532
    300mw 473

these numbers are "Theoretically" NO WHERES near "Proper white" but let me tell you...the beam was PURE PEARL WHITE!!!

NOBODY....and i mean NOBODY will EVER complain about a laser system or show if it looks a little "red heavy" or a little "green heavy." or if a WHITE isnt 110% EXACTLY perfectly, blindingly white.
    What charts? You made a close match to standard illuminant A with that distribution. That is the white produced by incandescent lights. Having recently played with my 11x 1W LED setup a bit I find that extremely little blue is required to simulate it, but also quite a lot of green. It is a nice white for cozy lighting; far more pleasant than daylight white.

Regarding "nobody will ever complain" I am actually complaining about Laserimage's 15W Jenlas white. I thought it was supposed to have a perfect white, but having seen it in real life I was quite dissappointed. It had this odd reddish white; nothing that could ever come from a Planckian radiator, which just makes it look strange. It might just have been that I had high expectations though.

Oh, never trust pictures to show laser colors accurately. Only trust your eyes.