Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Laser Screens

thnaks for clearing that up , very reasonably priced ..i would like to have inspected closer but Uk seems to ONLY do mail order on the Enje , no stores seem to keep them in stock ...never know i might splash out to experiment

Thanks for info

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Talking Fly screens

I went down to bunnings and asked a guy there if he had what you all decribed to me and he took me to the isle that had House fly screens and works great hehehe thanx all for your ideas fly screens cheep as chips

Last edited by keeperx; 12-31-2008 at 04:31.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodies?
    Solid State Builders Group

Smile Another recommendation for "no-see-um" netting for a rear-projection scrim.

The "no-see-um" netting from SKeeta.com is probably the most economical scrim material you're going to find. I have a (roghly) 9 ft square piece that cost me just $36 including the charges for sewing the seam and the shipping. Shipping to Europe will of course cost more, but the rates are still very reasonable. Also, the folks at Skeeta are quite pleasant to deal with, and will work with you if you have a custom order you need filled.

Also, the "slate grey" is the best color to use if you want the scrim to be nearly invisible. I ordered sample pieces (a bit larger than 1 square yard each) in Black and White to test those other colors, and both of them were more visible in both normal lighting and in dark room conditions than the slate grey was. (It's hard to believe, but the black is actually too dark, and thus it stands out like a black hole even in a dark room!)

I suppose this makes sense though, since most of the professional theatrical scrim I've seen (you know, the stuff that costs $25-$30 per square yard) is also grey in color.

One thing about size (as Soforene discussed above): If you order from Skeeta.com, know that the stuff comes in 54 inch widths, which is 1.5 yards or 1.37-something meters. Then you have to account for the overlap on the seam (assuming you order it wider than 54 inches) which is roughly 1/2 inch (1/4 inch on each piece). It's best to order this stuff in widths that are even multiples of 54 inches. You can always cut it later if you need to.

Also, if you want them to sew pockets in the top and bottom, know that you'll loose a bit more than the length of each pocket (plus the seam overlap) when you do this. Figure on loosing about a foot or so for a pair of 4-5 inch pockets on top and bottom. Normally this wouldn't be a big issue, as you're not going to be displaying images that close to the pockets anyway. But if you need an exact length, be sure to specify this in your order, and realize that you'll need to order it slightly longer to account for the length lost in the pockets.

The best way to use this stuff is with the projector behind the scrim and the viewing audience in front of it. Add just a little fog, and your graphics shows will have the added depth of visible beams while still showing the images on the scrim. Likewise, beamshows gain added depth because you'll have a bright spot on the scrim between the projector and the audience in addition to the continuous beam. (Very cool effect!)

If you need to have the projector on the same side of the screen as the audience, then this netting is not the best material to use, because it allows a significant portion of the beam power to pass through. If you decide to set your projector up on the same side as the audience, then you're probably better off using a blank wall or a standard projection screen (like you'd use for a slide projector or an old 8 mm movie projector) instead.

Adam

Hey Adam -

Good to see you 'back in the saddle', Brother! Hope you're feeling better + better...

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Also, the "slate grey" is the best color to use if you want the scrim to be nearly invisible. I ordered sample pieces (a bit larger than 1 square yard each) in Black and White to test those other colors, and both of them were more visible in both normal lighting and in dark room conditions than the slate grey was. (It's hard to believe, but the black is actually too dark, and thus it stands out like a black hole even in a dark room!)
    Thanks for the review and 'plug'... For any who might not know, Join / share tips / stories / cool pix, etc. here:

http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums/group.php?groupid=2

Yer all cordially invited... And, yes, it's *OK* to post info about other 'non-Skeeta' types of RP scrims / screens / tips, tricks, etc...
    I will be posting yet another 'SkeetaSkrim' success-story soon - a really, really cool shot done with the grey... for now, the shot is 'classified'

Ciao...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Cool

Hi Jon;

Yeah, it's good to be back. Back surgery went just fine, so all is well. Staples come out on the 14th, and then we'll see how long the lifting restriction lasts. (Right now I can't even move my projector because they don't want me lifting anything over 10 lbs!)

Thanks for the well wishes dude!

Adam

Default scrim

For scrim I go to the fabric store and buy nylon Tulle, or bridal illusion. That's the real deal for the price and go with white....

i have found a company in germany that sells it for 13 euro's each meter by 3.10 meters wide

reel laser scrim with metal parts in it

they are making some pieces for me now

8 x 6.2 metres and 8 x 3.10 metres and 5 x 3.1 metres all with rings in it and lead line at the bottem so it would stay tensioned

Looking foward to seeing photos of the custom german scrim
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers