Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It Lives!!

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Whoa - I had NO IDEA you could jump-start laser!!
    just as long as you dont do that to a diode.....

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    just as long as you dont do that to a diode.....

Steve

Hmm..... looks around for a spare diode*

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...28698550&hl=en

A little tough to see after google processed the video, but it lases!

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Hmm..... looks around for a spare diode*
    Call me....got a few here.......LOL Nice going! I would love a whitelight tube...even a small one ...say 1/2 watt that would run on 120VAC.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...28698550&hl=en

A little tough to see after google processed the video, but it lases!

I have the same tesla coil you have for starting argons and checking gas filled tubes. I once tried to fry a laptop with it and could not do it! I ran that coil across the motherboard for at least 5 minutes and it still worked perfectly.

I guess the "skin effect" applies to ESD sensitive devices as well.

Yes, it's the 250M model, which I believe is 250mW. Hey, are you the guy that got one of these on ebay for $50?!?!

I tried using canned air in this one, but this thing had funky night club dust in it. I had to charge up my compressor in my garage to get most of this gunk out.

This thing still has a starter problem, but I think I know what the issue is now and should be able to fix that as well.

No problem! I have another video up on google of me sparking a 60X back to life. That one you can see the tube trying to light, but is unable to, until I start sparking it. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...95638733&hl=en
    Yup!!! Thats me!!! I scored the unit for 50 bucks SHIPPED!!

Do you have any idea on what the tube voltages are? (does this thing run on 115vac?)

Steve,
    Will I have any problems running one of these tubes with either a cyonics/uniphase or JDSU power supply that runs on 115VAC?

Quote Originally Posted by RGBLaserFan View Post
    I tell you what I use for getting dust out of my pc coolers - compressed air - thats compressor air, not the compressed air canned stuff.

Have to be a bit careful as it comes out at very high pressure from the blow gun, enough to force the skin to the far side of your hand and I'm guessing probably about 90 PSI, but boy does it shift the dust in a few secs. I cleaned my entire pc inside in about 30 secs the other day including the finned processor heatsink.

Highly recommended if used with care and from suitable distance.
    The other thing to consider is condensation from high pressure gasses releasing like that.

I have mentioned in other posts that I brew beer, I keg mine so I always have a hefty amount of CO2 handy. Usually I just open the valve to clean my computer. In about 3 second blasts I can get even the most stubborn filth off of my computer. It can even remove labels if you blast it hard enough. Look out for chipped paint too, it'll get right under that and start taking that off too!

But with high pressure 2500psi gasses condensation becomes much more of an issue, sometimes if your not careful or have a siphon tube on your CO2 tank you could end up with some nice dry ice on your equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
    I have the same tesla coil you have for starting argons and checking gas filled tubes. I once tried to fry a laptop with it and could not do it! I ran that coil across the motherboard for at least 5 minutes and it still worked perfectly.

I guess the "skin effect" applies to ESD sensitive devices as well.
    I'm guessing you just got lucky- remember that those parts conduct at well over 1 GHz... I've seen PC motherboards completely fried by static zaps you couldn't even *see*.

Smile

I think I recognize that diode, David... Is it one of the ones I gave to you at FLEM?

Gotta admit that I never would have guessed that sparking a diode with a tesla coil would make it lase though!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    I think I recognize that diode, David... Is it one of the ones I gave to you at FLEM?

Gotta admit that I never would have guessed that sparking a diode with a tesla coil would make it lase though!

Adam
    Whoops! Sorry Adam! I just had to try and those were the only two I could find right off hand! I'll have to see if they still work....