Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sweet new way to cut glass

Default I own a few of these lasers

They employ a water cooled 19 emitter bar laser that points in the opposite direction of the laser output.

The diode has a fast axis correction lens glued to it, then passes through a pedestal mounted lens it then hits a large prism, which changes the lasers direction 180 degrees and it passes back over the top of the diode and optics and then passes through two very large cylindrical lens, and finally an output window.

This guys have a highly restricted water flow and many accidentally try to provide 20-80psi water leading to instant demise of the laser.

This module produces a long stripe not a focused point and was supposedly used for scanning applications.

Cyril Labeste of France is a cool guy and a ebay his id is cyrillium he will answer non inane questions about how hes has focused this lasers output to a spot.

THESE LASERS OR ANY 100'S OF MW TO 60 WATT LASER ARE DANGEROUS AS ALL HELL, HERES WHY

1) THESE WAVELENGTHS ARE ESENTIALLY INVISIBLE TO YOUR EYE THUS YOU DO NOT BLINK OR LOOK AWAY

2) WHAT APPEARS RED AND VISIBLE IS REALLY 10,000 TIME BRIGHTER THAT IT WOULD SEEM TO BE

3) GOGGLES OFFER NO REAL PROTECTION IF YOU AIM THIS AT A NON REFLECTIVE SURFACE JUST THE SPECULAR REFLECTION THROUGH A REALLY GOOD SET OF GOGGLES THAT ARE OPTICAL DENSITY 12-14 IS STILL GOING TO BE TENS TO 100'S OF TIMES WHAT IS REQUIRED TO BURN YOUR EYES SURFACE AND OR RETINAS

4) YOUR EYES ARE GREAT MAGNIFIERS ND CAN FOCUS THIS INFRARED ONTO YOUR RETINA TO MAKE A DIFFUSE REFLECTION INTO SOMETHING VERY DANGEROUS

5) IF YOU PLAY WITH FIRE YOU WILL EVENTUALLY GET BURNED THIS TYPE DAMGE CAN TAKE 7-45 Days to fully show itself!

6) NEVER EVER EVER EVER FUCKING LOOK AT THE INDIRECT YES INDIRECT SPOT OF ONE OF THESE LASERS IT IS SO MUCH MORE POWERFULL THAN YOU MIGHT IMAGINE

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    he's lucky back reflection doesnt kill the diode.
    He really should do that with co2 or qswitched yag, a lot cleaner cut.

Steve
    clicking on my avatar will show the tricolor photocoagulator resonator cavity from a Lumenis Varia eye surgery medical laser, which i am attempting to refit. It originally was designed to produce 50-1500mw of 532 / 50-600mw of 659nm / 50-600mw of 561nm (Yellow)
    Clicking on my Avatar will show a picture of the inside of this cavity with a 1cm bar diode in the first of 3 OEM postions & KTP holder.
    Caviar Dreams on pennies, well lots of pennies.

Thumbs up

Thanks Dave!

I have tried this with the raw output from my Synrad 48-1 16W CO2. It has a much "safer" wavelenght of 10600nm and can still vaporize glass. I tried to heat the glass along a line, it just snaps off along when it cools. This localized heating/cooling technique is apparently used to cut the glass in LCD-monitors.
    It works with with beerbottles and window-glass too.

I haven't really understood people that just use lasers for "burning stuff", it's fun for about 5 minutes when you first get the laser. I'm planning to use my laser in a small CNC-machine some day, it can propably do some nice work when I get a focusing assembly ready!

Quote Originally Posted by frank_1257 View Post
    They employ a water cooled 19 emitter bar laser that points in the opposite direction of the laser output.

The diode has a fast axis correction lens glued to it, then passes through a pedestal mounted lens it then hits a large prism, which changes the lasers direction 180 degrees and it passes back over the top of the diode and optics and then passes through two very large cylindrical lens, and finally an output window.

This guys have a highly restricted water flow and many accidentally try to provide 20-80psi water leading to instant demise of the laser.

This module produces a long stripe not a focused point and was supposedly used for scanning applications.

Cyril Labeste of France is a cool guy and a ebay his id is cyrillium he will answer non inane questions about how hes has focused this lasers output to a spot.

3) GOGGLES OFFER NO REAL PROTECTION IF YOU AIM THIS AT A NON REFLECTIVE SURFACE JUST THE SPECULAR REFLECTION THROUGH A REALLY GOOD SET OF GOGGLES THAT ARE OPTICAL DENSITY 12-14 IS STILL GOING TO BE TENS TO 100'S OF TIMES WHAT IS REQUIRED TO BURN YOUR EYES SURFACE AND OR RETINAS

Thanks for the information on the diode package as I've been looking at buying one in the near future - but what you're saying about OD and output power isn't making sense from the formulas for calculating optical density.

To find the OD I need to bring 60,000mW down to class IIIa levels (5mw) I'd need a power reduction factor of 12,000 - so that makes the OD (a logarithmic function) rating i need 4.079

Yes, you got that correct, OD is the tenth log of the light. The next thing to worry about is the fact that with that much power, the glasses will start to melt.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    Yes, you got that correct, OD is the tenth log of the light. The next thing to worry about is the fact that with that much power, the glasses will start to melt.
    heh yeah, but I hope at that point I'd be able to duck out of the way before the goggles fail (it would take a pretty serious reflection of a collimated beam to melt the goggles in any decent timeframe

TYhose diode bars can onlu cut IR filter glass or glass with a greenish tint from iron in it, a CO2 laser does a great job of cutting glass btw sinceit's not picky, any glass will do...

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

To find the OD I need to bring 60,000mW down to class IIIa levels (5mw) I'd need a power reduction factor of 12,000 - so that makes the OD (a logarithmic function) rating i need 4.079[/QUOTE]

your low, you want a 6 in the IR

Steve

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

the guy is lucky a blast of reflected IR didn't kill his camera. I have seen a 10 mW hene pop CCD pixels.

Steve

OD 5 or 6 is plenty for those 60W coherent diodes. It's pulsed q-switched stuff that scares me from the oops reflect fry your eyes out standpoint!