Thread: Cheap red ?

Would probably help people help you if you stated the use you have in mind.

Don't know much myself but most medical lasers seem to be pulsed which makes them unsuitable for audience scanning.

That will be CW, I have seen these before. Casey Stack at Laser Compliance used to build red units with these diodes. He got them directly from SDL, but he told me they were medical. Basically, it looked like one of the large diode bars, but 4W of 630nm out.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

It is coming with a 400 uM fiber, So it will be three to four times the diameter of a classical gas laser or small dpss beam. Still 3 watts of red in 3.5 mm is very respectable.

Older short wavelength diodes are very difficult to collimate and to launch, so I'l leave it in the medical box. They also have issues with back reflections, which can damage the diode, so it is best to keep the factory

As with all surgical lasers, the actual laser is a fraction of the size of that box.

That laser would be used for photodynamic therapy, a type of cancer treatment, and would most likely be CW. As the warning sticker is 3 watts practical limit, I would want to know the actual power before payment. There is no specified ratio of warning power, to real power, it could be as low as a few hundred mW.

Since most of the web references in English are for 690 nM, this must be a newer test device.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 12-30-2008 at 08:12.