Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: ILDA Accreditation

I'll have to say that my first post in this thread was pretty much a knee-jerk reaction to something i might have not understood. I open my mouth when i shouldn't, sometimes.

After re-reading the entire thread along with looking at the Proposed form; the way I understand it might not be that bad.

Look at it from my viewpoint, a brand new person in the scene:

1. You have (or build) your own stuff. Not legal, no variance, no public showings, having a good time in ones basement either with or without off-the-shelf hardware (Pango or a hacked soundcard)- still being safe all the while. Does it really matter if you get accredited? Most likely not.

2. You have (or build) your own stuff. Would *like* to get legal, have the proper paperwork (eventhough it's a pain in the ass), *might* like to give a public show or two (if everything is legal)- even if it's for low or no pay-fundraisers for the kids school come to mind-, have acceptable hardware for public shows and of course being safe all the while. Does it really matter if you get accredited? Maybe

3. Buying or building the stuff, wanting to do a few shows "to help offset the cost of the hobby". I have a feeling there are quite a few people that want to get paid to play and are not legal AND at the same time bitching about accreditation. Brings too much attention right back home, IMO.

4. The big players that of course are legal and are going to get ILDA accredited regardless.

Safety is the utmost importance. It's, IMO, what needs to be accredited.

Courses, classes, tests, ya know, whatever it takes to educate both the operators and the general public.

Just my .000025

james if that happened the way you said it happend (which of course i believe you. youre a stand up guy! ) then, YES. you have a legitimate gripe.

HOWEVER (yes, there is a "HOWEVER")

what does that have to do with this accreditation process?? that was 2004. and that had NOTHING, zero, zilch to do with what we are currently trying to debate now.

in 2004 i also wanted to buy a 3 phase argon laser and everyone laughed at me saying i was stupid.

i now own a 3W melles laser. so, shit happens at certain points in history to make the PRESENT happen a certain way.

i, in all honesty, have heard NOTHING but GOOD things about laserboy. honestly. i think the only somewhat negative thing i ever heard/saw was the lack of a mouse support.

i have heard more complaints about pangolin than i have about laserboy. so, i would feel DAMN proud of what you have come up with. ESPECIALLY for giving it away freely.

if pangolin and/or ILDA dont want any part of it, fine. that is there choice. maybe in their eyes (and i AM NOT agreeing, just offering a devils advocate point of view...) they have bigger fish to fry.

i personally wish they would somehow adapt what you did with pangolin and have ILDA look at what you have come up with in your basement! after all, thats how pangolin started.

the fact of the matter is, your gripes may have legitimacey to them and may be warranted. i dont see how it pertains to becoming accreditted.

there is no accreditation based on software development. or accreditation based on how many people use a software/hardware platform.

be proud of your accomplishment! you have opened doors FOR A LOT of laserists!!

-Marc
    http://www.laserist.org/images/ildalogos/ILDA-logo_colored-beams_Corporate_150w.jpg

ILDA- U.S. Laser Regulatory Committee

Authorized Dealer for:

• Pangolin Laser Software and Hardware
    • KVANT Laser Modules & Laser Systems
    • X-Laser USA
    • CNI Lasers
    • Cambridge Technology & Eye Magic Professional Scanning Systems

FDA/CDRH Certified Professional LuminanceRGB Laser Light Show Systems

One word.

Credibility.

James.

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Question

OK, so pro and amateur is out. lets try this again:

call it the:

Small Laser / Indoor User Safety Certificate

0-500 mW take simple test and 4 math problems. no practicum, maybe set in on 4 hour class. Very Basic, covers things leading to help getting variance/HSE etc permits.Stuff you want to know anyways. When is my laser a hazard, and what can I do about it? Covers club and Dj users who average less then 500 mW, most hobbyists, and the pointer guys. Mentions little things like safety cables for bounce mirrors and what should be in a preshow checklist. How much goggle OD do I need, whats a master shutter, laser classifications, emission indicators, Is DMX safe for pyro etc. Basic stuff that gets asked again and again here at PL. Groundwork for getting hired either as self employed weekend warrier, or a start for the big laser company. You'll be happy after you take this test and a lot more comfortable if CDRH/HSE/DIN/WHATEVER comes for a visit. Be your own LSO and not sweat it.
    comes with a bunch of PDF study guides, maybe a youtube vid or two.

Large Laser / Outdoor User Safety Certificate

500 mW and UP, Outdoors, Q switched, Pulsed, Or Audience Scanning where allowed. Lasers in Airspace. Big Iron. Lasers that need to be on forklifts, Some safety Classroom time required More math, more practical experience in show setup required. Prep for say NYS CLASS B and on the path to being a touring Show-OP or Outdoor Show Aircraft Spotter. You can skip straight to this if you wish, ie take both tests at once. More involved things like 3 Phase hookup and cable, ANSI z.136, OSHA, and a splitting headache after you take the test.

