Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: replacing scanners

Default replacing scanners

hey all,
    I have 2 lasers i need to work on. the 1st is a 500mW RGB 20K neo laser. one of the scanners seized so I need to replace it. I have never pulled the unit apart as it has been under warranty but its around 9 months old now and the shipping back to the manufacturer is about the cost of a set of DT25's.

When replacing the scanners do I need to tune them or are they already tuned? When I replaced the scanners on my 1500mW RGB I had to get Oracle to tune them. They didnt come tuned at all.

I also have a cheap 500mW 15k 532nm unit that im looking at upgrading. Im only keeping the diode and box and need to replace the rest, can anyone recommend a kit.

I also have issue with 2 red diodes. they are projecting a square beam. Ive been told the crystals are out of aline and i need to carefully realign them. is this true and how is it done?

cheers
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd17th View Post
    hey all,
    I have 2 lasers i need to work on. the 1st is a 500mW RGB 20K neo laser. one of the scanners seized so I need to replace it. I have never pulled the unit apart as it has been under warranty but its around 9 months old now and the shipping back to the manufacturer is about the cost of a set of DT25's.

When replacing the scanners do I need to tune them or are they already tuned? When I replaced the scanners on my 1500mW RGB I had to get Oracle to tune them. They didnt come tuned at all.

I also have a cheap 500mW 15k 532nm unit that im looking at upgrading. Im only keeping the diode and box and need to replace the rest, can anyone recommend a kit.

I also have issue with 2 red diodes. they are projecting a square beam. Ive been told the crystals are out of aline and i need to carefully realign them. is this true and how is it done?

cheers
    Ben
    For your first questions, the DT25's would do a good job, but what is the scanner mainly used for? beam shows / graphics?

Scanners come usually semi-tuned, but the DT series scanners will get to you in a well-tuned state, as they are tuned right before they are sent out to you.

For the 500mw greenie, you wont need much in the way to replace, basically just the galvo's, some basic wire etc, and a controller (Which I assume you already have?)

And the red lasers having a square beam is fine, you'll find most high power reds have square beams, but mainly the ones that use laser diodes.

Other people will be able to help abit better, but just a general outline

i do have livepro but no DAC, my main laser runs straight from a USB port on my laptop so I mainly use the green laser as a filler for big venues. I was thinking more of adding a memory card and leaving it dmx and sound with a ilda slot.

The 500mW RGB is used in dmx mode only till i get a dac for it. I was going to get one then the aussie fell so its a waiting game again. I have my main laser for graffics so i just use this unit for beam shows.

With the red diodes,
    They still work fine but on yellow beams u can see the red around the yellow. They were fine till TNT couriers got there hands on em.

Hi,

Which Neo Laser units are you using? Most Neo Laser RGB projectors have an FB3 built in which would explain you having Live Pro and no DAC, the DAC is built into the laser projector.

I also think DT25's would be a downgrade as again, a lot of Neo Laser projectors use Cambridge 30k scanners. Neo Laser also have a sealed cavity sesign and the last one I saw had the scanners sealed as well.

Might be worth posting the model name and number and if possible post a couple of pics... Then we can find out more info for ya...

Mark

i have a trinity semi pro but its the disco series laser im looking at fixing. it doesnt have a fb3 like the trinity.

Hey Ben

For the scanner replacement I’d open the unit up and try and work out what scanners are being used, if like Insanity (mark) said and it has CT scanners then you would be going backwards in quality by replacing them with anything else, especially if it using CT6215 scanners.
    Although if it’s only got 20K specs then I doubt its got CT scanners at all!

Like Things said, depending on how you use the laser and your financial situation it maybe cheaper to replace them with DT series scanners, however I do think it would end up costing you more, not to mention the amount of work required to retrofit different scanners.

If you need assistance working out what they are, take a couple of photos and post here, someone should be able to identify them. Take a photo of the scanner amps as well, we all like photo’s around here

If you need any assistance just PM me and we can have a chat to see if I can help. I also live in the city only about 10 minutes away from the gaelic club

One thing to be aware of is that some Scanner/Amp combos are tuned together, for example my CT scanners with Medialas amp are apparently tuned together and you shouldn’t swap the X scanner to the Y Amp and visa versa. And if you need to replace a scanner you’re supposed to return the amp to be matched.

Also, if the unit does have CT scanners you can probably just buy a replacement scanner only and re-tune the single amp.

For the second 500mW unit, apparently the DT40 are getting a good reputation for themselves, again it probably depends on what you want to pay, the options would be to buy a cheap set of Scanpro’s off Dave (located in Melbourne) thus saving on the shipping or getting the DT40 from someone like Stanwax (located in England) and pay a lot for shipping.

Check out www.lasershowparts.com
    or http://www.laser-wave.co.uk

As for the red laser size, this is normal for the “cheaper” red lasers, it a result of “stacking” the beams horizontally and vertically for high powers.
    It’s not until you start paying big bucks do you get beam specks anywhere near that of green or blue.
    Again it might be worth while taking a photo just so we can verify that it isn’t out of alignment

They still work fine but on yellow beams u can see the red around the yellow. They were fine till TNT couriers got there hands on em.

This could just be the Dichro’s that’s become out of alignment, not the laser itself

Troy
    RTI Piko RGB 4 Projector
    CT6215 Scanners & CT 671 Amps; CT6210 & Medialas Microamps.
    RGBLaser Systems 6000mW RGB Module - 638nm/445nm/532
    LD2000 Pro + QM2000.net + Beyond
    Etherdream + LSX

Old Projector Build

Most scanners have a warrenty period of TWO years nowadays ... ask the seller for the manufactuer direct and you could return for direct replacement / repair ...lot cheaper to return a couple of galvos /amps than the whole unit .... and you will get plenty plenty help here to remove correct parts if you post some pics

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

they usually want the whole system returned so it works out to be cheaper and faster if i can do it myself.

i have removed a scanner from the 500mW RGB. I checked the spec on the manufactures site, its a 12k scanner so the DT25's would be a nice upgrade. i'll pull the unit apart and get a pic of the controller boards and power supplies for further advise. i have picks of the 1500mW unit, that uses 2 power supplies bridged, not sure if this unit is the same.

Cool

Lots of good information in this thread already, so I'll just comment on the replacement scanners. If you do decide to go with the DT-25's, I strongly suggest you contact David Zurcher (DZ here in the forums). He's the US distributor for the DT-25's (and the DT-40's) and he hand-tunes every set of scanners before he ships them. When you get them, just drop them in place in your projector and you're good to go.

Adam