Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It Lives!!

Default It Lives!!

Ok, someone at SELEM handed me an old Laser Physics Reliant that came out of a night club, I think. The head was filthy. The path for the airflow was completely clogged. Took a good hour to get all the dust out of the thing. I really thought the tube would be cooked and probably wouldn't sustain discharge. So it kinda sat on the shelf while I got busy with other things (ILDA breakout, color delay, etc.). Welp, today, I was sitting around with nothing much else better to do, so I said what the hell, I'll give it a shot. To my amazement, this thing works great! 7 lines with a nice bright cyan and green line! Here is a pic of how bad the dust was, this was actually after I cleaned alot of it out! Getting the dust out of the clogged vents was a hassle! The last pic is of it actually working again. And here is a video link to me getting it started: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...41020898&hl=en
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bad_dust.JPG  

DSC09041.JPG  

Thats mine thats mine thats mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW!!!
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Nice!! I would have put money on it being toast. Looks like it was rescued just in time. What kind of output does it have?

I tell you what I use for getting dust out of my pc coolers - compressed air - thats compressor air, not the compressed air canned stuff.

Have to be a bit careful as it comes out at very high pressure from the blow gun, enough to force the skin to the far side of your hand and I'm guessing probably about 90 PSI, but boy does it shift the dust in a few secs. I cleaned my entire pc inside in about 30 secs the other day including the finned processor heatsink.

Highly recommended if used with care and from suitable distance.

Smile

There was a lot of dust in there! Glad to see that you have it all out, thanks for sharing the video.

Is this the 250mW model??

I have one that looks IDENTICAL to that one that is coming in the mail... should be here this week. Supposedly the PSU is toast but the tube still lases. I'm going to hook it up to one of my JDSU or cyonics PSU's and see what I can get out of her.

The one I'm getting is a 'reliant 250M'... does that mean that it should do 250mW or is that a 'max power' figure like the uniphase tubes have? (even the 10mW models say ".5W MAX")

I just dont know much about these 'reliant' lasers, but the deal I got was too good to pass up

Thumbs up My HERO!

That was a nasty looking beast. Nice clean up job.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by GooeyGus View Post
    Is this the 250mW model??

I have one that looks IDENTICAL to that one that is coming in the mail... should be here this week. Supposedly the PSU is toast but the tube still lases. I'm going to hook it up to one of my JDSU or cyonics PSU's and see what I can get out of her.

The one I'm getting is a 'reliant 250M'... does that mean that it should do 250mW or is that a 'max power' figure like the uniphase tubes have? (even the 10mW models say ".5W MAX")

I just dont know much about these 'reliant' lasers, but the deal I got was too good to pass up
    Yes, it's the 250M model, which I believe is 250mW. Hey, are you the guy that got one of these on ebay for $50?!?!

I tried using canned air in this one, but this thing had funky night club dust in it. I had to charge up my compressor in my garage to get most of this gunk out.

This thing still has a starter problem, but I think I know what the issue is now and should be able to fix that as well.

There was a lot of dust in there! Glad to see that you have it all out, thanks for sharing the video.
    No problem! I have another video up on google of me sparking a 60X back to life. That one you can see the tube trying to light, but is unable to, until I start sparking it. http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...95638733&hl=en

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

its 250 mW at max power, ie for a hour for a show it doesn't take much life off it, but for day to day operations, derate it.

They shipped at 270-290 mW.

The show versions had a input so that when you were not doing beam effects or graphics, ie closed shutter or low graphics power, it backed off to idle.

ie its not 250 mW for the full year of warrenty service.

I have a 250 tube and a 250B, which is green lines supressed for dental curing.

8 amps might be nice tradeoff.

Usually the limits on reliant psus are set pretty high, you might want to back it off.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    And here is a video link to me getting it started: http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...41020898&hl=en
    Whoa - I had NO IDEA you could jump-start a laser!!
    Last edited by Stuka; 12-08-2008 at 16:36.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....