Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Remote Control Madness

Quote Originally Posted by SilentShaddow View Post
    I live in the UK, and I am more than happy its that way round. I have never seen a gun outside of shooting range (tightly controlled) and in all honestly I don't ever want to. Im still suprised and often shocked when I see a policeman with a gun especially in airports when they have those huge things. I will never live in america so long as there are gun nutters 'totting' there right to have 'fire arms'. America can take its free will and shove it somewhere unsightly. I don't care if its some gun slinging ranch owner in texas running round with a shotgun or some 'brother' in the hood with a 9mm. I'm going to be staying at arms length from that continent a long time.

Pulling my post back towards some relevent to lasers; If there is a situation where somebody is being dangerous with lasers then there is the opporunity to leave, vote with your feet if you like. If your worried about being blinded at a gig then dont go to gigs in football stadiums. Even on a very basic level of somebody has a laser point and is being a t$%t then there is still a very real fundemental element of choice. I dont see the same element if some 'pops a cap in my ass' for walking in the wrong part of town.

/brain fart

Now now, calm down sunshine.
    Stereotyping like that will NOT win you many friends here on PL. Whilst everyone is indeed entitled to their own opinion comments like “America can take its free will and shove it somewhere unsightly” can be construed are slightly offensive and a little bit immature.
    I was over in New York this year and last year toured California & Nevada in probably the best holiday I’ve ever had.
    Not once did anyone threaten to ‘pop a cap in my ass’. In fact, everyone (and I mean everyone) we spoke to were very friendly.
    I’m guessing that you have never been to the U.S.

FYI. Not quite sure where you got “right to have 'fire arms” from. It’s actually “the right to keep and bear arms” which I believe is part of the United States Constitution
    Last edited by RGbee; 12-16-2008 at 04:10.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentShaddow View Post
    I live in the UK, and I am more than happy its that way round. I have never seen a gun outside of shooting range (tightly controlled) and in all honestly I don't ever want to. Im still suprised and often shocked when I see a policeman with a gun especially in airports when they have those huge things. I will never live in america so long as there are gun nutters 'totting' there right to have 'fire arms'. America can take its free will and shove it somewhere unsightly. I don't care if its some gun slinging ranch owner in texas running round with a shotgun or some 'brother' in the hood with a 9mm. I'm going to be staying at arms length from that continent a long time.

Pulling my post back towards some relevent to lasers; If there is a situation where somebody is being dangerous with lasers then there is the opporunity to leave, vote with your feet if you like. If your worried about being blinded at a gig then dont go to gigs in football stadiums. Even on a very basic level of somebody has a laser point and is being a t$%t then there is still a very real fundemental element of choice. I dont see the same element if some 'pops a cap in my ass' for walking in the wrong part of town.

/brain fart
    I dont know what you're worrying about. USA is no problem at all. If you wanna get scared, I suggest you visit Johannesburg.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by QUAZAR View Post
    .... If you wanna get scared, I suggest you visit Johannesburg.
    Where, if you're not careful, you'll get "The Medicine!"

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

funny, I live in a area with the worst economy in the states and I go biking unarmed for 30 mile trips including about 5 in the inner city. I'm more scared of a few hungry bobcats roaming along the trail in the national reserve then being shot. Hint, out in the country where there are bullet holes in the street signs from kids playing around, you are the safest, cause they would repair your transmission for you if it dropped out, as part of being "right neighborly". I've gotten stalked by the cat walking the dog at night. Went back and took pics of the tracks. http://www.ohio.com/news/30832499.html

the problem is the city folks isolated by internet and texting, they live in their own little world. In the states, its easy to figure out where the bad neighborhoods are. Besides, if the locals were dumb enough to "cap" a foreigner , they would be hunted to the end of the earth. I've had known gang members help me repair broken bike tires to get me out of their hood, cause I'm not part of their business. I taught inner city school (they spell it skool, if they can spell) in a integrated school full of poor kids, they tend to direct their violence to each other, tribal style, and left adults out of it. Maybe its just me and I try to wear the "Breastplate of Christ, you know, back of the book, Romans something" And thus have little to fear.

That doesnt mean I'm dumb enough to go to Broadway and West 135th in Cleveland though. Or the barrio in LA.

Most places in the states, especially away from the larger cities, no problem. I know Canadians who have had people take the door off the building, at night, in a attempt to rob them, with sledgehammers and knives. That makes it a world problem.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 12-16-2008 at 09:18.

Quote Originally Posted by RGBLaserFan View Post
    In fairness though Audience Scanning is so tightly controlled it might as well be banned just as guns are so tightly controlled in the UK they might as well be as well.