Reason for the split : At not much above 500 mw, scattered radiation is becoming a hazard and you need more training and math. That is why the IIIB /IV split occurs in the rules. IE Your not doing outdoor shows with 500 mW. Also, from a educational standpoint, its best to progress in stages. After all who wants to set for one huge exam at once?, So a split to two levels makes it easier for those who are not full time laserists. More involved things like 3 Phase hookup and cable .

Many of you hate math, I hate math, by splitting the "tickets" I can reduce the math to tolerable levels.

That should reduce the politics.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 01-11-2009 at 00:37.

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post
    Back in 2004, I was in phone contact with Matt P. while he was the chair of the ILDA Standards and Technical Specifications Committee. He told me flat out that he was definitely NOT interested in seeing any kind of demonstration of LaserBoy or its ability to handle 24-bit color information, because as long as he never saw it, he could pretend that it didn't exist. I'm not making that up. That's what he told me when I pressed him. He lives about 25 minutes away from me.

Since he couldn't deal with me anymore, he put me into email contact with Peter J. Peter J. told me that he didn't have time to explain simple data structure and file formats to me and he didn't have to because I'm not an ILDA member.

Since then I've been kicked around in private and public by several people on several different forums.

That's not a conspiracy. That's the truth.

I think it's WAY past time that I get a public apology from those people and a total retraction of everything negative they've ever said about me.

Fix the f&%king file format.

James.
    Here you go again.

i really whas thinking you were doing better and moved on to better things..
    Sorry james you really are pathetic when you behave like this...

come on.... you should be better than this
    Move on.. don't cry/complain..... if the osftware is as good as you preach it is... people can't get around it in the future.
    The problems you encounter are mainly because of your internetpersonality and the way you act.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    Getting an award doesn't make you better than someone who never bothers to try for an award.
    I agree with this point. Several people have protested the *absolute* requirement to have won an award. I don't have a problem awarding "bonus points" if someone gets an award, but it should not be a primary qualification. I also don't agree with the "5 letters of recommendation" requirement.
    Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    Some money has to be paid in order to keep it going. It isn't govt funded as far as I know.
    Exactly. The higher cost of this accreditation program (higher, that is, compared to membership dues) will give ILDA extra cash to pursue other programs. Remember that Patrick is talking about rolling out an individual certification program that *will* have more emphasis on training. Not sure exactly what form that will take (there's been talk of both on-line training and also face-to-face seminars), but they are still kicking things around.
    I don't think Pangolin is in bed with ILDA. I think that they just stay involved. It's always the ones that stay involved that get their way.
    I agree that Pangolin is *not* in bed with ILDA. However, I seriously doubt that Pangolin has anything to do with this accreditation program. First, they are not a laser show production company, so they would have little hope of qualifying. Second, I haven't heard Bill saying a whole lot about the initiative on the ILDA list server. And finally, given Pangolin's current reputation I hardly think they *need* any more accreditation...

The people that *are* pushing for this are the major laser show production companies. They are the ones that stand to gain the most from it. (Check the posts on the list server... LaserNet is certainly involved!) From what I've heard from the few ILDA board members I've contacted, the general thinking is that the big boys have been the one's supporting ILDA the most over the years, and they want a little return on their investment. And yes, most of these companies are located in the US, which is why the international community is not nearly as enamored with the program as companies like LaserNet are.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the program so long as a few changes are made to make it fair for all companies, and not just the ones that already qualify by default. After all, it's unlikely that any of the hobbyists here are going to pony up $600 just so they can be "acredited". Marc might be interested in doing so, and I'm sure there are a few others here that might, but really this is aimed at the folks doing shows full-time year-round.
    If everyone of us on PL joined ILDA I am sure we could make a difference. But, who really cares enough? I don't.
    We can influence this accreditation program without being members. Patrick made it clear that he was open to feedback from both ILDA members and non-members alike.

As for joining ILDA and making a difference in other programs (such as safety, public education, or even revising some of the draconian laws we face here in the US), I think that is a laudable goal, and is one reason I paid my dues. I think there are enough hobbyists here to make a difference in ILDA, if we all bothered to care enough to make a change.

Patrick once told me that things progress in ILDA at the speed of volunteers. That's a telling statement. If we as a group were to get more involved with ILDA, there is much good that could come out of it. (I've actually asked him for ideas on how hobbyists could become more involved.)

Then again, it's a lot easier to just sit here and complain about it while sitting in our comfy chairs in front of our computers, isn't it?

