Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend me a DAC and some software

I think it really depens on wat ou want to do with it.

If its for hobby use and you dont want to use more than 100mW in total power you could go for a soundcard DAC.

If you want higher power laser you must consider better hardware like Easylase or FB3, both dac's got frame buffers to prevent static beams in case the software crashes.

If you are planning to go professional the QM.net is the way to go.

I used to have easylase with Mamba and Phoenix.

Now I have QM.nets with Livepro.

The first step cost me allot of waste money, so carfully overthink your choiche or you will pay double for hardware like me.

I guess I should include a bit more info in my post as far as my plans for the project.

I'm aiming for about 500-600mW total power. I have 150mW 532nm, 110mW of 473 and 300mW of 650 (or 660... I'm not sure... it's the long open can diode). I might even end up throwing in 150mW of 405nm just to see how it effects the show.

My plan for this is mostly hobby, but I'm am trying to get into the professional realms. A family member of mine has a fairly popular band in the portland, OR area, and they've already said they would rent me and the projector for $200 per gig. I dont really know what other companies charge, but that sounded pretty good to me to hang out and play with lasers for a night! Obviously this means the projector is going to be built to FDA/CDRH/whatever other standards for a class IV scanner.

Once I get more money earned/saved I plan on adding more power to the projector. Like I said I'm starting around 500mW but in the span of a year or so I want to essentially double the power (and probably build another scanner with whatever lasers I have left over )

Lightbulb

You have the same hopes and plans I did and do... I was going to wait for the FB3/LA Freak package but... got the Intro kit after speaking with Bill. Give him a call and tell him your plans or shoot him an email; contact page on their site.

Another advantage to starting out with a Pangolin LD2000 is you will have a LOT of royalty-free shows at your disposal, and a large, supportive user base on the Pangolin forums and right here on PL. With the prices the way they are, the LD2000 intro really isn't going to cost that much more, and it will be able to play back ANY show created for ANY version of the LD2000 system. And, even the "intro" is considered a professional-level system, and includes all the features you would need to help meet CDRH certification.

The drawback (other than initial cost) is the QM2000 boards require an available PCI slot in a computer, or an external (extra cost) solution like the QM2000.net - which is GREAT, by the way, since you can move it between computers (including laptops) as you see fit.

If you decided to go with something like the FB3, you still have a VERY powerful and capable system, but probably won't find the same user support base as with the LD2000 systems. You CAN get LivePRO for the FB3, which is virtually the same kick-ass live performance software you can get for the LD2000 systems, just cheaper!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

So how much should I plan on spending for QM2000 basic??

Current price list is here:

http://www.pangolin.com/versions.html

Plus there's some upgrade specials on for the holidays:

http://www.pangolin.com/products/pri...-XMAS-2008.htm

Not cheap - but worth every penny if you plan on staying in for the long haul, AND you consider all the capabilities and thousands of dollars worth of content you get for free!

If you started out with the FB3, like I did, (which, again, is a VERY good controller with some VERY powerful software!) and decide to add a full LD2000 system later, you could still control the FB3 using the DMX capabilities of the two systems. Right now, other than triggering by DMX, the two products are NOT software compatible. However, at some point in the fairly near future, Pangolin should be releasing their BEYOND control suite which is supposed to be compatible with both systems.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....