Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Guns n' Lasers...

Default Guns n' Lasers...

Yep -
    Guns' n Lasers is the discussion here, not Guns n' Roses
    (Although some of their songs could make for some pretty cool beam shows! )

As a proud owner of both types of hardware, I find it interesting that quite frequently lately, if a discussion comes up concerning audience scanning with lasers, someone makes a comparison to that and gun ownership in the USA. It seems that usually those making that comparison live in a country with strict regulation, if not outright ban, of gun ownership, and, if I were a "betting man", would be willing to wager that those same folks have very little, if any, actual experience dealing with firearms in any capacity.

Frankly, I'm a little perplexed with the guns / lasers comparison!
    So, with that in mind, here goes my 50 cents worth (costs more now due to the crappy economy...):

Guns, to the best of my knowledge, have never been produced or marketed as anything other than weapons, and anyone old enough to go to school probably knows that. Those weapons can be used quite safely for a wide variety of hunting and sport shooting events, which is actually the reason behind owning them for most LEGAL owners of firearms in the USA and other countries. Some states - mine included - do allow properly-trained citizens to carry handguns on them for personal protection, provided VERY STRICT guidelines are followed. We do not walk around with guns strapped to our hips like something out of a old western TV show or movie - that may have been the case in some parts of the country over 100 years ago, but certainly not now!!

There are parts of our country where there seems to be huge problem with illegal guns being used for criminal intent. Generally (but not always), these are going to be big-city problems concentrated around the worse areas of the city - the "hood", "ghetto", "gangland", whatever you want to call it. HOWEVER - I've traveled around the world enough to know that there are areas in cities around the world that have similar "avoid at all cost" areas, whether guns are involved or not!

Unfortunately, bad things can happen when guns are involved, usually as the result of emotionally-driven aggression, carelessness, or just flat-out stupidity. But, then again, the same thing can be said for owners and operators of automobiles - the accidents / incidents that occur are usually the result of emotionally-driven aggression, carelessness, or just flat-out stupidity. Unfortunatley, far MORE people are involved (both numerically and percentage-wise) in vehicle-related incidents than those involving firearms, to the point that while gun-related incidents are generally still sensationalized by the media, most vehicle incidents are so common that they get comparitively little attention. Fortunately, the majority of legal owners of both firearms AND automobiles operate them safely and as intended (although it often doesn't seem that way during rush hour!! )

As far as public use goes, I don't know of a single event where guns would actually be used in public where EVERYONE wasn't made VERY aware of the potential dangers involved. Guns are not used in events where you knowingly just show up and start shooting - there are always very specific controls on who shoots where, and when!! I can't even BEGIN to imagine a scenario where guns were advertised and utilized as part of entertainment for a night club or other general-public oriented entertainment venue!!

Finally, concerning comments that have been made along the way concerning the USA's "love of guns" -

As was mentioned in previous threads, gun ownership was one of the founding principals of our country. While it has been disputed along the way, that principal was one of the big reasons most of us don't speak with British, French, or German accents (no offense intended to any of our European friends ). And, like most of the world, we have had our share of internal strife, and like far too many parts of the world, have been victims of cowardly terrorists organizations that have absolutely no value for human life. But, in our relatively short existence as a nation, we have never been invaded by the armies of some maniacal wacked-out dictator hell-bent on world domination, or had to suffer the effects of some attempted military coup led by some beret-wearing cigar-chomping 3rd-world wanna-be with a Napolean complex!

So, I'm still a bit perplexed how guns tie in with lasers, but here's what I know:

Lasers, for our purposes, are marketed as an ENTERTAINMENT source, frequently made available to the public. As such, the public is generally going to assume that the entertainment is going to be safe for the audience, unless told otherwise. How often, in a club setting, is the audience warned that lasers will be used, and their eyesight might be harmed?

The general population knows VERY little about lasers, other than they look really cool! Most are not going to realize the potential dangers of IMPROPERLY utilized scanning techniques (audience scanning or otherwise). As such, the USA has VERY strict regulations of the LEGAL use of lasers in entertainment, whether audience scanning is involved or not. Audience scanning IS LEGAL in the USA, but the regulations that apply to audience scanning are so restrictive that very few laser operators pursue that option - but are still QUITE capable of putting on some very good laser shows!