In that regard, America is almost a mirror reflection of the UK:

US: Guns easy, Lasers Very Restricted to being almost banned

UK: Lasers Easy, Guns Very Restricted to being almost banned
    Hmm...

Maybe our people could talk to your people and get the "easy" part worked out - regulations and guidelines - sure, but no bans for anyone!

Nah, bad idea - we would probably wind up with everything banned for everybody!!

I'm sure "SilentShaddow" would feel much safer then...
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Guns in the UK.

It is right of all UK citezens to be able to own and use a shotgun, you just need to apply for a Shotgun Certificate, not a license, they cannot refuse you a certificate unless you have a criminal record and that depends what it is. You need one referee who can not be a friend.
    If the shotgun is not stored in the loftspace then it has to be in an approved shotgun cabinet. If it is in the loftspace it can be just a locable clamp.
    Shotgun shells can be stored anywhere but not with the shotgun, do not have to be locked away.
    Shooting a shotgun can be done at organised events and on private land with permission of the owner and as long as you are 50 feet away from any public access, footpath, roads etc., this is a bylaw that the firearms officers do not want you to know they tell you 50 yards. It can be used for shooting pidgeons on a farm as pest control with permission of the farmer.

Rifles you need to apply for a Class 1 Firearms license, this is actually easier than getting a shotgun certificate, you need two referees who can be friends and proff that you have land to shoot on. Again a criminal record would stop this.
    Rifles need to be stored in approved cabinets. Rounds have to be kept locked away seperatly and only a limited amount can be stored according to your license.
    Shooting can be done at ranges or again on private land, like a farm, for pest destruction such as foxes and rabbits.

Hand guns are a complete and utter no no unless it is a muzzle loaded black powder pistol/hand gun and over 150 years old and then can only be used at proper club and not a public place unless it as organised re-enactment of some battle at a public display.
    You would still need to apply for a Firearms license but it is not a Class 1 license.

Carrying any gun in public that is not held in some sort of case is illegal. What this means is I can with my shotguns walk down my high street with my shotgun in it's slip (cloth, zipped bag) and they can do nothing about it, the Police don't like it, but can't do anything about it. If I was to remove it from it's slip on the High Street I would get arrested. You must carry your Shotgun Certificate or Firearms License, which ever is applicable. If you get stopped by the Police and they ask to check what you have in the slip you can show them but they are not allowed to handle the gun unless they can prove they have a Shotgun Certificate or Firearms license, which ever is applicable.

I hope that helps understanding a bit more about the UK gun laws.

Onge
    350mW RGB, 180mW RGY Moving Head, 180mW RGY, 10mW Green, 5mw Green, 4x5mW Red
    Mamba Black 1.96 and MediaLas USB DAC, DMX SD DAC
    Just Floyd - The Pink Floyd Tribute

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Thats actually very reasonable, do you have city/county firearms laws on top of the national law?

What happens if you use one in self defense or in a case of breaking and entering?

in my state, I have to be cornered in my house and try to use no more then equal force, or the bad guy has to fire first from outside. Oddly I can defend a guest but I'm on shaky ground if I go help my neighbor.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    ...What happens if you use one in self defense or in a case of breaking and entering?
    Sadly the muppets that run this country would (and have) sued people for defending their own property and/or life with guns.
    Tony Martin is the most famous incident of this nature.

So remember kids, if you injure someone that's breaking into your property then it's better to kill 'em and hide the body to avoid all that red tape and paperwork !!

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    Sadly the muppets that run this country would (and have) sued people for defending their own property and/or life with guns.
    Tony Martin is the most famous incident of this nature.

So remember kids, if you injure someone that's breaking into your property then it's better to kill 'em and hide the body to avoid all that red tape and paperwork !!
    That sucks!
    Luckily, CRIMINAL home defense statutes are pretty much on the side of the homeowner, at least where I live. Unfortunately, these days just about ANYTHING will open you up for a civil suit, even if completely cleared of any criminal wrong-doing!

But, as many of us say -
    It's better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6...

P.S. -

Your "politically correct" seasonal AVATARS are OK -
    But I DO miss the old ones!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    ...Your "politically correct" seasonal AVATARS are OK -
    But I DO miss the old ones!!
    Easy Boy !!
    Last time we took a trip down Booby Boulevard I was accused of everything from driving female laserists away to the end of civilization as we know it.

But fear not.
    They shall return ...........

must ... resist ...urge .. to ...post ... booby .... avatar .........