Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Remote Control Madness

Silentshadow,

Quite a few UK members on here own or have owned guns.

None of us have killed anyone yet!

Fact is gun danger is treated as a witch hunt in the UK - nearly all gun crime in the UK involves illegal firearms yet for decades ever increasing restrictions have been put onto the legal community. I can't find official figures but the last time I saw out of 3,500 gun crimes for the year I looked at, only 6 involved legally held weapons!! Don't forget that out of those 6, some could involve crimes a simple as a breach of safe keeping requirements or a suicide on the part of the owner. Thus many of the 6 may not even truly represent what many would understand by a gun crime.

Yes its true there will always be someone who slips through any legal requirements and use legally held weapons to kill, but these instances hardly ever happen. I can think of 2 in the last 20-30 years in the UK. In Dunblane, the guy was so determined are we really to expect that he wouldn't have walked into a pub and got a handgun illegally and done exactly the same thing with an illegally held weapon if handguns hand not been available before the ban? Its hardly difficult to get hold of a gun illegally if you really want want. Nearly everyone knows of a friend of a friend who has dodgy contacts who could arrange it.

Its also interesting to note that the gun crimes involving hand guns have increased by 400% since the post Dunblane ban - official government figures for 2007: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2328368.ece.

Or to put it another way, you're now 4 times more likely to be shot by someone with a handgun than you were when they were legal, so obviously the ban has worked!

Bottom line is guns don't kill people, people do, and if they are determined enough, they will always find a way of getting a gun or of an alternative method of carrying out an equally deadly killing. The secret to good guns laws is suitability checks and good safekeeping requirements.

Its interesting to note that a lot of the US crimes that occur, eg school shootings do so as a result of a lack of safe keeping requirements rather than simple gun onwership. To put it simply, guns are stored around the house in drawers and bed side tables where disturbed teenagers can get access to them. In the UK, they're all in locked safes (or clamps) and only the certificate holder is allowed to have the key, which must be kept on them or in a safe to which only they have access.
    Last edited by White-Light; 12-16-2008 at 15:35.

In keeping with the theme of the thread, i.e., guns & helicopters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5Ev1...eature=related

RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

And you used to get paid for having this kind of fun !?!

No wonder you are suffering withdrawal symptoms.

Here in AU, BOTH are banned

Lasers DISPLAY's, arent all that regulated, luckily, but if you get caught in public with a laser pointer >1mw, theres $5,000 you aint gonna have to blow on lasers

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

That's cus we deported all our criminals over there years ago and you know they can't be trusted with shiny things.

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    And you used to get paid for having this kind of fun !?!

No wonder you are suffering withdrawal symptoms.
    50 cal, rockets, stinger missiles, hellfire missiles - yep!!

Unfortunately, I never got to use the mini gun on the bird I fly - those won't be fitted until early in '09, AFTER I retire.

Bummer....
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

stuka, what do you think of the lakota, is it just a cheap POS gapfiller or what?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    stuka, what do you think of the lakota, is it just a cheap POS gapfiller or what?

Steve
    It's no combat bird, that's for sure! It doesn't even have self-sealing fuel tanks, which is a necessity for combat aircraft!!

Basically, it's going to replace the ancient Hueys in non-combat units that don't really need the heft and expense of the Blackhawks.

Our sister unit in Tupelo, Miss. has a few of them, so we got some close-up looks. The Lakotas are basically "repainted" Eurocopter EC145's. VERY roomy inside, equipped for single-pilot IFR, clam-shell rear cargo door, etc. For stateside use, which is their only likely assignment, they'll be great for disaster relief, search & rescue, drug interdiction, etc.

I would actually like to fly them - as long as I wasn't likely to take rounds while doing so!
    RR

Sweet.....

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

assignment, they'll be great for disaster relief,

Winch? IR?

I find it ironic that the NG is getting ec-145s and the coasties are getting the jayhawks refitted for 50 cal and rockets, see a irony here?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    assignment, they'll be great for disaster relief,

Winch? IR?

I find it ironic that the NG is getting ec-145s and the coasties are getting the jayhawks refitted for 50 cal and rockets, see a irony here?

Steve
    Probably both options, and then some - the birds we saw were so new they didn't even have all their accessory kits yet! First time in my whole career I was around an aircraft so new that it actually looked, and SMELLED, like a new car inside! The ones I've been flying usually smell like sweat, ass, hydraulic fluid...

I'm with you on the toys the Coasties are getting - I'm sure that leads to some interesting funding "discussions" between the Army and Coast Guard brass!!
    RR

Sweet.....