Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switch between stand alone & ilda

Default Switch between stand alone & ilda

Is there a way I can easily switch between stand alone mode and ILDA mode on a scanner kit?

I have seen pre built ones about with the ability to switch between and its perfect for what I need.
    DL - Viper 75mW - Green (532nm)
    DL - 50mW Module - Green (532nm)
    DIY - 50mW - 12k Scanner - Green (532nm)

a little bit more information -

i have sent lambo some laserpic 10k scanners with a DMX.

at the flick of a switch he wants to be able to switch from the dmx to an ilda input.

is there a simple board that does this?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

That would be a function of the controller card.

Some scanners come with a DMX-only controller cards that have stand alone capability using a few built-in patterns. I know the Pangolin FB3 has a stand-alone capability that can access every cue stored on its memory card (400+ cues!). There may be other controller cards that I'm not familiar with that have similar capabilities ...

Switching to ILDA input on the FB3 basically just involves plugging it in to a USB port on your computer and starting the software. USB/computer input takes precedence over DMX. If no controller is plugged into the FB3, and the cues were saved to memory as linked, autoplay cues, the FB3 starts cycling through cues automatically as soon as it is powered up.
    Last edited by Stuka; 12-10-2008 at 11:48.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

ok helpful but not what hes looking for.

is there some kind of break out board and can switch between two different 25pin parallal connectors?
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Ok the plan is to be able to make use of both DMX and ILDA when needed. If I need to use ILDA and create what I need I can leave a computer connected. When I don't need to use the ILDA and just need something that I can set to stand alone and leave it going as a small party or something all I have to do is flick a switch.

From what I read I can only have one or the other, I need both.
    DL - Viper 75mW - Green (532nm)
    DL - 50mW Module - Green (532nm)
    DIY - 50mW - 12k Scanner - Green (532nm)

Well, it takes a whole lot less time to disconnect a USB plug from either the computer or FB3 than it did for me to write about it!

The FB3 gives you the choice of either USB / computer, DMX, or standalone, based merely on what is connected to it at the time.

The ILDA connectivity is the connection standard that exists between the controller card and the projector connections to the scanners, shutter, and lasers.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

not if you cant afford an fb3!!!
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

So, if I'm reading correctly, the DMX card you want to use is a completely separate card from the one you would use for computer control of your projector, and you want to switch between the two controller cards?

How about a computer AB switch designed for switching between multiple DB-25 serial connections? (formerly pretty common for switching between multiple printers and other DB-25 peripherals before USB took over!) Depending on the hardware available, you might have to use "gender changer" adapter plugs if you use something like this.

As far as stand-alone capability, that's still going to be a function of the controller card you use, as I addressed earlier.
    RR

Sweet.....

Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I'll have to take a glance later -

my Uncle Sam Internet connection doesn't allow E-bay....
    RR

Sweet.....