Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Pango tips...

Default Looking for Pango tips...

OK, probably "noob" questions for those who have been using the Pangolin LD2000 apps for a while, but here goes anyway ...

(1.) I have been trying to add the audio tracks to some of the extra shows that are included with the LD2000 system but don't come with the audio files. I frequently run into a situation where the audio and show files don't quite match up, and in some cases are off by several seconds, even when using the specific recommended audio tracks.

Anyone willing to offer some tips on how to adjust either the audio or frame tracks to attempt to get the audio and show back in sync?

(2.) I have noticed that several of the shows for the LD2000 have several seconds (or longer) of "dead space" at the end of the show where no audio plays and / or no laser imagery is being generated. Is there a way to delete the "dead space" without adversely affecting the timing of the rest of the show?

Thanks for the noob-assist!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    (1.) I have been trying to add the audio tracks to some of the extra shows that are included with the LD2000 system but don't come with the audio files. I frequently run into a situation where the audio and show files don't quite match up, and in some cases are off by several seconds, even when using the specific recommended audio tracks.

Anyone willing to offer some tips on how to adjust either the audio or frame tracks to attempt to get the audio and show back in sync?
    Select all and move all frames/parts with your mouse?

Randy

On some of the shows it just isn't possible to get them to match up as the audio tracks have been edited by the shows producers (believe me i've tried ).

I was told this fact quite some time ago by someone who's name eludes me at the moment.

Wish I could be more helpful.

Jem
    Quote: "There is a theory which states that if ever, for any reason, anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”... Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Alos, often there are dozens of mixes of the same tune.

Believe me its nigh on impossible to get exactly the same mix. There are dozens of official mixes all slightly different lengths, then unofficial DJ's remix again (you can find a few of these on places such as Youtube), then as Jem says, there's always the chance the DJ or show producer remixed or edited a custom version for themselves.

A classic example of this is Paul Van Dyks "For and Angel" Live Edit. Its unreleased and it can be a slightly different tune everytime as he mixes it live on stage in Abbleton Live to suit his audience.

At Gatecrasher: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bgELH7...eature=related

On Radio One Planet Love 2007: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QWN-2B...eature=related

Sounds very similar until it breaks for the chorus in the centre - where the break is, its very different going in.

Gatecrasher one video generally sounds faster and richer but that could just be the awesome custom Opus sound system they had built from the ground up specially for the club.
    Last edited by White-Light; 05-31-2013 at 22:38.

Quote Originally Posted by RGBLaserFan View Post
    I've shot video at trance events then tried to match songs to it later when the audio was overwhelmed and destroyed. Believe me its nigh on impossible to get exactly the same mix.
    And deejays use the PITCH-FADER!

Hmmm - a bit frustrating, especially when using the audio track that is specifically mentioned in the show notes!!

The biggest problem seems to be with the shows where the audio track seems to be ahead of the frame tracks in timing. (Most recent example - the "Children" graphics / beam show. Bummer!) So, I guess the real question is, is there a way to shift the audio track to the right to sync everything, without having to edit the audio directly and insert blank space at the beginning of the audio file?
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

OK, probably "noob" questions for those who have been using the Pangolin LD2000 apps for a while, but here goes anyway ...

There are a couple ways to do this, it all depends on how the show/music isn't lining up. If the show leads the music, click on the "show" bullet (Show, Module, Scene), then left click and hold, drag the entire show to the right. This moves everything on the timeline, except the audio. You may have to do this a few times to get the timing perfect.

If the audio leads the show, I've found the easiest way to fix this, is load up the sound track in an editor software (I use Cool Edit Pro) and add a second or two of "silence" to the beginning of the audio file. Save it and load up the show and audio in Pangolin, then adjust the show on the timeline till its syncs. If nothing you do gets it to sync, let me know, I may have a fix for it.

(2.) I have noticed that several of the shows for the LD2000 have several seconds (or longer) of "dead space" at the end of the show where no audio plays and / or no laser imagery is being generated. Is there a way to delete the "dead space" without adversely affecting the timing of the rest of the show?

Thanks for the noob-assist!
    Hmm, I don't know if there is a way to change that. I know what you mean, there are a few shows like that. That may be a good question for Bill, I don't think I've ever looked into fixing that problem. May be something easy, I've just never tried! The length of the is set when you first start creating the show, if you change it after you've put stuff on the timeline, it moves everything.

Quote Originally Posted by JeroenVDV View Post
    And deejays use the PITCH-FADER!
    Yeah, Ableton Live goes much further though, you can completely remix a song on the fly - bit like Live Pro.

You can pull in extra beats, melodies, sounds, pitch changes, loops, create loops on the fly from within the track, skip inside the track or jump around in the track from start to chorus and back or anywhere inside any number of times completely live and on the fly and get perfect mixes without detectable joins, etc. You can tell it to analyse your entire record collection after which it stores the tempos to allow for instant matching with any track.

http://www.ableton.com/live-for-djs

Video on that page tells you more about it.

Hmmm - a bit frustrating, especially when using the audio track that is specifically mentioned in the show notes!!
    What they need to start doing is linking you to a download site with that exact mix available and naming the track / mix and length. The former is more reliable but the latter is more flexible as it allows you to choose where to download from. A combination of both would be best as then you could try your favourite store but revert top their source if it didn't match.
    Last edited by White-Light; 12-11-2008 at 06:18.

Quote Originally Posted by RGBLaserFan View Post

What they need to start doing is linking you to a download site with that exact mix available and naming the track / mix and length. The former is more reliable but the latter is more flexible as it allows you to choose where to download from. A combination of both would be best as then you could try your favourite store but revert top their source if it didn't match.
    That would be nice, since the ripped / downloaded (legal!) versions of the recommended tracks don't always match.

But then again - we're getting a LOT of shows for FREE from 3rd parties, so this isn't really meant as a complaint - just an observation and "how to" inquiry...
    RR

Sweet.....

Cool

Most shows have a text file in the folder that tell you the specific mix that the show is designed to be played with. Having said that, there are a few shows that use custom-edited audio that you can't find on I-tunes. (For example, the "Music" graphics show has a section near the end where the DJ drags his hand on the turntable to create a flange effect. That's not in any of the versions of the song that Madonna released. I know, because I've purchased a half-dozen of them already!)

There was rumor of a disc (ahem) that was secretly passed around at SELEM that had a lot of hard-to-find music on it. Of course, I never saw any of this, as it would constitute copyright infringement. Nudge, nudge, wink wink...

Adam