Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: ILDA Format BS

I do it because it makes me feel good to bring new ideas out of "there" so I can make them real and work "here"; where I can share them with "you".

I honestly feel like I am channeling.

I don't feel like I own all of the ideas that come out of LaserBoy development. I feel like those ideas are all interconnected and just waiting to be realized.

Good math that works well begets better math that works better.

I would rather stack up good ideas that will outlive me than stack up gold.

I can give away all of my good ideas and still have them to make more.

James.
    Last edited by James Lehman; 01-13-2009 at 16:46.

Exclamation Hey, Hey, Hey!....

Quote Originally Posted by heroic View Post
    Think of it this way, without those of us pushing the technology, everyone would still be watching L_ _ _ _ _ _ _ abstracts and we wouldn't have outstanding graphic shows at all!
    Suggestion: Edit your post and change the specific ref to 'Laserium' in your 'less-than-flattering' example, there, cause these posts show up in Google-alerts via keyword-spiders, and I'd be willing to bet you'd rather not have the 'Father of the Laser Show Industry' email you - or post, here - and give you a 'public spanking' for that comment (since some of the most timeless laser graphics (oh, AND abstract-shows, too, btw...imagine that show, RP, with beams...) have come from Laser Images...

I am pretty-sure I understood where you were 'coming-from' with your comment, and didn't really mean any 'disrespect' (since, I'm sure you know without the 'technology-pushers' at Laser Images, we probably wouldn't be watching laser shows at ALL... where would we be without Laserium, eh? ...But I can't speak for them, other than to say I know for a FACT, they GET nearly every post, here - and elsewhere - about them.. (...might just be smart to not use a history-making Brand to make your point, dig?

Not trying to 'stir-up trouble', just a friendly 'word-to-the-wise'... May I suggest "LISSAJOUS abstracts"?...

peace..
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

In the beginning GOD created Ivan Dryer...Everything after that is just a cheap imitation There is one for the spiders.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Laserman532 View Post
    In the beginning GOD created Ivan Dryer...Everything after that is just a cheap imitation
    ...in the Name of Photons...Amen.

..but you'll always be 'Apollo'!!!
    j
    ....and armed only with his trusty 21 Zorgawatt KTiOPO4...

Quote Originally Posted by dsli_jon View Post
    Suggestion: Edit your post and change the specific ref to 'Laserium' in your 'less-than-flattering' example, there, cause these posts show up in Google-alerts via keyword-spiders, and I'd be willing to bet you'd rather not have the 'Father of the Laser Show Industry' email you - or post, here - and give you a 'public spanking' for that comment (since some of the most timeless laser graphics (oh, AND abstract-shows, too, btw...imagine that show, RP, with beams...) have come from Laser Images...

*shrug* He can yell at me all he likes; those early shows pushed the technology back then, and everyone knows that they were performed with gear hacked together by hand that was just good enough to work. Now, we're pushing the technology from another angle, making it cheaper and higher performing. I don't see how I was being less than flattering- a modern laser show like one of Hugo's OPSL extravaganzas resembles a Lissajous-heavy analogue light synth performance in the same way my Macbook Pro resembles a Commodore SX64, and the Laserium guys would be the first to admit it.

In fact, they'd be the first to say "look how cool all this new technology we had to develop to get from there to here is!"

If you think I was being unflattering, so be it. The Model T Ford sucks by modern standards. I think you get my point. :-)

I had a friend who used to do those old shows. He said they'd do stuff like put vaseline or rubber cement on glass for lumia effects.

Would you call that analog or digital?

James.

I call it goop on glass.

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    I call it goop on glass.
    Silicone on insulator?

(joke)

Seriously, I have great respect for the guys who got all this stuff started in the old days- and those guys agree, things have moved on tremendously. Let's not get lulled into a trap of "good enough" when we can open things up ever more- those old scanners rarely achieved more than 4k, now any goof with the cash can buy a 40k scanner off the shelf! I think with better electronics we can drive even current scanners to even greater heights.

The "limits of the medium drive the art" fallacy is one that the video art world has been grappling with since the early days. The reason it's a fallacy is, if you want to go back to the limits, you're free to do so; but you're also free to exceed them if you want. Here's to a brave new future of 400k scanners!