The perception for many of us on this forum is that while audience scanning looks cool, it would appear that outside the USA it frequently occurs with little or no regard for the safety of the vision of the audience. Many of the pictures that are posted from events around the world look awesome - but at the same time, many of them APPEAR to be utilizing audience scanning techniques that probably pay very little attention to the safe exposure levels of the people in the audience!

Also, as we all know, this forum is a GREAT place for information sharing from folks all over the world. Audience scanning has, and probably will continue to be, a subject that gets a LOT of attention. I would think that given the numbers of photos of events involving audience scanning that get posted here, if "proper" and safe audience scanning precautions were being followed, they would be openly discussed.

Having said all that -

I still don't get the comparison between lasers and gun ownership in the USA....
    Last edited by Stuka; 01-03-2009 at 12:37.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

VERY WELL SAID RANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think in the most simplest of explanations would be:

people probably just use the gun comparison primarily to portray the *opinion* that in the RIGHT hands (qualified trained professionals) Guns are safe, fun, entertaining, relaxing, and are used for GOOD rather than EVIL!

Lasers can be *SOMEWHAT* comparable. Lasers in the hands of PROFESSIONALS (or rather- educated, trained, smart operators) are used responsibly, beautifully and are safe, fun, entertaining, and are used for GOOD rather than putting green dots on helicopters!

i think people just use the GOOD vs. EVIL vs. Trained and NON-trained analogies to portray their opinions. i, myself have probably used the analogy myself. But i *DO* agree with you.

I think the dangers of lasers are EXTREMELY OVER EXAGGERATED especially here and when it comes to "Audince scanning!"

what proves to be dangerous on paper and in spread sheets and "theoretically" i think we can ALL agree on (for the most part) is not the case in the "Real world!"

DISCLAIMER:

Before we all start getting our panties in a bunch and quoting literary non-sense and studies and numbers and engineers and FAA officials, and our friends who are friends with guys who had their neighbors best friend blinded by a 10mW laser....

i am NOT SAYING that lasers are not dangerous. Of course they are!!!!! im just saying that *MY OPINION* of some of the dangers associated with them are EXTREMELY over exaggerated.

where as the dangers with handguns are EXTREMELY NON-EXAGGERATED. it is a HELL OF A LOT easier to be injured with a handgun than with a laser. And like randy, i dont think a laser should be compared to a handgun concerning the potential dangers.

i dont think "scare tactics" is a productive way to educate and warn of dangers of anything. let alone lasers. it reminds me what teachers used to do during the height of the AIDS epidemic. "If you had sex, you would die of AIDS." there wasnt very good education on the disease, on the precautions, on the ways to put yourself in harms way. it was just- DONT HAVE SEX OR YOU WILL DIE!!!

im with ya randy!

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Guns are legal in europe, but the regulations that apply to having a gun are so restrictive that very few people pursue that option.
    (do you see the the guns / lasers comparison)

The Audiance scanning restiction in the USA is to prevent that stupid people injure other people.

This same rule applies for having guns in europe. Only to prevent that stupid people injure people

Looking at the figures, I would not be proud to have GUN:
    Gun Deaths - International Comparisons
    Gun deaths per 100,000 population (for the year indicated):
    HomicideSuicideOther (inc Accident) USA (2001) 3.98 5.92 0.36
    Italy (1997) 0.81 1.1 0.07
    Switzerland (1998)0.50 5.8 0.10
    Canada (2002)0.42.0 0.04
    Finland (2003)0.35 4.45 0.10
    Australia (2001)0.24 1.34 0.10
    France (2001)0.213.4 0.49
    England/Wales (2002)0.150.2 0.03
    Scotland (2002) 0.06 0.20.02
    Japan (2002) 0.020.040
    Data taken from Cukier and Sidel (2006) The Global Gun Epidemic. Praeger Security International. Westport.
    Now you tell me in wich 3 countries its legal to own gun in your home.

With those numbers I would not be proud to have a gun, and dont want to think wat happens if your depressed puber kid get his hands on your gun.

But this is just my thought...
    Last edited by mccarrot; 01-03-2009 at 09:49.

Quote Originally Posted by mccarrot View Post

With those numbers I would not be proud to have a gun, and dont want to think wat happens if your depressed puber kid get his hands on your gun.

But this is just my thought...
    Well, then it's probably good you don't own a firearm!