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post

call it the:

Small Laser / Indoor User Safety Certificate

0-500 mW take simple test and 4 math problems. no practicum, maybe set in on 4 hour class. Very Basic, covers things leading to help getting variance/HSE etc permits.Stuff you want to know anyways. When is my laser a hazard, and what can I do about it? Covers club and Dj users who average less then 500 mW, most hobbyists, and the pointer guys. Mentions little things like safety cables for bounce mirrors and what should be in a preshow checklist. How much goggle OD do I need, whats a master shutter, laser classifications, emission indicators, Is DMX safe for pyro etc. Basic stuff that gets asked again and again here at PL. Groundwork for getting hired either as self employed weekend warrier, or a start for the big laser company. You'll be happy after you take this test and a lot more comfortable if CDRH/HSE/DIN/WHATEVER comes for a visit. Be your own LSO and not sweat it.
    comes with a bunch of PDF study guides, maybe a youtube vid or two.

Large Laser / Outdoor User Safety Certificate

500 mW and UP, Outdoors, Q switched, Pulsed, Or Audience Scanning where allowed. Lasers in Airspace. Big Iron. Lasers that need to be on forklifts, Some safety Classroom time required More math, more practical experience in show setup required. Prep for say NYS CLASS B and on the path to being a touring Show-OP or Outdoor Show Aircraft Spotter. You can skip straight to this if you wish, ie take both tests at once. More involved things like 3 Phase hookup and cable, ANSI z.136, OSHA, and a splitting headache after you take the test.

Reason for the split : At not much above 500 mw, scattered radiation is becoming a hazard and you need more training and math. That is why the IIIB /IV split occurs in the rules. IE Your not doing outdoor shows with 500 mW. Also, from a educational standpoint, its best to progress in stages. After all who wants to set for one huge exam at once?, So a split to two levels makes it easier for those who are not full time laserists. More involved things like 3 Phase hookup and cable .

Many of you hate math, I hate math, by splitting the "tickets" I can reduce the math to tolerable levels.

That should reduce the politics.

Steve
    GREAT ideas!

I could see where the Safety Certificate program could be used in conjunction with the ILDA accreditation program, and would be a great building-block process for those of us who hope to progress towards someday performing safe, legal, shows, but perhaps aren't quite there yet!

I see your ideas as complementing - not replacing - the ILDA accreditation. There would probably be some overlap / repetition in ideas and requirements between the programs, but it seems that is generally the case anytime "professional" certifications are involved, whether it be in the civilan sector, government, or military.

So, when can we start signing up for the "Small Laser / Indoor User Safety Certificate" training?
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Hey Patrick -

Thanks for making the time to post, here...

Quote Originally Posted by ildadirect View Post
    Jon --

Sorry for not getting back to you. There have been many messages and I haven't had time to adequately address them all.
    Understood, and please don't mis-understand my posting that you 'did not get back to me' - not a 'dig', I had just wanted to get some feedback to my thoughts, while the 'idea train' was fresh... the brain 'spoils' much quicker than food!

Your proposal is a very interesting one. I like many aspects of it. ... I will say that your proposal and ILDA's Accreditation plan address slightly different things.

The ILDA Accreditation proposal sets a specific "bar" or level to be reached. Some companies already reach this bar; others will probably need to take some actions, courses, etc. before they reach the bar.
    And again, I applaud the 'concept' of 'motivating' Co's to 'better themselves', not just with accolades /awards, but technically, creatively, building a good reputation in the industry (not just with Clients), and give of themselves to help others - all - but, again, the issue I raise is the 'approach' - the way the 'bar' is now, as-proposed, I submit is not a 'fair approach' to those Co.s that DO, in fact, 'reach the bar' / should-reach 'the bar', based on experience (ie Jim M. there...) - again, I do see it as potentially misleading if Co's are ILDA Members, but not seen as 'accredited' - the whole 'IN' or 'OUT' approach I think is too 'club-like' - like folks have said - appears 'elitist', though I know that is not the intent / goal of ILDA...

My thoughts are simply to find a WAY to have it be more 'neutral' in appearance... like, 'facts are facts'...

Under your proposal, a smaller company will always be at a disadvantage over a larger company. The smaller company might be just as competent (at least, for certain types of shows), but the larger company looks better in terms of employees, equipment, number of shows performed, number of awards won, etc.
    Well, that is IF the Smaller Co CHOOSES to HAVE an 'Expanded Profile' - clearly, it would do a small Co. no good to post: 'In Biz: 6 mo.; Shows: 3; Awards: 0; Significant Achievements: 0, etc... I would think that MOST at that 'level' would wisely 'opt-out' - Yes, true, Co's can choose - or not - TO BE 'accredited', but I feel it could result in more of a 'negative implication' for those that 'appear-not' to have a 'Seal of Approval' - it's all about how a CLIENT will perceive this program, NOT what it means to US, internal-to the industry... a 'facts are the facts'-approach allows for Co's to present themselves for what the they are, and let Clients 'judge'... But I also agree that that 'approach' is not 'perfect', either... just food for thought...