As far as the numbers (nice BIG chart, BTW) -

A dozen different "official" reports will tell the numbers a dozen different ways. If you apply that same way of looking at the data to say, personal automobile ownership, I'm pretty sure you'll find that the numbers of fatalities and injuries will increase with the numbers of personally owned vehicles on the road. Simple statistics - the more you have of something in the hands of the general population, the more you increase the chances of an incident occurring, no matter what part of the world you live in. What's interesting in the "data" in the chart is that the actual number of gun owners is NOT addressed, so it gives no indication thet the vast majority of US gun owners are actually very safe, responsible individuals. As I mentioned in my original post, I believe you would find that if gun owners and vehicle owners were compared, the stats would show as a group, the gun owner is statistically much less likely to be involved in an incident - at least, until he/she gets behind the wheel!

I think you would find that most gun owners totally agree with the concerns of the depressed kid getting hold of the gun - which is one reason why responsible ownership and education is so important, an idea which most of us take VERY seriously. I could also see where someone from a country with strict firearms ownership regulations, who has spent little or no time around firearms, would feel very uncomfortable dealing with the subject, and is more likely to base their opinions on "research" posted on the Internet.

For the many hundreds of thousands of gun owners in the USA that grew up around firearms (either directly or indirectly), the use and ownership of guns is a hard-fought priviledge that we treat with respect, not fear.

And, I still think it's totally ludicrous to compare gun ownership to the safe or unsafe operation of lasers in public venues -
    But that's just my thought...
    Last edited by Stuka; 01-03-2009 at 12:46.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

The biggest reason why we have guns in the USA is because of the way our government formed in the first place. Remember; we won a revolutionary war to gain our independence. That was because of many common people taking up guns and defending their own homes. That is why we have The Second Amendment in our Bill Of Rights.

If guns were not in the hands of common people we would have been screwed. Also, it was very important that none of these guns were registered. That prevented anyone else from systematically collecting them before the war.

The sovereignty of our government is STILL based on the idea that if it becomes corrupt (HA!) it SHOULD be overthrown by common militia.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 01-03-2009 at 18:13.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    The biggest reason why we have guns in the USA is because of the way our government formed in the first place. Remember; we won a revolutionary war to gain our independence. That was because of many common people taking up guns and defending their own homes. That is why we have The Second Amendment in our Bill Of Rights.

If guns were not in than hands of common people we would have been screwed. Also, it was very important that none of these guns were registered. That prevented anyone else from systematically collecting them before the war.

The sovereignty of our government is STILL based on the idea that if it becomes corrupt (HA!) it SHOULD be overthrown by common militia.

James.
    Bravo!! Well said!! (or should I say, well posted!!)

(Of course, MOST of my guns are registered - could present a slight problem if I'm still around for American Revolution II...)
    Last edited by Stuka; 01-03-2009 at 12:50.
    RR

Sweet.....

who needs guns when you have jolly green?
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

Quote Originally Posted by gottaluvlasers View Post
    who needs guns when you have jolly green?
    Just call me crazy - I've got both!
    Woo Hoo!!

Speaking of which -
    Please PM me if you have any ideas for a reasonably-priced compact enclosure to house Jolly Green, some ScanPro 30's, and all the "stuff" needed to make it legal!!

My RGB rig is functional, but not really "done" - and that's the ONE and ONLY time I ever plan on completely building a case from scratch with my "Home Improvement" tool-equipped garage!!!
    RR

Sweet.....

Talking

The only time I've EVER seen a laser projector that was "done" was at SELEM, by MechEng3. The ones (yes, plural) that he brought were amazing.

James.

I don't quite understand the comparison either. The very purpose of a gun is to kill or injure another person or animal. If used properly, it can (and will) do exactly this. Lasers on the other hand can be used for many things but, to the best of my knowledge, there exist no lasers designed to harm other people (yet). It is very possible to be injured by lasers, but that only means it was used improperly.

The problem with people having guns, as I see it, is that they escalate conflicts more than necessary, often with unnecessary damage as a consequence. I suspect you are far more likely to get injured or killed in a conflict if you draw your firearm. It must not be used as anything but a last resort.

Having done military service I have training on several weapons and I've carried my Ak 5 around enough to not have any greater desire to hold one again. Now the only "gun" I have is a semi automatic CO2 gun for some occasional practice shooting.