Additionally, ILDA Accreditation serves as a carrot to help improve the laser industry.
    So would 'I am Co X, and I don't want an 'Expanded Profile yet, cause it would-look embarrassingly-empty - I'd better get to work!'... BUT, meantime, a potential Client does not mis-read that as = 'un-professional' - they just see an ILDA Member (which should-count as = 'professionalism') who simply 'didn't opt' to list more details - I submit it would be less-likely to be mis-interpreted as the lack-of a 'Seal of Approval', though is is intended as just a 'higher goal' to reach...

Don't get discouraged. It took about 4-5 years for the Professional Status Committee efforts to go from a proposal to the draft released last week.
    Thanks for the 'encouragement' , but I know this is NOT about Jon R. OR DSLI - this is about everyone voicing concerns / angles-of-view, to craft this into the 'best approach' - for ALL - I certainly hope those (and I expect they have) of our 'International brethren' have-already emailed you / ILDA with such-like suggestions / ideas, not just 'I don't like this'-posts on ILDA lists...

Please feel free to call me at 407-797-7654 anytime to talk about your proposal and any other concerns.
    Thanks very much,
    Thanks, will-do... Anyone else like or hate the 'Expanded Profile' concept? For those that may like it, how could it be better? Category-change suggestions? More? Less? International-perspective? Or does nobody give a guano? I'll be very keen to see your idea, there, Steve...

Anyhoo, I step-off the soapbox, now, too...
    peace...
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by James Lehman View Post

In a way, it is the same reason why I think it is a bad idea to do any audience scanning. The general public simply can not make an informed decision for themselves about their own exposure tolerance.

James.
    On that point James I'd have to disagree. As someone who lives in Europe, the land of the laser free, I wouldn't want to see a show unless it involved audience scanning. It really makes a measurable difference to my enjoyment. Its the difference between feeling I'm in a real club or a pseudo one. The key is not, not doing it, but doing it safely.

This is at least one good reason why any safety course needs to be cheaply or freely accessible to all and include audience scanning safety / software access and taken preferably online so as to keep cost / trvelling down.

I also disgaree with compulsory certification to own a laser. There becomes a point where people and government agencies have to take responsibility for policing the proliferation of unsuitable technology. The last thing we need is big brother watching us all and making us pay for ever more expensive and restrictive licences. You only have to look at UK gun licensing to see where that leads. America has only escaped that because fo the Constitutional right to bear arms. There is no constitutional right to bear lasers and some should consider that before calling for big brother regulation. Far better to encourage Customs etc to police the import market and the police to police laser miscreants, than to police the responsible owners through licensing.

As for accreditation, I think as I said above the course needs to be approved or accredicted (in small print) although personally, I have no problem with ILDA members being able to attain extra endorsements / awards from ILDA provided those are over and above the safety course and are something that maybe they've chosen to demonstrate on a voluntary basis to ILDA. Its not unreasonable to expect ILDA members to get something extra for their membership such as the opportunity to gain awards. However, gaining a safety qualification shouldn't be dependant on membership or experience.
    Last edited by White-Light; 01-11-2009 at 10:28.

Hey Steve-

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    AWESOME.

I'd love to have a 'coffee and sketchpad'-session with you sometime about how we could 'distill the wine from the grapes' out of the CDRH-regs / safety-docs (ie "Laser Show Safety - Who's Responsible - excellent min-level doc, that every laserist - pro or hobbiest - should-be REQUIRED to have-read / understood...) and NYS Class-B Licensing regs (we can at-least distill the 'real-world' stuff out-of Code Rule 50 - I mean, who, here, really needs to know how-best to use a 'laser transit'? ) as-it-relates to your idea, here...

I do certainly see the merit in having this, at-least, be 'rolled-into' an 'accreditation / certification' but I also hear the other arguments (ie Pat B's comments) about the 'thin-ice' of doing that - ie: if a bad accident ever DOES happen (NOT talking about carelessness / recklessness, like the Moscow-morons, I mean a true accident...) ILDA will be GONE, if it was done by an 'ILDA-Accredited Member' - the 'Washington-mob' won't listen long-enough to realize that blame belongs only where it belongs...

But anyhoo, to your efforts, and lemme know if I can help...

ciao
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...